Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VAYASAN

Is RW successful/dying/doing well?

46 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

It's not so much the coverage of the paint, but that the cavalry have So. Much. Trim. It's almost obscene.

And then there's Lord Hawthorne.  You call that trim? Hold my beer.

Either the light is tricking me or thats partially unfinished because that looks like a purple horse to me lol (left one)

My painting speed quota is definitely higher than yours. I aim to paint a tray a day, whenever i get the chance to sit down that is (monday/wednesday/thursday im usually too busy to paint at all). I can paint two cavalry in about 3 hours, but im not joking when i say i spend almost an hour on the gold trim ALONE

I'd share a pic but the only one i have available (at work atm so cant snap one) is much too dark to really see anything. I am pleased with their results, but gahh GOLD TRIM MY BANE! (inb4 new bane token... "Trimwork" spend to waste a turn)

This is where the whole natural light/dark contrast i mentioned in the "How much primer?" thread comes into play. I do very little highlight work and my models dont seem flat (any showcase painter would beat my socks off, but your run of the mill tabletop painter would be jealous)

And yeah Hawthorne was worse. I probably spent 4hrs on him alone, both because for some reason i had an issue painting his face and SO MUCH TRIM lol

So far (havnt really touched my elves) the only models i breezed through was my waiqar. Theyre blackmetal armor w/ no trim, dark leather, and frosty-blue bones with blue-washed silver weapons. I think i painted an entire core of them and Maro + 1 archer box in a week lol.... (their theme is based on the Lich King)

Edited by Vineheart01

1 hour ago, Click5 said:

Man I thought I was going to roll right through the archers.  I primed leather brown, drybrushed highlights, cut in the green.... uhg, now I'm stuck on skin and hair, details, starting blending grey transitions on the bows, highlighting black boots.  Why didn't I keep it simple!?

I think I did 5 color, shade everything, only highlight armour and cloth, move in with life, no blending on those.  Dead simple for the foot. So many figures.

It's not doing great as far as I know in the Utah County area of Utah, but there are a few of us that play.  I end up playing whenever I like because of family, but if you lived here it probably wouldn't look great.  That said, other areas of the country seem to be doing a lot better.  I trust that a larger community in other areas will eventually result in a surge here.  That being said, Utah is known for being a hive of star wars fandom, so I'm sure Legion will hurt Runewars locally despite the fact that the games are nothing alike.

44 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

My painting speed quota is definitely higher than yours. I aim to paint a tray a day, whenever i get the chance to sit down that is (monday/wednesday/thursday im usually too busy to paint at all). I can paint two cavalry in about 3 hours, but im not joking when i say i spend almost an hour on the gold trim ALONE

1 hour for base coat on the gold trim sounds about right.

I think that horse is a trick of the light/camera.  Its actually grey.

12 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

Looks blue and black to me
The_Dress_(viral_phenomenon).png

wisetiger7 and Curlycross like this

2 hours ago, Hawkman2000 said:

Technically we got four factions Year One, assuming Uthuk drop on time. I just don't see this game holding up well without some customization in terms of finding an army you like. 

Competitor wargames out there have 10+ factions for the most part and people find the one that fits them best. If we're only thinking/hoping 5 factions in Year Two, that's not enough to really get tons of people in and grow. 

by competitors i assume you mean 40k/AoS/Warmahordes?

40k/AoS has been around for eons (technically AoS hasnt but it was once known as Fantasy) and most of their factions are utter garbage, only seeing play because the models and/or lore is awesome.
Warmahordes was almost just as bad prior to Mk3 (from what i hear anyway i got out of it before mk3 hit so i havnt played it). None of the factions were 100% useless but they were definitely on a severe disadvantage (trolls....). not to mention in 40k HALF OF THE RACES are technically the same friggen faction to begin with (Imperium)

Malifaux is a different game entirely, the card system turns most people i know off of that one by itself (and even the people i know that play it complain about it).
Infinity is dead far as i can tell. I havnt seen or heard anyone play that in years (even my die-hard friend that played it hasnt touched it in years, and he used to never shutup about that game)
Flames of War is pretty much limited to old-timers who probably served in a war themselves.

What other competitors are there? The only other miniature games i can think of are incredibly small and not known very well.

I would much rather have 4-6 very well fleshed out and balanced factions than 10+ factions where half or more of them are unplayable junk (orks in 40k for the past 8 bloody years practically)

Edited by Vineheart01
Click5 and Glucose98 like this

I used Vallejo Model Color Airbrush Gold on my Daqan.  It covers in one pass and flows super smooth, and there's no fussing around with thinning it to the right consistency.  It sped up the process quite a bit.  

Still tedious as all get out though

Contrapulator and Tvayumat like this

47 minutes ago, Click5 said:

I used Vallejo Model Color Airbrush Gold on my Daqan.  It covers in one pass and flows super smooth, and there's no fussing around with thinning it to the right consistency.  It sped up the process quite a bit.  

Still tedious as all get out though

Quoted for Vallejo Model Air.

Their metallics are great.

2 hours ago, flightmaster101 said:

it does, I think I trim the basecoat on a cav in 20 min/figure  VMC metallics are also very good, so are P3.  Have had no coverage issues on trim with any of them. 

13 hours ago, flightmaster101 said:

I would love to see a link to the picture to compare it to what I'm doing.  Of course you may be aiming for a pace that is way faster than mine.  I aim for a tray a week, but I'm also only painting humans up to X-bows and then switching wholeheartedly to Elves.

Edit:  Actually here is an idea of what I'm doing.  I also mattspray the entire model and then brush on gloss coat over the metallic colors.

20170609_113449.jpg?w=840

Just to pitch in - I did my friend's Daqan in reverse to what you usually see. Primer, metallic spray and then painted everything but the metallic trim with like... size 4 or 6 brush. Fewer controlled brushstrokes you need to make the quicker you'll get everything done.

Edited by Polda

We're heading into our first store championship in Brisbane with 4 tables and possibly 5.  For a game that has only been on the market for a few months that's not too bad.

OzKillswitch likes this

6 hours ago, Polda said:

Just to pitch in - I did my friend's Daqan in reverse to what you usually see. Primer, metallic spray and then painted everything but the metallic trim with like... size 4 or 6 brush. Fewer controlled brushstrokes you need to make the quicker you'll get everything done.

Thank you for mentioning that. I did the same on accident to my first couple cavalry. By which I mean, I painted them completely metallic, then changed my mind and filled in between the trim with a different color. Looking back, it was actually a lot faster and easier that way!

Polda and flightmaster101 like this

20 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

I would much rather have 4-6 very well fleshed out and balanced factions than 10+ factions where half or more of them are unplayable junk (orks in 40k for the past 8 bloody years practically)

While I know that bashing on GW can be fashionable, they still do make one the most successful minis games of all time. I would say that as recent as 8th Ed WFB, that about 75% of the factions out there saw active play in my area. Absolutely their were flavors of the month based on new army book bumps, but it was more than just people playing armies for fun or fluff. 

Look at how many people on this board have stated themselves or have stated on behalf of people in their gaming communities "I'll start playing when Latari/Uthuk drops". How many more players are waiting for dragonkin, orcs, dwarves, etc. FFG needs bigger diversity to sustain this game and give people a reason to play it over GW or other competitors. More factions is not a bad thing even if they're not fully fleshed out yet. I would take multiple army choices with limited troop types over few army choices with tons of troop types any day. 

Hepitude likes this

9 hours ago, Polda said:

Then you are a more confident painter than I.  I go from deep to raised to avoid costly mistakes.

25 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

Then you are a more confident painter than I.  I go from deep to raised to avoid costly mistakes.

it is certainly more difficult, but I had Polda's exact thought (but at the end I don't like spraying on the horses at all given where I need them sprayed and how I was dumb and glued on the riders most the time)

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:07 AM, Vineheart01 said:

Area-dependent.

In my area we got like 4-5 people. Not that amazing. But i hear in other areas its very popular.

i think it'll be around for a long time.

Actually our area has at least 7. There are 5 in my group and two in yours. Which for a town of 250k and most of them focused on 40k or armada that's not horrible :P .0028% of the population :P

6 minutes ago, Curlycross said:

Actually our area has at least 7. There are 5 in my group and two in yours. Which for a town of 250k and most of them focused on 40k or armada that's not horrible :P .0028% of the population :P

xwing* you mean lol i know very few people that play armada. Part of the reason i got out of it was because i grew tired of facing the same 2 people (and almost never losing...something about that game clicked with me but not them even though in xwing i dont beat them remotely as often)
edit: Rephrase that -> theres very few people i know that play armada consistently. I know of about 7-8 people, but all except 2 of them are virtually impossible to get a game with.

And i thought there were 3 in your group. Mabad lol. One of these days we need to just flood GG and try to get others interested, since if theres multiple games going on people are more keen on trying it.

Edited by Vineheart01
Curlycross likes this

Not much movement in the south of Spain, not yet dead (it might soon be dead, this is not a too gamer zone).

The unbalance between daqan and waiqar that I percieved prevented me from becoming a regular player. Most waiqar in my region are trying to sell them. I don't know if the situation has changed with the last releases.

On a first sight wraiths look much more powerful than scouts, but I'm not sure