Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VAYASAN

Is RW successful/dying/doing well?

46 posts in this topic

Just wondered how you guys perceive this game to be coming along considering its still relatively new?

Ive heard various comment ranging from -  'its failing' through to 'its doing really well'.

I have a core set (painted) but I realise now I just dont have time to play, nothing against the game itself.

Seems to be doing fine, especially with a re-print of the core happening so fast. I think the only thing 'hurting' it, is the lack of 4 factions at release.

A lot of people I talk to in the area are interested when they look at it but want to see more released before committing.

Considering its been less than a year and the current factions have 7 units lined up by the end of the year, there's still a lot to bring new players in down the road.

Wraithist, maxam and OzKillswitch like this

I'm very optimistic about the future of the game, and I think it's healthy right now, but one thing that does worry me is the amount of skus and shelf space a store is going to have to dedicate to the game 

The expansion boxes are needlessly large and in a minute here we are going to have a ton of them.  I'm afraid that stores which don't carry the game yet might be reluctant, even with developing player interest, because of the investment involved with the line.  

The game has a huge amount of announced content at the printers and on the boat.  I think it's doing pretty well given that, since new releases drum up interest.  The  3rd race is about to be 'fully' available shortly when all the Elf expansions get to shipping, which will pull in more people too.

I don't think this game will ever have as big of a following as the Star Wars IP, but it does have a really good ruleset that has very little issues (so far).  The pace of this game is great.  All the downtime is done simultaneously with your opponent when you set the dials.  Then you resolve the turns, making smaller decisions.  It really plays at a really quick tempo.  Also, the command dials are amazing.  There is an insane amount of design space with the dual-dials, ALONG with the variable initiative numbers.   Every unit is slightly different.  

I'm just a fan of what this game offers.

maxam, Click5, Shadow76 and 1 other like this

Not to mention the stances.

Two unit could have virtually identical dials but while one has a white Skill and a blue Shift, the other has a blue Skill and a white Shift. These two units will perform completely different, despite having basically the same dial.

maxam and Parakitor like this

Its doing very well where I live. We have people going out consistently for weekly games, two stores setting aside nights for Rune Wars and supporting escalation play and stuff. One of the guys who works at the store has been putting out painting videos and stuff and were about to have our first 200 pt tourney which is looking to have 7 or 8 players.

All this is pretty good signs of life for a minis game that came out 5 months ago. With more factions will bring more interest, and more people bringing painted armies out to store nights will increase the draw. 

So, long story short, its looking good in my area.

Darthain likes this

We have 4 players now, with some murmuring about people being interested in Scions. Not bad for our area (think 36 people being a great number of players for our Nations which we share with Czech Republic). The last two guys were waiting for the elves. 

The gameplay being unexpectedly quick helps it as well. Even at 200 points it's not a larger time commitment than say X-Wing.

It's hard to get people interested in a game that takes a week to setup and a quarter of a year to play like Armada for example.

Unlike Armada and X-Wing there are no people who bought it to play at home or to display the models on shelves. Nobody plays Armada in our local store but it sells out no problem for Runewars everyone who bought an Army box or Core set(s) did so to play in the store.

Edited by Polda

If FFG can stay with the current release schedule and maybe get out three more factions next year, I would say Year 3 of RW will be perfect. At 7-8 factions to choose from RW can really compete with AoS, 40k, Warmahordes, Malifaux, etc. Right now it's still too young and it's anyone's guess as to how much FFG will really end up putting into it. 

If they stay at just 4 factions, it'll be a tough climb to earn new players. Not saying they will, that just represents the opposite end of the spectrum. 

3 factions next year? thats ambitious.

I wouldnt expand that rapidly. Too easy to screw up and create a useless or OP faction.

Not to mention that means less units for other factions.

I wouldnt be surprised if we get a 5th faction next year but not 3 lol
(i want orcs...hint hint ffg)

Edited by Vineheart01
Jukey and Darthain like this

I am trying to get my area growing.  There are about 4 of us and only the 2 of us who play regularly.  When Uthuk come out I hope to get our local gamestore league to 6-8 people.

Any suggestions on how to get people hooked would be welcome as well.

I fully expect this to be 4-factions only for awhile.  I just don't see FFG adding more complexity to the builds then what they already have?  I would think most people could be happy with one of the four they have available?

Best way to hook people is to get them in pairs, and make them realize they can each buy a core set for $80-100, swap Daqan and Waiqar and basically be able to field a 200pt army already.  Cheap entry point!

Also it may be worth introducing it to Armada / X-wing players.  Show them the command dials, the movement templates, the rank and file threat / reroll rules etc .  It's not that hard to pick up when you've played other FFG games.

The painting slog, all three factions now, has held me up from trying to demo it hard in the Tacoma area, but I'm about at that point now.  There's a really big wargaming community around here, so hopefully I can build up some interest.  It's too good of a game to not play

23 minutes ago, Click5 said:

The painting slog, all three factions now, has held me up from trying to demo it hard in the Tacoma area, but I'm about at that point now.  There's a really big wargaming community around here, so hopefully I can build up some interest.  It's too good of a game to not play

I hear you, trying to get an elf starter done real quick for that purpose. 8 archers in... The least effort applied unit 1/2 done...

Click5 likes this

My original intent was to get 200pts of each army, paint them, and then demo the crap out of this game.

I kinda shot myself in the foot with my daqan scheme. Really, really should not have done gold trim...that almost doubles the paint time and especially on cavalry its ridiculous lol. They look awesome but my god they take me forever...2 more cavalry and i'll have my 6 trays of oaths done finally.... (was intending to finish that sunday but my arm decided it wanted to whack the door so i couldnt paint lol)

18 minutes ago, Darthain said:

I hear you, trying to get an elf starter done real quick for that purpose. 8 archers in... The least effort applied unit 1/2 done...

Man I thought I was going to roll right through the archers.  I primed leather brown, drybrushed highlights, cut in the green.... uhg, now I'm stuck on skin and hair, details, starting blending grey transitions on the bows, highlighting black boots.  Why didn't I keep it simple!?

1 hour ago, Vineheart01 said:

3 factions next year? thats ambitious.

I wouldnt expand that rapidly. Too easy to screw up and create a useless or OP faction.

Not to mention that means less units for other factions.

I wouldnt be surprised if we get a 5th faction next year but not 3 lol
(i want orcs...hint hint ffg)

Technically we got four factions Year One, assuming Uthuk drop on time. I just don't see this game holding up well without some customization in terms of finding an army you like. 

Competitor wargames out there have 10+ factions for the most part and people find the one that fits them best. If we're only thinking/hoping 5 factions in Year Two, that's not enough to really get tons of people in and grow. 

18 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

My original intent was to get 200pts of each army, paint them, and then demo the crap out of this game.

I kinda shot myself in the foot with my daqan scheme. Really, really should not have done gold trim...that almost doubles the paint time and especially on cavalry its ridiculous lol. They look awesome but my god they take me forever...2 more cavalry and i'll have my 6 trays of oaths done finally.... (was intending to finish that sunday but my arm decided it wanted to whack the door so i couldnt paint lol)

What gold are you using?  Some have better coverage than others.  Retrubutor armour by citadel for instance would be better than auric armour gold.

Its not the coverage, im using armypainter gold and it covers quite well. Its the tons and tons of thin lines thats the issue lol.

For the most part i dont even need to do multiple layers, except on the edge of the shield for some reason.

19 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Its not the coverage, im using armypainter gold and it covers quite well. Its the tons and tons of thin lines thats the issue lol.

For the most part i dont even need to do multiple layers, except on the edge of the shield for some reason.

I would love to see a link to the picture to compare it to what I'm doing.  Of course you may be aiming for a pace that is way faster than mine.  I aim for a tray a week, but I'm also only painting humans up to X-bows and then switching wholeheartedly to Elves.

Edit:  Actually here is an idea of what I'm doing.  I also mattspray the entire model and then brush on gloss coat over the metallic colors.

20170609_113449.jpg?w=840

Edited by flightmaster101
maxam likes this