Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TIE_Actor

Help me understand the sheild generator

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys. Been looking at the rules and trying to make sense of this one. The rule books says that in ADDITION to the normal rules, Shield generators are placed where there is at least one imp unit. The RRG however says that remote systems cannot be deployed to remote systems. What exactly am I missing here? How do you deploy these things?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, first. The Imperial unit you are referring to is the "Shield Bunker". Rebels have shield generators with completely different effects.

Second, Shield Bunkers break the standard rule on deployments. Here is the relevant section of the Rise of the Empire Rules...

 

Quote

 

Easy Deployment: In addition to normal deployment rules, a Shield Bunker may be deployed to any system that contains at least 1 Imperial ground unit and does not contain any Rebel units. The planet’s loyalty does not matter.

 Local Reinforcement: When a Shield Bunker is in a remote system that does not contain any Rebel units, the Imperial player may deploy units to that system as if it were a loyal system. This cannot be used during the build step in which the Shield Bunker is deployed. Note that deploying a Death Star to this system counts toward the limit of deploying 2 units during the Refresh Phase.

 

The "In addition to normal deployment rules..." part means that you can deploy Shield Bunkers like other units, if you want. But they also have this special power where you can deploy them without regard to the loyalty of the planet. Does that clear it up?

davidumstattd likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(assuming you mean the expansion's imperial Shield Bunker, not the rebel Shield Generator from the base game)

Shield bunkers ignore the "only populous systems" rule, for both their deployment and for unit deployment in future rounds.

 

EDIT:  yeah, what RobertK said. ;)

Edited by phaze
ninja'd!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sort of? So to deploy this to a remote system, does an imperial trooper need to be there first? If so, can I just drop off a ground unit on a remote system as if it was populous?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TIE_Actor said:

sort of? So to deploy this to a remote system, does an imperial trooper need to be there first? If so, can I just drop off a ground unit on a remote system as if it was populous?

Technically speaking it could be ANY ground unit and not only if there is a trooper in that system. Then if you have a Shield Bunker in a remote system you can deploy units as if it were a populous system (the only restriction is that you cannot deploy other units on the same turn you deploy the shield bunker)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

Technically speaking it could be ANY ground unit and not only if there is a trooper in that system. Then if you have a Shield Bunker in a remote system you can deploy units as if it were a populous system (the only restriction is that you cannot deploy other units on the same turn you deploy the shield bunker)

ok. Thanks. I think I got it now. I just wasn't wrapping my brain around it. Normally, there wouldn't be a reason to drop a ground unit off on a remote system because you cant subjugate it. With the Shield Bunker now, you need that first unit there, can deploy there like a normal planet, which will help your Death stars and what not and probably if you wanna put a base or token marker there or whatever.

 

I was having a hard time figuring out why you would even want to build one at a remote system for a minute. Thanks for the help guys.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is normally a reason to drop a ground units off on remote systems.  If the rebel base is there, it won't be revealed unless you place a ground unit there, it doesn't reveal for just a space fleet.  Thats the normal reason for moving your troops to a remote system.

coastcityo and davidumstattd like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jobu said:

I think there is normally a reason to drop a ground units off on remote systems.  If the rebel base is there, it won't be revealed unless you place a ground unit there, it doesn't reveal for just a space fleet.  Thats the normal reason for moving your troops to a remote system.

Good point. Wasn't even thinking about the rebel base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0