birds85

Question about talking in game

6 posts in this topic

Hi, i have a question, what is your opinion about this situation:

I and my friends have been playing in TI3 with both expansions, and there was a wierd situation:

It was a 5 round,

player1 have 5 points to end game, and secret still non complete
player2 have 6 points to end game
one of the Objectives is "I control 11 planet outside HS"

player2 (is neightbour of player1) is looking into planets of player1, but he have a mess and he is unable to count player`'s1 planets. Player2 ask questions "how many planets outside HS do you have now, please tell me the truth because I can```t't count it you have mixed it with rafinery, tech and I cant do this on my own".
Player1 said: Now I have 9
Player2 is doing some move for himself, non important in that case

Player1 take control on next 2 planets (so he have 11)
Player2 skipped his move by action card.
Player1 said pass
Player2 take one planet from player1 (and he have 10 planets)

Everybody pass, status phase start, and Player1 is claiming objective with 11 planets.

My question - can Player1 do that? Is this ok?

In the status phase the condition "I control 11 planet outside HS" must be true for the player who claim it. If P1 HAD 11 planets is not relevant. P1 must control at list 11 planets outside his HS in the very moment P1 claim that objective.

propably You don`t understand me.

Player1 Had 11 plantes outsite HS in Status Phase, but he lied to Player2 about it when Player2 ask about number. Player2 had multiple possibilities to make his move to take planets from player1 but he didn`t have to after asking.

Can player lie about his influense, resourses, trade goods and planets amount?

Yes, I misunderstood.
I don't remember if there is any rule about that. Anyway I think that every player should pay attention to what others are doing. Maybe P1's move was not fairplay but P1 can tell what he wants untill P1 allow other players to look at his informations for any check.

The planets each player controls are public knowledge. It is just good sportsmanship to keep your play area arranged neatly enough that the other players can accurately judge that public knowledge and to outright lie about that information I would consider basically cheating and probably not play games with that person again. 

Since the number of planets owned is public knowledge, player 1 was untruthful if he/she had 10 planets but said 9. I don't think it's against the RAW to lie but one must take into account the trust issues when doing so. Especially when it's about things that are supposed to be public information. Now it IS possible that player 1 in this example simply made a mistake and THOUGHT they had only 9 planets only to discover the tenth planet later but I kinda doubt it... Personally, I would probably avoid dealing with that player following an incident like that.