MrMustang

Include all Missions in App to come. Let the staff know

23 posts in this topic

Hey all i know i am eagerly awaiting the app and one of the main reasons is so that i can play missions i have not seen or even play one in preparation for weekly campaign nights that i play the imperial. So if you want this too lets tell this developers know in this thread with a simple +1 or a reason why.  

If it's like Descent's app, I'd imagine there will be a new campaign to start with, rather than rehashing the missions from the core set.  Hopefully there will be some sort of support for Skirmish mode as well.  

Edited by tafattel
Vazzucious and BlodVargarna like this

1 hour ago, Drteeth1118 said:

The only app I've used from FFG is the Mansions of Madness app. It has all the expansions on it. Why wouldn't the IA app have all the expansions?

Bear in mind that Mansions of Madness SECOND EDITION was designed with the app, you can't play it without the app. You don't have any of the first edition scenarios or many of the components (like cards) supported.

We know the IA app will support all the expansions similarly to how the Descent app supports all its expansions, meaning figures and tiles will appear in the app maps. However  the campaigns and the side missions from the figure packs were not designed with the app in mind and will likely not be reflected in the app, at least not in their current forward. They were balanced for a human Imperial player, and the app will not have an AI to make necessary decisions.

Also the cost will likely be prohibitive to included all the existing maps. There will likely be a new campaign with a few side missions, and a completely different design to how earning figures will be handled. I can't imagine the Imperial classes or agendas being present in their current format, more likely random events similarly to the MoM mythos phase. And villians will probably appear pseudo randomly like the MoM monsters do.

7 hours ago, Drteeth1118 said:

The only app I've used from FFG is the Mansions of Madness app. It has all the expansions on it. Why wouldn't the IA app have all the expansions?

But the MoM app doesn't have the "missions" from the expansions, just the tiles and monsters. All missions are new (or adapted, I don't know).

I know I'm possibly in a minority of one here but I'm not really that excited by the App. I understand why others might be but, having used the Descent app a reasonable amount, I found the experience a little overlong, clunky and ultimately empty. 

The Descent app doesn't track much other than the knocked out/ defeated status of the heroes and groups. It doesn't track where enemies are or their wounds. 

It adds extra abilities to the monsters (extra layers of rules to remember - yah!?) and you end up making lots of AI decisions anyway (which hero to attack if they are equidistant etc).

I found that it was slow to play compared to a regular game of Descent (2nd edition obviously - it's lightning compared to 1st Ed 😁)

My son and I enjoy Descent and IA very much with various groups of differing abilities but never felt the urge to try the Descent app more than 3-4 times. It's just less fun beating an iPad rather than your dad I guess 😩

8 hours ago, Suhawk75 said:

I know I'm possibly in a minority of one here but I'm not really that excited by the App. I understand why others might be but, having used the Descent app a reasonable amount, I found the experience a little overlong, clunky and ultimately empty. 

The Descent app doesn't track much other than the knocked out/ defeated status of the heroes and groups. It doesn't track where enemies are or their wounds. 

It adds extra abilities to the monsters (extra layers of rules to remember - yah!?) and you end up making lots of AI decisions anyway (which hero to attack if they are equidistant etc).

I found that it was slow to play compared to a regular game of Descent (2nd edition obviously - it's lightning compared to 1st Ed 😁)

My son and I enjoy Descent and IA very much with various groups of differing abilities but never felt the urge to try the Descent app more than 3-4 times. It's just less fun beating an iPad rather than your dad I guess 😩

But I guess for others it would be more fun to beat an ipad then having the game collecting dust on the shelf because they don't have a regular group committing to campaign.  

I play both ways, solitaire (with Redjack's automated version) and with a group of friends.  I enjoy both ways.  Playing with friends brings the social experience where IA is one of our "excuses" to gather on a Friday night to eat chips and candies, to drink beers, to play a great Star Wars theme game and to bring a little childhood in out adult life.  Then I play IA on my own in my garage because I just can't get enough of that game!

I'm excited for the app mainly for the possibility of having a new campaign but could live without it.

Edited by IanSolo_FFG

16 hours ago, neosmagus said:

We know the IA app will support all the expansions similarly to how the Descent app supports all its expansions, meaning figures and tiles will appear in the app maps.

We don't know this with certainty but it is a good educated guess since all of the missions to date were balanced around a human Imperial player and not an AI.  Given how much time has elapsed since the initial announcement of an IA app, I hope it's more than just a rehash of the Descent app.

NeverBetTheFett likes this

+1 for the app even coming out

+1 for the app not riddle with bugs

We are getting greedy here. We will hopefully get the app and if it is successful more will be added to it to use all the different expansions and units in a meaningful way.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:12 AM, TylerTT said:

The App will more than likely be an entirely different kind of game. Old missions are likely not compatible. 

I wonder (and REALLY hope) that they are trying to get a way to play the movie heroes in the app or in a mode of the app.

I've only recently been playing IA campaign. Up until then, I'd mainly played skirmish. Personally, I love the idea of one person being the GM, so I really hope it doesn't completely get away from that. In saying that, it will allow players to play solo, which is kind of cool too. I have played Mansions of Madness and really enjoy it, but I definitely don't feel like it accurately replaces a GM. GMs that are good agitators (like me) make the game more fun! You just have to make sure that you occasionally take your foot off of the accelerator pedal and let the heroes have some triumphs.

IanSolo_FFG likes this

2 minutes ago, Mep said:

@NeverBetTheFett While it is hard to say for sure since new Descent products stopped being produced when the app came out, I doubt they will stop doing player run campaigns in future products. There is space for them to both exist.

That makes sense. Like some people will still want the old school player GM game right? I know I enjoy both player GM and AI GM for different reasons.

It will be interesting to see how class cards are applied. Like sometimes, I like to hold them back to give the rebels a break, or use them when they least expect them :P. I assume the AI would be more ruthless! 

Just now, NeverBetTheFett said:

That makes sense. Like some people will still want the old school player GM game right? I know I enjoy both player GM and AI GM for different reasons.

It will be interesting to see how class cards are applied. Like sometimes, I like to hold them back to give the rebels a break, or use them when they least expect them :P. I assume the AI would be more ruthless! 

Keep in mind Mansions of Madness went all digital since being the DM for that game was a huge chore. I wouldn't say the Descent app is ruthless but it is soulless. Exactly how good the app will be since AI wasn't designed from the ground up to be a half digital game is questionable. The expectations are high and while the Descent app isn't bad, I wouldn't say it provides as good experience as a player DM.

I am not sure what the next AI product will look like but I feel it would be a mistake if they didn't include player run campaigns and went all digital.

Suhawk75 and NeverBetTheFett like this

Since the In Flight Report 2016 I have been thinking (and sometimes saying) that an app can't possibly capture all the nyances and competition that playing against other people can. Playing solo/co-op with an app is just another (a different) way of playing, like skirmish, campaign, play by forum (much more strategic than real-time on the table), and possibly two-handed solo, or using RAIV.

machfalcon likes this

18 hours ago, Mep said:

@NeverBetTheFett While it is hard to say for sure since new Descent products stopped being produced when the app came out, I doubt they will stop doing player run campaigns in future products. There is space for them to both exist.

They have a huge license with SW and I can't see FFG not wanting to make money on it. There is so much untapped from the SW Universe and even with Legion pulling resources I highly doubt we have seen the last of any new IA, why would they leave money on the table and risk the ire of the mouse for discontinuing a product. If anything I think the app will spur on even more sales much like D2, which had a lot more content than IA does now, 7 expansion boxes, 9 Hero & Monster packs (4 heroes and 12-15 monsters) and 20 LT packs.

18 hours ago, a1bert said:

Since the In Flight Report 2016 I have been thinking (and sometimes saying) that an app can't possibly capture all the nyances and competition that playing against other people can. Playing solo/co-op with an app is just another (a different) way of playing, like skirmish, campaign, play by forum (much more strategic than real-time on the table), and possibly two-handed solo, or using RAIV.

Agreed. Nothing can replace a salty human GM Imperial player. Think of all of that downtime while the rebels are deciding on their turn order and strategy from round to round. The ap would just be running background music. I'd be making quizzical looks and making moans and groans about every little move them make. I also like asking, "so you sure you want to open that door"? Don't get me wrong, I'm not heartless, but it does add someting extra to the game. 

1 hour ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

Think of all of that downtime while the rebels are deciding on their turn order and strategy from round to round. 

My group has gotten so slow at this.  I used to never understand when people said they just played a 4 hour mission, as mine were almost always under an hour.  Now, they way overanalyze everything, and we can easily go 3+ hours.  I generally make pretty quick turns still, but my Rebels are getting really into it now (so I guess I can't complain too much).

Some of my personal favorite lines I've used:

"While you were deciding on what to do, the next wave arrived and I painted it".

"A trailer for Episode 9 came out during this turn."

"IA just got an article on the FFG site while you were ordering your XP cards" (Ok, I haven't used that last one, but maybe in the future)

45 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Some of my personal favorite lines I've used:

"While you were deciding on what to do, the next wave arrived and I painted it".

So funny!  May I ask the permission to borrow it for my group :lol:

53 minutes ago, IanSolo_FFG said:

So funny!  May I ask the permission to borrow it for my group :lol:

LMAO! I too would like to licence that if possible? LOL! I'm totally using that one! :D