Gaming4Goodness

A-Team Inspired PCs, Episodic Adventures

20 posts in this topic

My twin boys and their best friends (also tweenage twins) asked me to create A-Team inspired SWRPG characters and short, weekly adventures for them. My wife and I invited the boys for weekly overnights (Friday evening through Saturday supper), because their grandmother is going through difficult cancer treatments; their parents use the time wisely to help her. Recently, my elderly dad fell and is going through in-patient clinical rehabilitation for about a month, and I'm helping mom manage their household, too.

Can you help me, please? I own all three CRBs and career rulebooks (and dice), but feel more than exhausted in my creativity at the moment. The boys offered the following in yesterday's planning session: 

1) One wants to be a Wookiee using blasters.

2) One wants to use the Force, but only minimally, and maybe eventually build a lightsaber (explicitly for defense). 

3) One wants to be a soldier with extensive military experience and associated skills.

4) One agrees to play whatever part will best help the group, with no initial preferences.

5) They will help the common person fight typical A-Team villains and injustice in that plot vein.

May I please have suggestions about species, careers, stats, and starting equipment for these boys? Do you need any additional information? I searched the boards for anything "A-Team" related but found nothing. Thanks in advance.

Its a classic party. A face/talker character, muscle/mechanic, pilot/driver, leader/organizer.

For Hannibal, mercenary soldier mon cal

Wookie, outlaw tech or rigger 

Bothan charmer face

Sullastan pilot

Gaming4Goodness likes this

You might want to consider using the adventure and starting characters from the EotE Beginner set. You could easily tailor the characters to the desired state.

so sorry for all the suffering surrounding you and yours, glad you have a healthy release.

check your PM's :)

Edited by Bojanglez
SFC Snuffy and Gaming4Goodness like this

Bojanglez' suggestion to use the starter PCs is a good one. Character creation is pretty quick, so don't get too concerned with everyone getting their character "right." One of the cool things with an episodic format is that each player can have a small 'stable' of PCs to choose from, maybe one from each line? If they get a mission brief beforehand, they can choose a character to run during that adventure. Over time, favorites will develop but having some flexibility will ease some of the angst over party roles. To start, I'd suggest that everyone have at least one human and one non-human PC if you plan to interact much with the Empire and confront institutional racism (I know it's deep, but everything's a teachable moment).

If you haven't already, head over to BeggingForXP.com and read their "Session 0" article. It sounds like you're already partway there. Mining your players for ideas on locations and NPCs not only increases their investiture, but it really helps suspend disbelief and immerse them in the world you're creating together.

As story ideas go, it sounds like a hybrid Age/Edge campaign. Depending on which way you lean, I'd use either Duty or Obligation, but not both.

I wish you luck, and I hope you'll come back with any questions that arise, and (eventually) tales of the group's great adventures!

Basic scheme can be party witnessing something grossly unfair (with the bad guys being REALLY bad guys). They mediate to make things right. Things do not go so well and they end up captured in a speeder barn (with a few spare lascannons around) awaiting the stormtroopers or ISB that are coming to get them. Time for inventive. 

The characters they described are more or less MA (wookie), Face (lightsaber), hannibal (soldier) and you can always have a crazy pilot or whatever. Make sure everybody is high on Mechanics or similar to build stuff in those barns. 

I will second the usefulness of the EotE beginner Set. Additionally the free pdf download follow-up adventure "Long Arm of the Hutt" is great overall, but the first Act/Arc is Pure A Team, "Save a small town from criminal thugs". There is even some construction equipment as set pieces that could easily be "A-teamed" up into some crazy contraption!

Gaming4Goodness and SFC Snuffy like this

This is what I'd do. Initial story is a platoon of local army people on a planet that's just been placed under imperial control. Something out of the way but not to far out. They are good soldiers following what seem to be regular orders till they are asked to arrest people who are deemed rebel terrorists. As they transport them to prison they find out that the empire isn't benevolent but malevolent. This prisoner has important info to give and doesn't want to be interrogated and give up the crucial information under torture. They have a choice become fugitives and free the rebel or choose to be complicit in the horrors of the empire.

2 hours ago, ThreeAM said:

I will second the usefulness of the EotE beginner Set. Additionally the free pdf download follow-up adventure "Long Arm of the Hutt" is great overall, but the first Act/Arc is Pure A Team, "Save a small town from criminal thugs". There is even some construction equipment as set pieces that could easily be "A-teamed" up into some crazy contraption!

was thinking about it last night and the Krayt's Fang could have a holonet receiver that is tuned to a privately run criminal syndicate that is broadcasting jobs and targets that the players could intercept, enabling them to get with the victims, A-Team style, before the criminals come crawling.

++ Extortion Opportunity: A colonist is opening a new bar in a frontier town on Tynna. Ensure proper protection payments are arranged++ [translates to the players protecting the bar as it nears construction]

++ Kidnapping Opportunity: Imperial informants have noted that the Empire plans on seizing the laboratory and research notes of a scientist on Genassa as his research into an improvement in the standard formula of bacta, the Syndicate wants to get his work first and sell it to the highest bidder. [translates to the PC's beating both the ISB and the syndicate to the punch and rescuing/kidnapping the scientist]

++ Hostage Exchange: Three rebels agents are being held at a syndicate compound on Velmor and the local warlord wants muscle as she attempts to strikes a deal with local Moff++ [translates to the players breaking the rebels out of a makeshift prison]

so many possibilities :)

Gaming4Goodness and SFC Snuffy like this

Okay, we're all throwing out goofy suggestions - but in all seriousness, THE BA Baracus build? Outlaw Tech + Rigger + Inventive Creation. They have a custom vehicle that's tougher, faster and more maneuverable (plus the boost to charm, coercion and bargain when near the vehicle), can build anything with just a little bit of time and a bunch of spare parts, and is a pretty good brawler. It's like the devs had a photo of Mr T taped to their monitor when writing that skill set.

Just now, Gaming4Goodness said:

My twin boys and their best friends (also tweenage twins) asked me to create A-Team inspired SWRPG characters and short, weekly adventures for them. My wife and I invited the boys for weekly overnights (Friday evening through Saturday supper), because their grandmother is going through difficult cancer treatments; their parents use the time wisely to help her. Recently, my elderly dad fell and is going through in-patient clinical rehabilitation for about a month, and I'm helping mom manage their household, too.

Can you help me, please? I own all three CRBs and career rulebooks (and dice), but feel more than exhausted in my creativity at the moment. The boys offered the following in yesterday's planning session: 

1) One wants to be a Wookiee using blasters.

2) One wants to use the Force, but only minimally, and maybe eventually build a lightsaber (explicitly for defense). 

3) One wants to be a soldier with extensive military experience and associated skills.

4) One agrees to play whatever part will best help the group, with no initial preferences.

5) They will help the common person fight typical A-Team villains and injustice in that plot vein.

May I please have suggestions about species, careers, stats, and starting equipment for these boys? Do you need any additional information? I searched the boards for anything "A-Team" related but found nothing. Thanks in advance.

I pity the fool that gives in to the dark side. Gimme a couple of days to marinate the ideas in some creative juices and I'll bounce a few character ideas your way. 

Really glad to see this thread. I found another one that was same op. But no responses so glad it's a double post thing.

Anyways I've got few basics sheets on my pc at home will send them over in a pm later.

Also there are tons of free pc sheets from ffg that you can use

So I threw a few characters together using Oggdude's character generator and here's a rough description of my ideas: 

Baraccosh, Wookie Ace Rigger with Heavy as a second specialty. Brawn increased to 4, talents geared toward vehicle mods and effectively wielding big honkin' guns. 

Dirkib N'Dekt, fills the "Face" role and the guy who wants to be force sensitive as a Twi-lek Consular with Sage (primary) and Niman Disciple (second) specs. Starting level of Influence force power and skills and talents geared toward Negotiation. 

Mer'Doc Dwite, Corellian Ace Hotshot with Gambler as a second spec. Agility and Intellect boosted to 3, Skilled Jockey and Grit. Probably the most straightforward build.

Hanbul Peppard, Cerean Commander (though in hindsight I might remake him as a Devaronian or a Mandalorian) with Tactician as primary spec and Recruit as a secondary. Intellect boosted to 3 and the rest of the points spent to make his skills well-rounded and add a few handy talents.  

These characters were pretty fun to build, and I can PM the full builds to you if you'd like. Maybe they'll serve as inspiration for you to make your own with an A-Team feel. Either way I hope you have fun with the idea.

ThreeAM and SFC Snuffy like this

I agree with others that the Wookie best fills the role of B.A. Baracus.  I would go Soldier: Heavy, with Driver as a second specialization.  This will adequately fill the player's desire to use blasters, plus take advantage of the Wookie's prodigious strength when using heavy weaponry.  Heavy makes the character pretty durable to boot.  He'll also have access to Brawl as a career skill, so he can tear off limbs if he wants to fullfill that stereotype.  Driver scratches the B.A. itch well by giving the player access to Piloting: Planetary and Mechanics and talents for such.

For the player who wants to have the military-oriented character, he could be the group's Hannibal.  Go with Commander: Tactician, then tack on a Soldier specialization.  Choose one that suits the kind of military experience the player envisions his character as having.  Commando or Trailblazer are good, as they offer Survival as a career skill and give some talents for such, which would synergize well with the talents on the left hand side of the Tactician's tree.  On the other hand, Vanguard pairs well with Tactician if you're interested in really maxing out the Bodyguard talents.

Edited by Atticus Havelock
Bojanglez likes this

I did a thread like this earlier on, but never finished the builds, so thanks. I might use these to help me. On thing I need:  I was going to make a one shot con game with them, and that usually gets 6 pcs. Who else could we add. The reporters? Lynch somehow?