Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dicepool

Multiplayer rule soon ?

31 posts in this topic

Nope.  I'd prefer they get the 2 player game going first, an RPG, maybe another board game or minatures game, then consider L5R LCG with more than 2 players.

Brekekekiwi and d4vr0s like this

16 minutes ago, Dicepool said:

Hi gentlemen,

Do you confirm that L5R could be a really nice multiplayer LCG with some variants ? An official rule in the starting blocks ?

I can't wait for multiplayer rules for L5R! 👍

As of right now we are all waiting for the release of the game, but hopefully by the beginning of 2018 we will have rules for multiplayer; where this game will shine, in my opinion. 🐉

L5R is being designed as a competitive 1-on-1 game, and all efforts by the company are better invested in considering exclusively that direction. Design and playtesting of even the occasional card taking in accout several formats would simply dilute those efforts.

L5R has a long history of community-designed variant formats and I honestly think that's the way to go for multiplayer. If there is a demand for the format, I have little doubt you can make it happen. Only, don't lay that on FFG's shoulders.

Also, you may be interested that there is already a Rokugan based game in the works that has been designed as multiplayer: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/battle-for-rokugan/

There is clearly going to be a multiplayer version, just a matter of when.  Look at the wording of Secluded Temple "After the conflict phase begins, each opponent who controls more characters than you" This card text only makes sense if there are more than 2 players.

JJ48, OsramTaleka, Duciris and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, DarkHorse said:

There is clearly going to be a multiplayer version, just a matter of when.  Look at the wording of Secluded Temple "After the conflict phase begins, each opponent who controls more characters than you" This card text only makes sense if there are more than 2 players.

I disagree, in the sense that its function in head-to-head is easily understood as well.

While I hope and predict this is not the case, it's possible they worded the card this way so that players who wished to invent their own unofficial, multiplayer variant could do so seamlessly.

Edited by Ide Yoshiya

57 minutes ago, Ide Yoshiya said:

I disagree, in the sense that its function in head-to-head is easily understood as well.

While I hope and predict this is not the case, it's possible they worded the card this way so that players who wished to invent their own unofficial, multiplayer variant could do so seamlessly.

Well yes it clearly works one on one as is, I took that as given.  I meant the wording is future-proofed to allow for multiplayer down the road. 

JJ48 likes this

I think a better question is should there be? While I'm all most 100% sure we'll see some sort of official rules for a multi-player at some point, I hope it's just geared for casual play and not used in tournaments. Doubles format for tournament play would be fine imo, but multiplayer makes it more about who you know at the table, how much you are liked, and/or how well you negotiate more than how good of a player you actually are.  As many great stories as there are about multiplayer games in old5r relatively few of them occured in a competitive setting.  By all means give us some multiplayer rules, just save it for the kitchen table.

shosuko and Chron73 like this

The playgroup I generally try new games with is usually composed of just three players, so I'm only really going to be able to try and get my friends in on this game if it adds multiplayer rules. Right now, some of the cards are very clearly written to work with more than two players, which is why I find it odd that we're not getting multiplayer out-of-the-box (I find it unrealistic to think that they'd bother balancing things with homebrew modes in mind). L5R is a game about options; there's seven different clans with unique play styles, and there's three different possible victory conditions (with breaking provinces also giving you the option of whether to focus on military or political conflicts). Options is one thing I look for in any game, and it's something I love about L5R. Even though I have zero interest in making an honor or dishonor deck, I love the fact that it's available because it means the game will also be appealing to players with different interest than me. I also understand that while certain players are going to want a multiplayer mode, others will want to strictly play 1v1. Both desires are valid, and a great game would satisfy both crowds.

So, with that being said, why on earth is it that some people are rooting against Nu5R having a multiplayer mode? I get that some people aren't interested in playing it--if that's the case with you, that's fine, just don't play multiplayer. But asking FFG to exclude all gametypes except for the one that you are interested in? That's pretty selfish.

OsramTaleka likes this

I think that FFG has no plans at the moment, but is carefully wording cards to keep options open for the future. For those concerned about multiplayer tournaments, those were VERY rare in the CCG, usually designed as special events (and possibly non-sanctioned, but I don't really remember). It was mostly done in casual play, because it creates a different environment where diplomacy was a factor.

1 hour ago, Mirumoto Shiroiken said:

I think that FFG has no plans at the moment, but is carefully wording cards to keep options open for the future. For those concerned about multiplayer tournaments, those were VERY rare in the CCG, usually designed as special events (and possibly non-sanctioned, but I don't really remember). It was mostly done in casual play, because it creates a different environment where diplomacy was a factor.

And I'm totally in board for that when FFG does finally do something official, which I think they will.  I'm totally up for getting some friends together for some multiplayer.  What I'm not to fond of us driving 10+ hours to play a tournament in which I get ganged up on by a bunch of people who know each other 

Mirumoto Shiroiken likes this

The official War of Honor GenCon tourney was a giant mess, since it was rife with collusion.  That is why they switched to the Big Deck format, at least according to the person who ran the big deck tourney.

1 hour ago, Mirith said:

The official War of Honor GenCon tourney was a giant mess, since it was rife with collusion.  That is why they switched to the Big Deck format, at least according to the person who ran the big deck tourney.

Oh god, I had blacked the memories of that tournament out of my mind. 

First round getting paired up in a pod with two Spider zombie decks that were teaming up (since first and second-place in a pod moved on), and the fourth player not wanting to do *anything* to try to stop them... yeesh. Freaking cowardly Crane.  

two player games already go longer than I wish they did.

Adding additional players will result in a game that takes an entire afternoon to finish.  I am not sure that is something I am, personally, interested in right now.

2 hours ago, Mirith said:

But as i heard, WoH side toruney at Sheffield Worlds in 2014 went ok. But they used modified pairings/scoring system.

2 hours ago, Yogo Gohei said:

two player games already go longer than I wish they did.

Adding additional players will result in a game that takes an entire afternoon to finish.  I am not sure that is something I am, personally, interested in right now.

I think multiplayer games would go much faster and favor the decks that break provinces better. You could easily do multiplayer without changing any of the core mechanics or card texts. Determine player order, then go thru each phase in player order. Each player would have 2 conflicts per round as well. Imperial favor is determined as usual. First player to break an opponents stronghold or 25 honor wins, if you get to 0 honor you lose, but game continues. This means each round will likely have 5 attacks instead of 4 possible. This will result in greater potential for breaking provinces. 

Oh man I hope not. Almost every card game either shines in one arena or the other. If a game is made to be a dueling game that's where it should stay. There are multiplayer card games out there if that is what you want. Don't ruin a perfectly good elegant dueling game by adding all kinds of multiplayer nonsense that just doesn't belong.

It is ludicrous to think that they have no plans for this. It's just a matter of when. They didn't focus on it being competitive in multiplayer before with thrones so it is likely they won't put much effort into it this time either.

OsramTaleka likes this

5 hours ago, Tokhuah said:

Has anyone tried playing a normal game with 3-4 people?

First I need to locate a third or fourth person. That ought to become easier for me once the game is out, though.

Mirumoto Shiroiken likes this

9 hours ago, Tokhuah said:

Has anyone tried playing a normal game with 3-4 people?

How?

There is no obvious way to make the draw phase work.

In a four player game there would be one player with the lowest and everyone else compare to them.  This could create a huge honor gain issue so you could limit the gain to four, with the rest being discarded to the pool.  Example:

Four player Honor Bid:

Player A: 4

Player B: 5

Player C: 3

Player D: 2

Players A-C would lose a total of 6 honor.  4 would go to Player D and the rest would be discarded.  This would keep the potential total honor gain in line with the main rules.