Sign in to follow this  
Cuthawolf

What Expansion pack is essential for Imps?

So I'm not a new player, but I'm thinking of trying my hand at flying Imperial ships. I have the Core Set, Arquitens and Rogues and Villains sets as it pertains to Imperial ships/squadrons. Rebel wise (for upgrade cards) I have CR90, Neb-B, MC-30c, MC80, MC80 Liberty and Rebel Fighter Pack 1 and 2.

What expansion pack would you consider essential for a starting Imperial player in my position? I'm leaning either ISD or waiting for the Chimera Re-Paint since that gets me more fighters and intensify forward firepower (whatever it ends up doing). Thoughts?

13 hours ago, Cuthawolf said:

So I'm not a new player, but I'm thinking of trying my hand at flying Imperial ships. I have the Core Set, Arquitens and Rogues and Villains sets as it pertains to Imperial ships/squadrons. Rebel wise (for upgrade cards) I have CR90, Neb-B, MC-30c, MC80, MC80 Liberty and Rebel Fighter Pack 1 and 2.

What expansion pack would you consider essential for a starting Imperial player in my position? I'm leaning either ISD or waiting for the Chimera Re-Paint since that gets me more fighters and intensify forward firepower (whatever it ends up doing). Thoughts?

Quasar Fire expansion 

-You get disposable capacitors to significantly help you core set VSD.

-You now have a dedicated squadron pusher

-Sloane is the only admiral to really do anything for your 6 TIE Fighters and Dengar

You will be stuck in a rather niche fleet for a while, but at least you can make something happen with an Arq, Quasar, and gunboat VSD

Edited by Church14

Wait long enough and you'll get every ship as an answer...

ISD is pretty **** important.  It's a powerful ship with a lot going for it.  Two ISDs are a viable list, especially in higher point encounters.  The upgrade cards between the new and old ISD will be different.  So getting one now wouldn't really detract from your need to get the other one.  However if you are only going to get one, I'd probably wait and get the chimera.

Gladiator is a mainstay of a lot of fleets.  The demolisher can be dropped into just about any list and work well.

Fighter packs are always a good idea as they give you a lot of options.  To that end, Correlian Conflict is something to consider too even if you don't play to play the campaign much. 16 new fighter squads (cards only) for the wave 1 fighter packs (8 new squads for both factions, 2 per fighter type for each of the wave 1 fighters).  So this would add a little more to your rebels also.

Dice are a must. An ISD is good as a center piece and when the Chimera comes out that will be another ISD and variant cards. As for squadrons 2 of IMP pack 1 and 1 of IMP pack 2.

Now they've done a good job of spreading the cards out, and it depends, as others have said, what do you want to fly. and what upgrades you want. This site will be good to list models and cards http://starwars-armada.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Armada_Wiki.

I bought at least 2 of every ship and even the rebels (But only one of their larger ships), and I enjoy flying them now and then for a change.

Also check this site out http://xwingtactics.blogspot.com/ good guide. 

What kind of budget do you have for this? What sort of fleet do you want to fly? 

Both squadrons packs are a must for each side IMO and the squads in CC come for both Rebels and Imperials and are worth having.  

Mostly it is a question of what you want to do. I'd look up a fleet you think you'd like to fly and get the stuff for that. Maybe figure which Imperial expansion only upgrade you'd really like for your Rebels fleets and base it around that. 

19 hours ago, Cuthawolf said:

Normal ISD wil be the quickest way to get a playable fleet together. You are hurting for points so that would be my pick.

Vader and JJ are both excellent choices for what will be available to you. Needa + TRC will make an excellent Arquitens.

Edited by Doppelganger

It used to be Demolisher in a Gladiator pack, but I think my say would go to the Imperial. It's the most expensive ship in the game... but also the most versatile. As your collection grows with more things you can add more to your Imperial. It's a solid contender that performs many roles.

The Chimaera may be interesting but I would also recommend that as a second purchase rather than the first. I get the sense that's more an enhancement for ship runners that already have larger collections (and thus, multiple ships that can use the Cymoon/Kuat cards). Skip over it if you feel you can make a workable strategy out of one of those designs, or you really want Thrawn...

21 hours ago, Cuthawolf said:

Both Imperial squadron packs.   You should also consider the Correlian Conflict set for its additions to Squadron pack 1.

Imperial players really get the short end of the stick out of the core set,  but they get excellent ace pilots for fighting off Rebel bombers. 

*Flies through at Spd4 with his pants on his head*

RAIDEEEEEERRRRRRRR!!!!!!

But actually, the first ISD kit, and Fighters II. I regularly regret not having an ISD whilst list building.

The ISD is the first ship you can really build around and quickly fill out a 400pt list with, so I'd probably say that. Very honourable mentions to the Quasar to boost both your squadrons and your Victory, and the Gladiator, which is just a solid all-round threat. 

An ISD/Vic/Quasar and ISD/Vic/Glad can both be neat little builds with just what comes in those two expansions. A lot of fun to be had there, and in very different play styles. 

The ISD. It's durable, hits hard, runs squadrons, and maneuvers well. When building an Imperial list, you have to have a reason NOT to include one. It is the best ship in the game. The only reasons not to buy one are you don't have the cash or you already have one. ;)

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the feedback, especially with a question that's as vague and subject to taste as the one I asked. I'm on a fixed income, only about $40CAN or so a month to spend on extras, but I'm not opposed to saving up for the bigger ISDs and such. As for what fleets I enjoy flying...honestly I'm not sure anymore. I find the squadron game intensely frustrating but that may be individual ham-handedness with rebel squadrons. My favorite rebel ships are the MC30c and AF2 while my least favorites are the Neb-B (I'm the guy who called it a garbage ship for garbage people) and the Pelta, if that helps at all.

ISD is always fun, but I find that my life would be miserable without Squadrons 1 and the Gozantis. Those two packs add a lot of list building versatility. That being said, I can't say it's a bad idea to just go ahead and buy an ISD. It puts you halfway to a full list already, and it looks seriously epic just sitting there.

17 hours ago, Cuthawolf said:

while my least favorites are the Neb-B (I'm the guy who called it a garbage ship for garbage people)

Ouch, I kinda like the neb-b. Have you tried using it as a force multipier? It really shines in that role.

5 hours ago, Noosh said:

Ouch, I kinda like the neb-b. Have you tried using it as a force multipier? It really shines in that role.

I just find no matter what role I use it in, it attracts fire like nothing else because it's so easy to kill. Like the **** thing is so dense it sucks every passing attack into its stupid face. (Well, stupid sides)