SoontirFelTGE

QD and Fel

So right now I've been flying:

Quickdraw w/ FCS, VI, Sensor, LWF, title

Soontir Fel w/ PTL, Title, Autos, Stealth

OGP with Palp and Collision Detector.

I enjoy it, it's fun, but with bombs I'm a little worried with fel, but I love playing him too. Feedback?  

I've been considering Soontir too, but mainly because I see a lot of Dash/Miranda and he's good in that matchup.

If you are worried about bombs you can keep Soontir the eff away from the bomb carrier and kill it with Quickdraw.  To expedite the process, I strongly recommend a missile on Quickdraw (either cruise or homing work best with his FCS, but concussion is decent too).  You could easily make room in that list for a missile by dropping some of the 'unnecessary' upgrades (such as: sensor cluster, collision detector or dropping stealth for target comp on soonts).

What is your point total? I'm not going to take the time to look up your cards and add up the points. 

If you have the points, think about Targeting Synchronizer on Quickdraw to help Soontir's offense. I would also switch Stealth Device to Twin Ion Mk2. I like the additional maneuvering options more than a 3-point upgrade that gets wasted with all the autodamage running wild. Soontir is more fragile than ever in todays game; let him be glass and put the points somewhere else.

As for facing bombs, I would use Soontir as bait and try to fly him away while Quickdraw and the Shuttle kill the bomber. 

Edited by jmswood

Aside from bombs emerging more and more, Soontir still has to deal with PS 10 as a major issue. Back in his hay day, all you needed was PS 9 and maybe an initiative bid to move last. But now you've got Poes, Reys, even Nym at PS 10.

And Fel still needs that PTL so he can't really go up, unless there's a way to pass him tokens or free actions or something. I guess Targeting Synchronizer is something.  Maybe just somebody with Intelligence Agent so he can block the PS 10 and shoot something else, or set up knowing where they're going.

I just came up with something stupid but maybe it will make people shoot at a Shuttle first because everything else would be...

Hard to Kill:

TIE Interceptor: · Soontir Fel (27)

Elusiveness (2)

Autothrusters (2)

Royal Guard TIE (0)

Stealth Device (3)

Lambda-Class Shuttle: · Captain Yorr (24)

Systems officer (2)

Inspiring Recruit (1)

TIE Striker: · "Countdown" (20)

Hull Upgrade (3)

Adaptive ailerons (0)

TIE Fighter: · "Dark Curse" (16)

-- TOTAL ------- 100p. --

6 hours ago, Skeether said:

And Fel still needs that PTL so he can't really go up, unless there's a way to pass him tokens or free actions or something. I guess Targeting Synchronizer is something.  Maybe just somebody with Intelligence Agent so he can block the PS 10 and shoot something else, or set up knowing where they're going.

If you're concerned about action economy for Soontir, then I wonder if supporting him with an Upsilon might be a good idea. Upgrading from a Lambda to an Upsilon is expensive, and your third ship needs to be proportionately cheaper, but that's doable; it's not like the Empire lacks for 'pocket aces'.

• Starkiller Base Pilot - Fire Control System, Emperor Palpatine
  • Soontir Fel - Royal Guard TIE, Veteran Instincts, Stealth Device, Autothrusters
  • Omega Leader - Juke, Comms Relay

or you could build the Upsilon as a token bunny if you feel confident without Palpatine:

• Major Stridan - Fire Control System, General Hux, Systems Officer
  • Soontir Fel - Royal Guard TIE, Veteran Instincts, Stealth Device, Autothrusters
  • Omega Leader - Juke, Comms Relay

48 minutes ago, Han Silo said:

Don't forget that Soontir needs to get stressed so that he can get his free focus token. He seems to be as tied to Push the Limit as OL is to Juke

A fair point, so bumping up his PS is never really going to work . If you can feed him free actions, he might get some mileage out of Daredevil, though.

Soontir's PS 9 is not as big a problem as some of you think.

He's a mid-30s point ship.  In a matchup against Nym (whether rebel or scum) you're typically looking at a 2-ship list, so the Nym will be at least mid 40s.  Trading Soontir for Nym is a good deal for the Imp player.  Also, you can protect Soontir with a higher PS ship.  In this case, VI Quickdraw trumps Nym (and any other PS10 scum/rebel).  QD can deal A LOT of damage and Soontir can soak a lot (as long as you aren't getting hit by bombs).  So you have 2 choices if you use Soontir: 1) keep soontir far away from Nym's bombs and kill Nym with QD (and shuttle if it can get shots); it will take quite a few turns, and you may lose QD, but if you pass off initiative, Soontir can beat Dengar or other PS 9 ships (or lower)  or 2) sacrifice Soontir to kill Nym fast.  If you can pull it off, its a good trade for the Imp player.

I'm not saying its easy, but it is certainly do-able.

Edited by blade_mercurial

4 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

A fair point, so bumping up his PS is never really going to work . If you can feed him free actions, he might get some mileage out of Daredevil, though.

You could also do VI Carnor Jax instead.  He'd be PS10, isn't tied to PTL, and his ability is nice.

You can fit Fel, Vader, and Quickdraw into a list (no bid, though) 

Quickdraw (VI, Cruise Missiles, Fire Control Sys, Guidance Chips, Special Ops. Training) 35 pt. 
Darth Vader (Adaptability, Cruise Missiles, Guidance Chips, Tie/X1, Adv. Targeting Computer) 33 pt. 
Soontir Fel (PtL, Autothrusters) 32 pt.

----- 100 pt -----

I mean, that's a mean list. Fel is your late-game. You pretty much keep him away from the bombs and TLTs until Quickdraw and Vader get their munitions off and start eliminating ships from the board (or just one if you're playing competitive) then Fel comes in and is a range-1 nuisance. 

Edited by Rinzler in a Tie

5 hours ago, blade_mercurial said:

Soontir's PS 9 is not as big a problem as some of you think.

He's a mid-30s point ship.  In a matchup against Nym (whether rebel or scum) you're typically looking at a 2-ship list, so the Nym will be at least mid 40s.  Trading Soontir for Nym is a good deal for the Imp player.  Also, you can protect Soontir with a higher PS ship.  In this case, VI Quickdraw trumps Nym (and any other PS10 scum/rebel).  QD can deal A LOT of damage and Soontir can soak a lot (as long as you aren't getting hit by bombs).  So you have 2 choices if you use Soontir: 1) keep soontir far away from Nym's bombs and kill Nym with QD (and shuttle if it can get shots); it will take quite a few turns, and you may lose QD, but if you pass off initiative, Soontir can beat Dengar or other PS 9 ships (or lower)  or 2) sacrifice Soontir to kill Nym fast.  If you can pull it off, its a good trade for the Imp player.

I'm not saying its easy, but it is certainly do-able.

So your on board with this idea? Sounds like the strat is to kill nym 1st, which seems logical. I mean I built the list with QD w/VI for a reason 

4 hours ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

You can fit Fel, Vader, and Quickdraw into a list (no bid, though) 

Quickdraw (VI, Cruise Missiles, Fire Control Sys, Guidance Chips, Special Ops. Training) 35 pt. 
Darth Vader (Adaptability, Cruise Missiles, Guidance Chips, Tie/X1, Adv. Targeting Computer) 33 pt. 
Soontir Fel (PtL, Autothrusters) 32 pt.

----- 100 pt -----

I mean, that's a mean list. Fel is your late-game. You pretty much keep him away from the bombs and TLTs until Quickdraw and Vader get their munitions off and start eliminating ships from the board (or just one if you're playing competitive) then Fel comes in and is a range-1 nuisance. 

And this sounds pretty fun, the problem is I low key hate the TIE adv's dial. it's not as maneuverable. Vader is great though.

1 hour ago, SoontirFelTGE said:

So your on board with this idea? Sounds like the strat is to kill nym 1st, which seems logical. I mean I built the list with QD w/VI for a reason 

I think it could work yeah.  However, Nym does present a difficult matchup, especially if paired with Miranda (since 2 bombers are probably too much to keep Fel safe, but then again, as I mentioned, if you can trade Fel for one of them, then you can still win).

But as I said, earlier, I STRONGLY suggest putting a missile on Quickdraw.  Earlier I said Cruise missile or homing, but I forgot Ion Pulse Missiles.  Ion Missile is actually probably the best idea because it will protect Fel better than anything else.  Basically, you ionize Nym (or Miranda) and deal a bit of damage.  Next turn, all of your ships are in close and likely to finish him off.

Like so:

QD w/ VI, spec ops, FCS, IPM & chips = 35

Fel w/ PTL, RGT, AT & target comp = 34

Omicron w/ palp & collision detector = 29

If you prefer stealth on Fel, you can get it, but you lose a point for the bid.  Its also possible to run QD without chips: LWF and pattern analyzer are both good options, but then no bid at all.

Edited by blade_mercurial

Another upvote on the ion missiles. Ionized ships don't set and reveal dials, so reveal bombs like the bomblet generator can't be used on those turns. That's a great time to get up close and personal and blow that ship off the map. 

15 hours ago, Jimbawa said:

Another upvote on the ion missiles. Ionized ships don't set and reveal dials, so reveal bombs like the bomblet generator can't be used on those turns. That's a great time to get up close and personal and blow that ship off the map. 

Just keep in mind that Genius circumvents the ionization (allowing a ship to drop 'dial-reveal' bombs), but ONLY after they complete the maneuver (so keep Fel out of range 1 of where Nym's ion move will go)