shotbyscott

3d printable scenery

39 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, KrisWall said:

Super excited about this.  I've printed a few of your things.

Has anyone had any luck printing the Shield Generator?  When I throw it into my slicer, it shows as damaged.  I'm not good enough to know why.  I'm using the slicer that came with my Prusa i3 Mk2S.

Run it through something like Meshmixer first. It should fix any errors or oddities within the file.

13 hours ago, Ralgon said:

Haven't tried printing it yet but cura 2.6.2 had no issues with the slice

Could be the Prusa slicer.  I imported the STL file into Sketchup and then immediately exported to STL again.  I don't know any other way to 'fix' an STL that works for other people.  When I fed the resulting file into my slicer, it seems to have worked.  My plan is to print it on Saturday.

9 hours ago, mini78 said:

Run it through something like Meshmixer first. It should fix any errors or oddities within the file.

Awesome!

15 hours ago, shotbyscott said:

dont forget to post a photo on thiniverse so i can see you waor. and it helps me get more people down loading my designs 

Will do!

Posted (edited)

It's Alive!!! I shall call him stumpy. Needs a little clean up but that's a settings thing because of the upgrades i have on my printer for exotic filaments i haven't been able to fix for this stuff yet.

Oh and for anyone wondering about the economics, all 4 models have cost less than $3 AUD yet

@shotbyscott feel free to rip the image/link and use it for yourself. I'm having a dumb day and can't figure out how to upload it in thingverse.... and thanks for the modelling!!

SMF7l2O.jpg

Edit: huh, imgur deleted my image, even though it was taken by me with a shout out to the designer

Edited by Ralgon

@shotbyscott, I saw you responded to my generator make on Thingiverse.  Thanks so much for putting this collection together.  I'm planning on printing another couple of shield generators.  Individually, they don't do much to block line of sight to a whole unit.  If I print and stick 3-4 of them together, Star Wars style, I think it'll be a better piece of terrain.

I'm trying to find appropriate sized square/rectangular boxes to act as a 'frame' for some buildings.  I've been printing assorted greebles and hope to have a couple of pictures to post up soon.  I'll be sure to post them to Thingiverse.

Keep up the good work. 

19 hours ago, shotbyscott said:

the idea was you can print as many as you need an put them together eg i want to make hoth so i'll print 5 or 6 etc 

Second shield generator came off the printer last night.  Third shield generator is printing right now.  Once the third is done, I'll decide on whether or not to make a 4th.  I'm debating instead using some guitar cable and connecting three generators to some sort of command console.  That would probably make for a pretty solid piece of terrain.  I don't think I'll need a 4th.  I'll take some pictures once the third is done and upload a new make to Thingiverse.

Noob question (still waiting for my printer to arrive):

Can you re-size an item downloaded from thingiverse? Let's say the item is 2" long, can I print it 1" long?

3 hours ago, gigliopaolo said:

Noob question (still waiting for my printer to arrive):

Can you re-size an item downloaded from thingiverse? Let's say the item is 2" long, can I print it 1" long?

Yes. You can resize it in your slicer so it will print at the size you want.

You may run into issues where details cannot be printed accurately if you make it too small or you need to add supports if you make it a lot bigger. This depends on your printer, the model and how much you resize it.

gigliopaolo likes this

On 10/10/2017 at 0:29 PM, Basylle said:

Yes. You can resize it in your slicer so it will print at the size you want.

You may run into issues where details cannot be printed accurately if you make it too small or you need to add supports if you make it a lot bigger. This depends on your printer, the model and how much you resize it.

Depending on the model, it might also look weird and somewhat blocky if scaled up too much.  Generally speaking, designers add an amount of detail appropriate to the intended size.  Scale it up too much and the amount of details can seem off.  Really depends on the model.

gigliopaolo likes this