clanofwolves

So the Silencer?

3 hours ago, Kumagoro said:

I certainly disagree. First of all, you seem to think Fel's three hull made him timid. Before the bomb meta, nothing was more far from the truth. Fel would keep turning into his target, chasing it like a dog with a bone, and laughing off turret shots. Carry stress? Not even close, once he was close enough, he would dial green every single turn, do his two actions, turtling in the process. The thing is, Fel has one more action than Kylo. That's 50% more action efficiency. I don't think this could be offset by any other trick. Fel has 4 agility and constant focus, which means his green dice's math actually offsets the bonus hull and shields, for anything but auto-damage. One consistently modified point agility is worth several sitting-duck points of hull/shields. A TIE Bomber has double the Interceptor's hull, yet it's way, way more fragile.

Soontir Fel flown well could last the entire game without taking a single hit, and certainly could be expected to land shots almost every turn. We're not talking an underdog, rarely seen ships here; we're talking a top tier one. There was a reason for that.

3 hull isn't timid, but it is cautious.  I'm an aggressive player, and I've run him without Palp to victory plenty of times, taking as many shots as I can get.  Getting blocked at close range can still be a quick route to losing a game, though.  No amount of aggression will help when you overshoot as well.  When you literally can't move slow enough to keep the target in your sights, you won't get shots.  Furthermore, if you're taking Stealth Device, you have no re-rolls, so Kylo is probably getting his extra 50% damage just from the re-rolls, with no consideration for time on target.

By "carrying stress" I mean Fel starts the turn with a stress, which rules out red and generally white moves.  Kylo shouldn't start stressed very much, leaving white and red moves open.  This lets him stay on target just that much better as well.  

Your "Fel get a a shot every turn pronouncement" sounds like someone who hasn't really played Fel.  There's an old adage by much better players than me that goes "when in doubt, don't".   Fel in attack mode 100% of the time isn't going to last all game against a moderately competent opponent.

3 hours ago, Kumagoro said:

...And if you drop the missile and PA, the TIE Fighter can get upgraded to an Omega Squadron Pilot with Crack Shot, becoming an all First Order squad!

Not Crack Shot, A Score to Settle!

Heck, at that cost on this chassis, Vanguard could have been discard to cancel all dice immediately before Compare Results and not been unbalanced.

I'm so worried about the future of Imperials, there's just nothing on the horizon that pulls their irons out of the first short of a MASSIVE and wide-ranging nerFAQ, which I'm still hoping for, and even then, it seems questionable.  The age of arc locked ships having any competitive edge died with Palp and x7.

IDK, Gunboat seems nice

Hlc with reroll from linked batteries already give you DEADEYE SCURRG level offense with far more flexibility (no tokens needed to fire!) 

Ordnance title could be abusedTo **** with ASLAM and reload and ptl if it lets you fire through weps disabled

Course nerfa need to happen anyway, but I'm optimistic bout the boat 

Edited by ficklegreendice

I just can't envision super Kylo becoming much of a thing. 

Adding AdvS to the PtL arc dodging play is begging not to see a stress control mechanic on the other side. 

Remember, in Soontir's heyday, Asajj didn't exist, and the only common platform for R3-A2 was an arc-locked Y-Wing (VI R3-A2 Wes could be trouble if you came across him, though).

Rebels and Scum have a number of reliable stress inflicting methods these days - They don't use them very much because they don't have to, bombs and TLTs do well enough to cover each other's weaknesses that control has taken a backseat. If super action economy starts to rise in prominence, you'll see the same tactics show up again to suppress it.

I mean, that's a big part of why Attanni was so popular, and why there was such a strong push for getting action-independent dice mods. A single super action ship just isn't reliable enough, because if it gets shut down, you're going to be fighting an uphill battle. At Kylo's price point, you're approaching 40-50% of your list total, using a strategy that already has a number of checks if not outright hard counters to it.

54 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

I'm so worried about the future of Imperials, there's just nothing on the horizon that pulls their irons out of the first short of a MASSIVE and wide-ranging nerFAQ, which I'm still hoping for, and even then, it seems questionable.  The age of arc locked ships having any competitive edge died with Palp and x7.

At this point I've given up. They're not going to fix Imps, and they don't care.

They desperately desperately need to undo a ton of what's happened since Wave 7.

• TLT
  • Palpatine
  • Advanced SLAM
  • Attani Mindlink
  • Zuckuss
  • Sabine Wren
  • Contracted Scout
  • Dengar
  • /x7
  • Guidance Chips
  • Kylo Ren
  • Bomblet Generator
  • Selflessness

There's a good game about positioning and tactics hiding under all that stuff.

Edited by Stay On The Leader

7 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:

They desperately desperately need to undo a ton of what's happened since Wave 7.

• TLT
  • Palpatine
  • Advanced SLAM
  • Attani Mindlink
  • Zuckuss
  • Sabine Wren
  • Contracted Scout
  • Dengar
  • /x7
  • Guidance Chips
  • Kylo Ren
  • Bomblet Generator
  • Selflessness

There's a good game about positioning and tactics hiding under all that stuff.

Some of those have been nerfed heavily already. Palps literally just for green dice now, Zuckuss only works once per turn and X7 no longer works if you screw up manouvering the Defenders dial. Advanced SLAM nerf is happening we've already seen the revised card in the Gunboats spread.

GC's are basically what makes the older ordinance work at all, and I don't see a problem with them. They are perhaps a bit TOO essential for anybody who wants to take a Torpedo or Missile to the detriment of cards like Munitions Failsafe and Long Range Sensors but otherwise are fine.

TLT's needed a special criteria to work, literally everything other than the Ion Cannon has some kind of restriction in the Turret catagory NO HAVING NO RANGE 1 IS NOT A RESTRICTION. Blaster Turrets need you to spend a Focus (an Errata removing the spend criteria might see that come back, and I don't understand why they haven't instead of inventing the Sync Turret) Autoturrets are R1 only, and Sync Turrets need a Target Lock. The TLT needs nothing to fire, and to be honest I don't think ANY Turret should have range 3. If the TLT had been Range 2 only I think it would have been a lot fairer, because let's face it, the Y-Wing isn't great at precision movement, and it'd see Vectored Thrusters appearing more on them.

Sabine needs to an errate restricting her card to only work in the Bombs detonate step at the end of the Activation phase.

Contracted Scout needed somebody to actually listen to the OPPONENTS of the playtesters. It needs to get removed from the game entirely and then reprinted with sensible pricing in a Bounty Hunting Veterans pack that includes new Punishing One and Mist Hunter models. Same for Dengar really, although I personally think he's fairly priced thanks to the Title Tax, and nerfs to Zuckuss and Manaroo have VASTLY blunted just how terrifying he is compared to how he used to be.

I'm still trying to assess how good or bad Bomblets are, I feel like a mistake may have been made there, but I suspect this was another poorly thought out way to bring more Punishers to the table. I haven't really seen anyone but Nym using these, and the thing with Nym is, he melts like a knob of butter on a griddle. You just have to bring the heat to him. I'd like to see how viable some other potential Bomblet Users are, like Cad Bane in Constable Tuvio, the Adrasta or that one Punisher.

Kylo (crew) in a vacuum needs a better kind of restriction on him, like targets in his forward firing arc only for instance, but right now he is LITERALLY the only thing left to Imperial Players in the competitive meta. It's just him, riding shotgun with Rear Admiral Chirpy and pretty much any Imperial ace the game has ever known.

Selflessness isn't bad per-se, it's just part of a really nasty combo that makes taking it on like trying to headbutt your way through a brick wall. Personally, I think the problem is less Selfessness, but more that you can put in on Lowrick. If Lowbie hadn't had an EPT slot, who would would you be putting that card on? Would you bring in an ARC? You could put it on Wulf, but now you've got to downgrade something in the list.

On 19/09/2017 at 11:46 PM, Mward1984 said:

Some of those have been nerfed heavily already. Palps literally just for green dice now, 

Don't think you understand the meaning of literally, my dude...