clanofwolves

So the Silencer?

swx68_spread.png

So she's seemingly going to be a beauty, and an expensive Interceptor, but why doesn't she have some type of Horn double-tap, Dengar revenge-shot, Fenn closeup-bonus, bullseye firing-arc or at least Whisper's native four?

I'm vacillating on this ship more than a swingset in a hurricane mind you, but the developers have been throwing out Meta immediate ships here and there and this --of all ships-- looked destined to have that ability.

What am I missing here oh experts of X-Wing?

....I need a pint ?

Edited by clanofwolves

We'll have to see what the pilot ability is of the PS7 pilot. As well as it's dial.

If it has a totally bonkers dial, that alone could make it dominant. Tech+System slots and an amazing dial could just make it a solid all around ship. With Push the Limit, that could be two actions before you performed your maneuver every turn.

Good points so far guys --except the Ben and Jerry's which is an OK pint, just not my kinda pint-- but I cannot see this thing dancing and winning in the current bomb-and-a-turret-a-luscious meta that FFG has cornered us into. @BadMotivator and @Biophysical you guys are hitting on the points that are exciting about this ship to be sure; FFG's own words, "Engineered for speed and incredible handling, the TIE silencer is devastating in the hands of those who can unlock its full potential. Lesser pilots, however, are often overwhelmed and unable to maintain control of the nimble craft. Thanks to the skills passed down from his father, Kylo Ren is an expert pilot, able to take full advantage of the fighter’s innate agility, potent lasers, and upgraded systems." Put simply, if the dial isn't simply sick --even in contrast to Scum dials-- then we really have a big problem. But even if it is, this thing has to deal with this meta, and speed and agility aren't exactly the answers as my Interceptors have quite a time just trying to stay alive, not to mention try and get these amazing flying, high HP and/or shield regenerating things into arc. So I just fly a tougher interceptor with the same guns? I cannot see it making me realize, "Wow! Now I can take on the meta giants and feel like a have a real fighting chance." Will I?

It definitely has the potential to bring arc dodging back in a big way. System and Tech are a very nice combo.

At this point, the questions I have are (1) how good is the dial and (2) can it function without a native evade action? As always, the lack of a Jan Ors type evade granter is a pain for imperials. It might be able to work with the new EPT that gives you evades if you're close to obstacles, possibly with experimental interface for pseudo PTL, with advanced sensors and a good dial that's a pretty nice combo with a lot of options. But no autothrusters then. But maybe you don't need the evade? Just take good old fashioned PTL+advanced sensors. 

5 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

Good points so far guys --except the Ben and Jerry's which is an OK pint, just not my kinda pint-- but I cannot see this thing dancing and winning in the current bomb-and-a-turret-a-luscious meta that FFG has cornered us into. @BadMotivator and @Biophysical you guys are hitting on the points that are exciting about this ship to be sure; FFG's own words, "Engineered for speed and incredible handling, the TIE silencer is devastating in the hands of those who can unlock its full potential. Lesser pilots, however, are often overwhelmed and unable to maintain control of the nimble craft. Thanks to the skills passed down from his father, Kylo Ren is an expert pilot, able to take full advantage of the fighter’s innate agility, potent lasers, and upgraded systems." Put simply, if the dial isn't simply sick --even in contrast to Scum dials-- then we really have a big problem. But even if it is, this thing has to deal with this meta, and speed and agility aren't exactly the answers as my Interceptors have quite a time just trying to stay alive, not to mention try and get these amazing flying, high HP and/or shield regenerating things into arc. So I just fly a tougher interceptor with the same guns? I cannot see it making me realize, "Wow! Now I can take on the meta giants and feel like a have a real fighting chance." Will I?

Yeah... but remember this?

poe.jpg

It feels like the Silencer is right where it needs to be. Even the price, when considering the T-70. The big question is will this apparently balanced price point gonna do enough against the meta bigwigs. It being yet another Imperial ship that is balanced well inside the faction, but not against the other factions is a possibility I worry about. But, there is still things about it that have yet to be revealed that can push that worry away. I am rather hopeful the Silencer (and the gunboat) will prove to be what the Empire needs right now.

He is priced pretty well. I don't think that a lot of people are seeing the potential of that thing...

Kylo will be a BEAST in the right list. Even without reading the cards, no one is considering him+Mux, or him+Coordinate.

And his condition into an extremely maneuvrable PS9 Ace is amazing. You want to shoot an ace in early game. But this thing has 6 hull/shields, 3 agility, forcing a reroll with the title, AT, and a lot of aces will not shoot him fast thanks for the ISYTDS.

So this guy is going in late game easely. A PS9 green dial, Tech+System slot. Wow.

Bombs? You need to drop them on you (and in that wave the avd slam will be fixed..), or he will just Adv Sensor b-roll and avoid your bombs. **** even against Nym he still have good chances to avoid his bombs if you're good to predict all the maneuvering map of Nym. 

Or, maybe, he will be able to get some punch withour dying, and shooting him down. 

He-have-6hullpoints. 6, like a Defender. 

I was pretty psyched when the rumors of this thing were flying around. I was even more psyched when I saw the tech+system and hull/Shields. I was immediately turned off when I saw he has the same ability as before. FFG really doubling down on this condition. Come on, give him something new, something unexpected.

But, I will say this, the rumors of new maneuver templates, like a 4 bank, would really make my day.

8 minutes ago, migs6000 said:

I was pretty psyched when the rumors of this thing were flying around. I was even more psyched when I saw the tech+system and hull/Shields. I was immediately turned off when I saw he has the same ability as before. FFG really doubling down on this condition. Come on, give him something new, something unexpected.

But, I will say this, the rumors of new maneuver templates, like a 4 bank, would really make my day.

Yeah, but his pilot ability actually works here. It's a terrible pilot ability on an Upsilon, because he's PS6 with 1 agility and can't turn around easily. It's too easy for other PS6+ ships to ping-pong the condition around so that it's never within his firing arc. It's much harder to do that against a nimble PS9+ ship with 3 agility and Autothrusters.

At that price point it's got to have SOMETHING crazy in it's dial. There's no other way that price makes sense.

As for the PS7 guy? What text we see syncs up almost perfectly with the text of Trick Shot, except with a 2 dice bonus over a 1 dice bonus. Which I'll be honest I think is kind of cute and if it gets an EPT I could see a few really mean combo's you could pull off with that.

Thing is, whilst Kylo is PS9 and can PTL Arc Dodge, the rest of them can't, so either the Silencer isn't supposed to be an arc dodger, or we have another Corran Horn situation where the only ship that works as intended is the most expensive one.

And let's not beat around the bush, to make Kylo Ren good is going to cost a LOT of points. 35 base, Adv. Sensors, Title, PTL, Autothrusters clocks in at 45. That's a HUGE amount of points for something that doesn't have a turret and only 6HP, and no Missile slot either. Plus Kylo's ability doesn't really mesh all that well with his high PS or the fact that the Silencer is built to NEVER get hit.

So, if the other Silencers aren't really meant to be Arc Dodgers... what ARE they meant to be?

59 minutes ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

What's the Debris EPT? Something about adding evades?

Current popular theory is ACTION: Gain Evade Tokens equal to the number of Obstacles within Range 1 of you. To a Maximum of 2 (since the Silencer only comes with 2 Evades)

If right, you could go Youngster +Debris Whatever, 2 Crack/Juke blacks and Quickdraw with Swarm Leader for something really nasty. In general I could see a card like that being a really good engine for Swarm Leader. Another good example would be a pair of Greens with it and Juke backing up something with Swarm Leader. Plus it's a generally decent way of getting Evade tokens on stuff that doesn't normally have Evade access, like the X-Wing, Y-Wing, Starviper etc.

Think of Keyan Farlander with that and Experimental Interface.

If it caught on, it would also encourage people to consider Seismic Torpedoes more. Although with the nerf to Evade token expenditure it wouldn't be as good as it once was.

Unless that second title is amazing or minefield mapper works with tokens i see it being more useful by a long bomb *sic* than the resistance bomber.

As SOTL mentioned though, at it's cost it's going to have a hard time finding a list with the ps it needs

5 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

swx68_spread.png

So she's seemingly going to be a beauty, and an expensive Interceptor, but why doesn't she have some type of Horn double-tap, Dengar revenge-shot, Fenn closeup-bonus, bullseye firing-arc or at least Whisper's native four?

I'm vacillating on this ship more than a swingset in a hurricane mind you, but the developers have been throwing out Meta immediate ships here and there and this --of all ships-- looked destined to have that ability.

What am I missing here oh experts of X-Wing?

....I need a pint ?

You are not missing anything. Its a Corran Horn with a very bad pilot ability and thrusters instead of regen. Some people are saying to wait for the 2nd pilot preview but honestly, it's kinda easy to guess his ability IMO: When your attack is obstructed, roll 2 additional attack dice. Better than Kylo but still not worth the 32 pts it will cost. So ewing with no double tap or regen. How are the other ewings doing outside of Corran? There is no excuse for bad design like that. They already have another ship to compare to and its not good.

Another comparison? Kylo is 7 more pts than Fenn for basically 2 extra shield and again an amazingly worst ability. He could be a generic ps9 and there wouldnt be much difference. It's sooo easy to see why this xpac wont perform at all. While the Imperials need a serious boost they keep getting sh#@$ty stuff like that. All they had to do is make the pilot ability work exactly like the crew. Would still be worst than all the power creeps but at least it would be playable. Better, with the ability as a free action the ship might even have been semi competitive... I really hope none of the upgrades turns out to be useful for other ship so i dont have to waste 30$.

1 hour ago, Mward1984 said:

At that price point it's got to have SOMETHING crazy in it's dial. There's no other way that price makes sense.

Even if the dial had all possible maneuver, with tons of green and white kturns, it would still be a bad ship. There is only so much a dial can do. At 45 pts fully built the ship needs to pack a serious punch to be worth the point. Its only a regular front arc 3 red dices. Put it next to Nym or the Gunship and it's an insult.

2 hours ago, Mward1984 said:

So, if the other Silencers aren't really meant to be Arc Dodgers... what ARE they meant to be?

Dust magnets....? :-)