Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ywingscum

Warlord Thunderdome

42 posts in this topic

Two warlords enter, one warlord leaves.

who is the bad assest of the warlords?

Kari is awesome and all, but I think Ardus one on one wins the fight against any 1 warlord.

I want to Alianna to the #1 but my vote is Ardus.

what do you guys think?  I have not played Mauro or Hawthorne so no idea.

Maro's problem is his attack is varied on unstable runes.

He can roll 0, 2, or 4 white dice.

I'd put money on Ravos because gotta remember he will auto-wound you for 1 wound*, so you might as well have -1HP to begin with. With 3 dice and Brutal, not that unlikely to cause 2 wounds to you and then his ability to pick off the last hp.

*stop...referring to hp loss...as damage...

Edited by Vineheart01
Tvayumat, Ywingscum and Budgernaut like this

With upgrades Kethra can shoot at 3, dial in a Mortal Strike, and Fortuna's Dice another strike or double hit.  She could potentially land four hits and a mortal strike to one shot Maro, Aliana, and Maegan.  The others would die the next turn.  

Ywingscum likes this

20 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

Do they get upgrades? Aliana with Ambush Predator cannot be targeted by ranged attacks and gets Lethal 8 if she can avoid engaging until round 8. And if she can stay out of range 1 from Ravos for that long, he will kill himself!

Oh man. That's brutal.

Speaking of Brutal, if Ankaur Maro takes Violent Forces, he gains Brutal 1, and he rolls a number of white dice equal to stable runes. That's much better than his standard self.

1 minute ago, Click5 said:

With upgrades Kethra can shoot at 3, dial in a Mortal Strike, and Fortuna's Dice another strike or double hit.  She could potentially land four hits and a mortal strike to one shot Maro, Aliana, and Maegan.  The others would die the next turn.  

You got me. I think Kethra beats Maro.

I guess you'd have to define the Thunderdome. What size playing field? Is there terrain? Are runes present? 

I'd say under these circumstances, Ardus wins all day. He can play the terrain to get close and murder Kari, Hawthorne, Maro, or Aliana. 

flightmaster101 and Ywingscum like this

I'm picturing the 3X3 starter set up.

upgrades, hero specific or faction specific I dunno, fantasy land fantasy battle.  I did picture no upgrades but upgrades add so much.

i am so gonna do a 4 way hero battle one game night once I have the four factions.

🙂

Click5, Budgernaut and Hawkman2000 like this

Aliana with Packleader spear and Ambush Predator kill all other heroes on Turn 4+  That give you like Lethal 7, Auto Mortal Strike, and rolling a White, Blue and Red, with a reroll, with a ability to have a Surge be another hit.

31 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

I'm picturing the 3X3 starter set up.

upgrades, hero specific or faction specific I dunno, fantasy land fantasy battle.  I did picture no upgrades but upgrades add so much.

i am so gonna do a 4 way hero battle one game night once I have the four factions.

🙂

This thread has almost convinced me that the next thing to buy after the Latari and Uthuk army expansions is the stand-alone hero for each faction.

57 minutes ago, Willange said:

Hawthornes every time... unless it's against maro

Oooh, it's like they're nemeses! Oh, they are nemeses. This game is so good!

Ywingscum likes this

How would Hawthorne win every time?

Hawthorne's actual damage output is kinda crap compared to other heroes. He only has 2 dice, no rerolls, no surge to hit harder, and one of his dice is red.
The thorns build will only wound once in return except against maro/ravos, which have low enough armor to get wounded twice (but the hp to make up for it).

Against other heroes, which have a habit of causing multiple mortal strikes or a TON of damage (or both...aliana) he'll take 2 wounds on average when hes attacked.

Hawthorne's strength is army-manipulation and inspiration battery, not offense (or defense if you consider the thorns effect a defense thing, its more of a "Dont touch me" effect so he can do whatever he wants)

Only real benefit he has over other heroes is he has armor AND wounds on his side (4/4 w/ Might of Daqan and w/o his +1def mod). But, again, so many non-daqan heroes can spam mortal strikes its silly.
He wouldnt auto-lose but just 1 flop on his dice (easy w/o rerolls) and he probably lost.

Edited by Vineheart01
Willange, Click5 and Wraithist like this

My money is on alliana. With packleaders spear and ambush predator she can't be targeted by range and if she comes in on turn 5 has lethal 8, which with her mortal strike kills Ardus with one hit on her dice.

Wraithist likes this

1 hour ago, Vineheart01 said:

How would Hawthorne win every time?

Hawthorne's actual damage output is kinda crap compared to other heroes. He only has 2 dice, no rerolls, no surge to hit harder, and one of his dice is red.
The thorns build will only wound once in return except against maro/ravos, which have low enough armor to get wounded twice (but the hp to make up for it).

Against other heroes, which have a habit of causing multiple mortal strikes or a TON of damage (or both...aliana) he'll take 2 wounds on average when hes attacked.

Hawthorne's strength is army-manipulation and inspiration battery, not offense (or defense if you consider the thorns effect a defense thing, its more of a "Dont touch me" effect so he can do whatever he wants)

Only real benefit he has over other heroes is he has armor AND wounds on his side (4/4 w/ Might of Daqan and w/o his +1def mod). But, again, so many non-daqan heroes can spam mortal strikes its silly.
He wouldnt auto-lose but just 1 flop on his dice (easy w/o rerolls) and he probably lost.

You're probably right from an analytical point of view.... BUT THIS IS THE THUNDERDOME!!!!!!!  NO ONE CAN PREDICT THE RESULT!!

In seriousness, I run Hawthornes very often.  His damage output truly is crap from his rolls, but he wins his duels just about every game.  However, so far he's pretty much only dueled Ardus and I think Kari, maybe.  I'm the only one I know who bought the elves so far, so I've yet to see the Aliana matchup.  The other heroes aren't out yet, so we haven't played them.  What I do typically see is that using the 2-init attack with +1 def is the way to go.  That's mostly because it forces brutal 1 heroes to either roll mortal strikes or get at least 3 hits.  Typically, only one of these 2 things happens.  That means I took 1 wound and then bounce 5 damage back at them dealing them 1 wound as well.  Then on my turn I sometimes do another wound (or 2 if my luck is crazy).  Overall, even trades on their activation and gains on my activation usually means victory for Hawthornes.  I'm sure that with newer heroes that could change though.  He does well against non-heroes as well for the same reasons basically.  I'm guessing that Might/Reaping Blade would work too, but I like Shield of Margath too much to give it up.

Edited by Willange
Curlycross likes this

In the Thunderdome Hawthorne probably doesn't need to bring the Shield of Margath, since it's usually only going to do one damage against the other melee heroes.  He can take a Reaping Blade instead to up his wound dealing.

This actually sounds like a pretty fun variant.  3x3 or maybe 2x2 field with a good bunch of terrain.

Ywingscum likes this

45 minutes ago, Click5 said:

This actually sounds like a pretty fun variant.  3x3 or maybe 2x2 field with a good bunch of terrain.

I think it would be really good as a 3 or 4 player brawl.

Ywingscum and Parakitor like this

I'm feeling like Kethra just beats the 2 armor heroes. One auto-wound and a fairly high chance of each die causing another 1-2 wounds as every hit or surge translates to a wound. 3-5 wounds any any of them. Probably 2 wounds on every other hero per shot

7 minutes ago, Church14 said:

I'm feeling like Kethra just beats the 2 armor heroes. One auto-wound and a fairly high chance of each die causing another 1-2 wounds as every hit or surge translates to a wound. 3-5 wounds any any of them. Probably 2 wounds on every other hero per shot

Wow. I didn't realize so many heroes had only 2 defense (Ankaur, Ravos, Maegan). I had written off her surge ability as useless, but you're right. She has a good match up against almost 50% of her potential foes (3/7).

I've been thinking about Kethra, and I think she murders 2-defense heroes with more than just her surge ability. Assuming we're reading the Unnatural Growths condition correctly, it does 2 damage to an enemy that makes a melee attack against the defending unit. Since Kethra is allied to herself, she can assign that condition to herself to put more hurt on her enemies. Any 2-defense hero will want to stay at range from her, but with her somewhat speedy dial, that may not always be a possibility.

Parakitor, Polda and Curlycross like this

@Curlycross when you get the Uthuk, we need to run this battle on a 3x3 FFA with You as the Uthuk, your roomie as Daqan, me as Elves and Jackie as Undead. 

Each person gets both heroes and any available upgrades. Winner gets bragging rights 4eva.