That Blasted Samophlange

The original assault gunboat..

On 13/09/2017 at 6:56 PM, GrimmyV said:

I say we ask Fractalsponge very politely to make a rendering of the XG-3 version. Time to think up some stat lines and stuff!

Cannon, Crew and System. Maybe 3 attack. Remove missiles and torpedoes.

On 9/13/2017 at 11:23 PM, Wondergecko said:

I have one of those! I call her the Carrion Spike. ;)

IMG_20170814_163604_523.jpg

Cruise missile Carrion Spike for the next Imp Huge Corvette.  But only if the model will include the pilot figure in a secret compartment so he can peek out and see the pew pew pew!

do you have the pics during constructing this beauty?

53 minutes ago, GrimmyV said:

Cruise missile Carrion Spike for the next Imp Huge Corvette.  But only if the model will include the pilot figure in a secret compartment so he can peek out and see the pew pew pew!

do you have the pics during constructing this beauty?

I do! Scroll down a few rows at the page below and you'll find them. :)

https://www.instagram.com/table_top_gun/

Edit: I had an incomplete parts list for this if anyone is looking to replicate the build.

Nose -- cruise missile trooper vehicle
Tail -- AST 5 mini rig
Mid section -- styrene square tubing

Greebles:
Sides and bottom of 'neck': tons of gundam guns, with half used on each side. Thrusters also come from these:
Circles:

One more helpful picture:

The large beige ribbed semicylinder is the 'hip' of a battle droid from that STAP model kit from years back, and the new main guns and rectenna (shown on the Instagram) are from my Shapeways shop.
Edited by Wondergecko

6 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

I noticed you called the Shapeways GUNBOAT an ‘assault shuttle’. Back in 2014.  I’m sure you know better now ;)

amazing work!  I love the Scout ship!  At first I thought it was a squarish IPV.

Oh, man -- you give no quarter! Hahaha. I didn't play X-wing or TIE fighter as a kid, just Rogue Squadron, so if it wasn't in there or the essential guides, I didn't know that much about it. I stand corrected, friend.

And, thank you! I guess at the low poly counts of the old PC games, everything was sort of a squarish IPV, eh?

On 9/13/2017 at 6:24 AM, FTS Gecko said:

Ah yes, the Kenner mini-rigs.  I remember those oddities.

swgc5_41.jpg

The first ep of a doc series, The Toys That Made Us, is all about Kenner getting the Star Wars toy rights; they touch briefly on the mini-vehicles and I think I remember having the weird steamroller thing.

Seriously great series if you're interested, on Netflix:
1.Kenner/Star Wars
2.Barbie
3.He-Man
4.G.I. Joe

...lots of fun nostalgia, next four eps dropping in January I think.

On 9/13/2017 at 1:16 PM, Kieransi said:

I wish my younger self had had the dough to afford Brickmaster... now I really wish I knew what the fluff text was for that model! (The text to the left of the instructions).

Wish there was a better scan.

That XG-3 model is, sorry to say, simple and ugly. It doesn't pay enough respect to the glorious original model. -_-

After seeing some ucs models such as the Firespray and the B-Wing (not to mention the Millennium Falcon) I am positive that models can be assembled with waaaay more detail. 

Edited by Arma Quattro

True, as a frequent LEGO builder, I also think that the XG-3 shown is kinda simple. Keep in mind that it's an alternate build for a set that only had a couple dozen pieces and was sold in gas stations and checkout lines for like $5. 

I bet the real XG-3, wherever that may be, is a thing of beauty. Also, a UCS GUNBOAT would be the best thing ever. Do it, LEGO! 

38 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

True, as a frequent LEGO builder, I also think that the XG-3 shown is kinda simple. Keep in mind that it's an alternate build for a set that only had a couple dozen pieces and was sold in gas stations and checkout lines for like $5. 

I bet the real XG-3, wherever that may be, is a thing of beauty. Also, a UCS GUNBOAT would be the best thing ever. Do it, LEGO! 

Keep in mind, I love Legos (and Gunboats ?) and seen through the eyes of a kid even a bunch of bricks assembled together become the coolest starfighter ever.

I even admit that I loved flying my millennium falcon around the living room after building it. ?