clanofwolves

So what the Imps need to keep up with the Jones'

So, FFG clearly loves bombs and is now giving Rebels yet another bomber to add to their collection of the #1 bomber the K-Wing, the #2 bomber the Scurrg and the #1 bombing crew in Sabine. We need not say it, but Scum has the #2 Scurrg and the #2 bombing crew with Cad Bane. Now though we no not the dial, it seems the new bombing Rebel gift is going to at least be a tough and not badly priced big one. Either way, it seems this ship will take place #3 and will certainly add some cool new bomb "launching abilities" for itself, most notably in my opinion the Scurrg platform and for all factions to try out.

My wonderment is, how can we possibly get the Imperial faction into this wonderful design space that FFG loves so much? Is there anything in the coming Wave 12 and 13 that will assist them more than their counterparts?

Let's face it, the TIE Bomber just isn't one at all, she's a middle of the road missile platform which is almost relegated as a Unguided Rockets or bust kind of ship. Sad that this icon cannot actually bomb like it does in the movies. The new Imperial list BBBBZ that's doing OK is nice, but she's still no bomber really at all, just a heavy TIE fighter.

In addition, the TIE Punisher has always been the expensive, clumsy, not very able bomber that wasn't a match AT ALL against its Wave buddy the K-Wing. It's like the designers meant for it to absolutely suck in comparison; I cannot see how any designers or play-testers thought these would be equal ships to give to opposing factions. She has no Slam, no turret, no crew, no nothing good really, save boost. She's probably the butt of more jokes in XWM than she's ever been discussed as ships to willingly place in lists. What? Anyway, it sees minimal Epic play where I've been and usually then it's simply carrying missiles.

So the Imperials are really the only faction in cannon to use massive amounts of Bombers and ordinance to obliterate targets, installations and even planets, so what does FFG do? The Imperials have two dedicated Bombers, errrr ordnance missile boats that are minimally OK at missiles casually, but almost exclusively unplayable in a tournament setting save the above mentioned BBBBZ that might make a top 32?

Wondering.......

Edited by clanofwolves

The imperial counterpart to Sabine and Cad bane needs to be slightly different. Not a unique crew that affects all the bombs on the field... what the imperials need is a torpedo slot that gives an extra bomb slot as well as another bonus to THAT SHIP. Non unique, ships with bombs spend a torpedo slot to make their bombs good... and every imperial ship with a bomb has a torpedo slot.

I want the following:

1. Thrawn Crew Card: Add Coordinate to Your Action Bar - 3 pts

2. ISTDs - Procs on Hits & Crits Now

3. ISTDs - Choose any Damage Card, not just Pilot Cards........7 DIRECT HITs :) 

4. Deal with some Imperial Broke Stuff Rebel Scum

Edited by Boom Owl

4 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

3. ISTDs - Choose any Damage Card, not just Pilot Cards

Yeah right xD

We misunderstood the card when we first played with it, against A-Wings. That is a single crit on a full health ship to destroy it. Same for e.g. Corran because it goes through shields.

24 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

My wonderment is, how can we possibly get the Imperial faction into this wonderful design space that FFG loves so much?

Do we want that?! I definitely don't. I don't want Imperials to be good, I don't care about the faction image on my card. Instead I want those archetypes/playstyles to be viable and good again where the Empire was always the strongest. That's an important difference.

·Lieutenant Geht Reqt

Imperial Only

Your upgrade bar gains the [Missile] upgrade icon. Once per round, when a friendly [Missile] secondary attack hits an enemy ship, choose 1 enemy ship at Range 1 of the enemy ship. That ship suffers 1 damage.

Slot: 1 Crew

Cost: 2 points

Why try to keep up with the Jones?

Edited by kris40k

It would probably really help if the Rebel and Scum bombers weren't all Turret ships. With Advanced Slam you need to give up a shot but not with anything else. 

Firing Arc ships need to consistently point at a target to match the damage output from turrets and try to avoid bombs at the same time. 

It's not just bombs. 

I'm pretty confident that the new rebel bomber is in fact the bearer of cards that will do better on the Punisher. Of course, I've done very little research, but looking at the thread of what happens when large based ships launch bombs it seems to be geared toward small bases.

The question is, are Imperials just cooler because they're not playing bombwing?

It's really not just about the Imperials getting the same thing as the other factions- getting the same things as other factions 5 waves and 10 metas late does nothing.

The empire's identity was swarm, ace, tech.  Bombs have erased swarms and Aces, and thier Aces are often out aced, and the new tech has gone elsewhere since the advanced cloaking device wreck.  They pushed "space superiority fighters" and then gave both factions large ships that laugh at puny little fighters.

The design team keeps trying conservative new space with the empire and then giving the other factions he better version of it afterward while catching up the Imperials waves and metas after usefulness.

And they have to nerf OP and NPE items from all factions, not just 1. 

1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

Behold our Lord and Saviour

swx69_spread_legal.png

:P

You know, the more I look at the hidden second unique pilot, the more I feel he might get an extra evade dice if he's attacked outside his firing arc. Also, I'm beginning to feel that the OS-1 title let's you use your missiles and torpedoes against Large Ships only (or smalls only?) even if you have a Weapons Disabled token.

7 hours ago, Kieransi said:

The TIE Bomber behaves best for me as a missle carrier. 

Gamma Squadron Veteran (19)

Cruise Missiles (3)

Extra Munitions (2)

Guidance Chips (0)

Deadeye (1)

Four of those things can wreck anyone's day pretty quickly! 

I dont remember ever seeing a Tie bomber on TV or in movies that shoot missiles or torp. They are always doing bomb runs from what i remember, Yet they cant even equip the bomblets. The worst part is they tried to fix the ship by making it a shuttle but it cant carry the crews that would profit the most from the title (ie Palp and Hux...)

My only hope is that we get the really good bomber Imperials need with the new FO version. And if we are lucky it will come with a title to fix the old bomber and the Punisher. My hope are not super high after seeing they did not provide a similar title to fic the Interceptor with the Silencer. Missed opportunity...

9 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

So, FFG clearly loves bombs and is now giving Rebels yet another bomber to add to their collection of the #1 bomber the K-Wing, the #2 bomber the Scurrg and the #1 bombing crew in Sabine. We need not say it, but Scum has the #2 Scurrg and the #2 bombing crew with Cad Bane. Now though we no not the dial, it seems the new bombing Rebel gift is going to at least be a tough and not badly priced big one. Either way, it seems this ship will take place #3 and will certainly add some cool new bomb "launching abilities" for itself, most notably in my opinion the Scurrg platform and for all factions to try out.

My wonderment is, how can we possibly get the Imperial faction into this wonderful design space that FFG loves so much? Is there anything in the coming Wave 12 and 13 that will assist them more than their counterparts?

Let's face it, the TIE Bomber just isn't one at all, she's a middle of the road missile platform which is almost relegated as a Unguided Rockets or bust kind of ship. Sad that this icon cannot actually bomb like it does in the movies. The new Imperial list BBBBZ that's doing OK is nice, but she's still no bomber really at all, just a heavy TIE fighter.

In addition, the TIE Punisher has always been the expensive, clumsy, not very able bomber that wasn't a match AT ALL against its Wave buddy the K-Wing. It's like the designers meant for it to absolutely suck in comparison; I cannot see how any designers or play-testers thought these would be equal ships to give to opposing factions. She has no Slam, no turret, no crew, no nothing good really, save boost. She's probably the butt of more jokes in XWM than she's ever been discussed as ships to willingly place in lists. What? Anyway, it sees minimal Epic play where I've been and usually then it's simply carrying missiles.

So the Imperials are really the only faction in cannon to use massive amounts of Bombers and ordinance to obliterate targets, installations and even planets, so what does FFG do? The Imperials have two dedicated Bombers, errrr ordnance missile boats that are minimally OK at missiles casually, but almost exclusively unplayable in a tournament setting save the above mentioned BBBBZ that might make a top 32?

Wondering.......

I think you're selling the bomber short. While it can't throw bombs around like Miranda or Nym it does make a heck of a missile boat. Pair two with Stridan in an Upsilon shuttle, add a little out of the box thinking and BANG! You're throwing 4-5 reds with Cruise Missiles.

I think too often we get tunnel vision with builds and look only at high PS pilots and ignore lower PS ones with unique abilities.