Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Authraw

So... Netrunner just got a revised Core Set. Are we next?

24 posts in this topic

I don't play netrunner, but reading the linked article it seems the following effects are in place:

1) The new core set has only cards that were previously published; but some are from different cycles.  Some of the old core set cards are not in the new core set.  Quantities of cards and card art may be different.

2) Rotation is introduced, so older cycles (and core cards not in the new core) will stop being legal for tournament play.

Since LOTR has no tournament scene there's not much point to rotation.  I'm not sure a revised core that drops some weak cards and pulls in some cards from Mirkwood & Khazad Dum, followed by those cycles being left out of print, would be a good thing.

However, if they did revise the core and gave new quests, I'd certainly buy a third core regardless of player card content.

HeavyKaragh likes this

I would certainly hope so. A revised core set would be an excellent way not only to expand the player card pool but also to fix some of its problems. Future new players, which we know are still coming, would appreciate a more balanced version of the Core set created after the card & quest design lessons learned in the past few cycles.

You wish. I wish too xD

A revised core set that would contain revised versions of all the suck cards from the original while instead of the cool cards it would have also revised versions of the suck cards from the earlier cycles. 

Authraw likes this

As far I know there is not such things that "revised versions" in any V2. In GoT there is some cards reprinted and some new cards but no cards who replaced the old one (ie with the same name). In Netrunner there is only reprint too. In both cases they are mandatory because of the rotation plan and the need to keep some of the old cards in competitive play. In warhammer 40k LCG (sort of a V2 of warhammer LCG) it is a 100% new game.

So you can imagine a V2 version of our game AND imagine that they will do revised versions of cards but it become highly unlikely.

The Netrunner re-core doesn't really do anything to the game except maybe help new people get into the game with less upfront expenditure by giving them more relevant cards in the core.  That could happen to us or not.  I wouldn't care one way or the other unless it brought more players in (which is good for our game).  We still see new threads of people joining our game all the time though.

If we were to get a V2 - and I don't think we need it yet, but maybe in a few more cycles - I hope that it's a complete reboot and we start from scratch.  (I have a lot of ideas, but I'll keep them to myself unless Caleb asks me.)

One of the main purposes of the revised core for Netrunner seems to be adding certain cards from the earlier cycles that they do not wish to be lost during rotation (consider the core set is always legal).

As Dale said, LOTR doesn't need rotation and so that purpose is lost, so I'd be surprised to see a revised core for this game. Not that it wouldn't be a pleasant surprise; it would be nice to see what purpose could be filled by such a product, maybe improvements and nerfs to cards from the first cycle isn't a bad idea.

Authraw and donkler like this

14 hours ago, Lipm said:

One of the main purposes of the revised core for Netrunner seems to be adding certain cards from the earlier cycles that they do not wish to be lost during rotation (consider the core set is always legal).

Perhaps equally important are the Core cards that are now getting rotating out that everyone thought would be evergreen. It's going to massively change the playstyles of certain factions.

Imagine a new LotR core which yanked A Test of Will, Hasty Stroke, Northern Tracker, and Unexpected Courage from Spirit. That's basically what happened to the Anarch core cards.

In any case, this being a co-op LCG makes it a different animal. Just thought it was worth a note.

Lipm likes this

5 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

I thought that the core and deluxe expansions didn't rotate?

They don't. They never said anything about a new Core Set, though. ;)

16 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

I thought that the core and deluxe expansions didn't rotate?

By introducing a new Core set they basically banned some cards in the old core that were supposed to stay and saved some cards from the packs in the first two cycles that were going to rotate out.

A new core set for this game seems pretty unnecessary as long as we have the original. Would it have new cards that we only get 1 offs of again? Not great. Would it only have existing cards? Seems bad since players would still have to go back and buy the original Core to have a complete collection. Same set of player cards as the original, but all new quests... wait actually that might be worth it :blink:.

6 hours ago, wolframius said:

By introducing a new Core set they basically banned some cards in the old core that were supposed to stay and saved some cards from the packs in the first two cycles that were going to rotate out.

I didn't read through everything as I don't play NR, but did they really rotate out the old core and cards from it?  I would be pretty pissed if I were a relatively new player and they did that.

1 hour ago, Bullroarer Took said:

I didn't read through everything as I don't play NR, but did they really rotate out the old core and cards from it?  I would be pretty pissed if I were a relatively new player and they did that.

This is a raging debate in/around the Netrunner community. A charitable (or is it apologetic?) perspective is that FFG is pulled in several directions for their games' core sets, and they chose to sacrifice a certain amount of recently-new player goodwill in order to Save the Game as a whole in the longer term. The whole LCG rotation thing is new to the company, and it remains to be seen whether they can pull it off.

Edited by sappidus

A new core set sounds Ok, as long as it's not a reboot. I'd probably swap the quests out for different ones, as I wonder how many new players are put off progressing with the game by Dol Guldur. Some of the core set just isn't playable anymore, so if they wanted to reprint some of the better cards from the cycles so new players can jump in better, I'd say go for it.

17 minutes ago, CaffeineAddict said:

A new core set sounds Ok, as long as it's not a reboot. I'd probably swap the quests out for different ones, as I wonder how many new players are put off progressing with the game by Dol Guldur. Some of the core set just isn't playable anymore, so if they wanted to reprint some of the better cards from the cycles so new players can jump in better, I'd say go for it.

I'm going to start telling newbies that EoDG is a print-on-demand quest they mistakenly included in the Core box. ;)

farealh likes this

12 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

An excellent point.

Hehe nice pun.

I'm getting increasingly annoyed at the predictive auto correct spelling on my tablet as it is putting some bizarre things in. Sometimes (not in this case) it is ignoring a real word that I type and substituting what seems to be a made-up word in its place.... how on earth is that of any use its just ridiculous. My settings I have checked and should be fine, but its just crazy.

I really need to proof read after typing.

I think that it would be cool to see the Core Set released for 50-70 USD that included the original Core Set with all cards 3x, a small batch of some alternate art versions of some core set cards, and then maybe include the first cycle of adventure packs also, perhaps also with some alternate art cards and maybe cool new tokens or threat counters or something. That would make it an appealing investment for new players, and also get old players to buy it.   

Lecitadin likes this

1 hour ago, divinityofnumber said:

I think that it would be cool to see the Core Set released for 50-70 USD that included the original Core Set with all cards 3x, a small batch of some alternate art versions of some core set cards, and then maybe include the first cycle of adventure packs also, perhaps also with some alternate art cards and maybe cool new tokens or threat counters or something. That would make it an appealing investment for new players, and also get old players to buy it.   

What a cool idea!

On 9-10-2017 at 6:47 PM, divinityofnumber said:

Wishful thinking...

And never going to happen.

A big reason for the new net runner core is that many of the core set cards were too efficient and limited the design space for new cards. These cards are leaving the game because they are not reprinted in the core.

I could see FFG actually wrapping up LOTR LCG by releasing a really slick storage and organization box with a guide to collecting the game and a revised way to play the entire product cycle as a massive epic campaign. They could then progressively re-print the cycles for new players. The accompanying book would also include lots of faqs and play guides and the rules for each delux.

Its like a TV show that has entered syndication. 

Edited by TylerTT