Sign in to follow this  
TallGiraffe

It's Another Day (Article day?)

1 hour ago, darkjawa103 said:

It's still early so we'll see. Kind of expecting to see a rehash of Death Knights and/or Scouts since they're out next week. 

The actually already did 2 articles for each of those, so I doubt it'll be them.  I'm guessing more details on some of the Uthuk units or maybe the Viper Legion announcement.

Just now, Willange said:

The actually already did 2 articles for each of those, so I doubt it'll be them.  I'm guessing more details on some of the Uthuk units or maybe the Viper Legion announcement.

I sincerely hope they do something else before the viper thingies, mostly as people expect it so heavily and I enjoy Schadenfreude.

i suspect vipers will apply blight.

Even though its kinda lame to have 2 ranged units cause blight, conditions are clumsy and adding a new bane would just do the same thing blight is: technically its a bane, but it only comes from one source atm.

I'd rather the banes we got become wide spread so they can be applied by many factions in many ways, even if some are a bit redundant, than i would rather see like 6-8 banes, but 3 of them are basically unit specific.

It won't be blight.  Blight and Poison co-existed as conditions in Battlelore, so I don't see why they wouldn't here.  Mechanically, they are quite different.  Blight was always to debuff damage and move speed.  In RW, it's only the damage.  Poison boosted your ability to damage the target unit.  I would suspect that in RW, it will either be a damage-over-time effect or else it will increase vulnerability to attack.

Beyond that, as a designer, would you really make 2 archer units in 2 different armies that just do damage and leave blight tokens?  I suspect the answer would be no.  I agree with Budgernaut that it might be a new condition rather than an actual bane.  I could see that going either way.

Edited by Willange

I'm really hoping for poison over blight. Maybe take damage the next turn as well or something like that. Or like Willange said increase vulnerability to attack, so maybe -1 armor. double surge unique that subtracts 1 armor until it is booned away. or maybe just that turn and the next at most.

I'm thinking we'll get the berserker article before we get the viper legion release.

Direct damage would be waaaaaayyyyy too powerful in this game.  For the effect of poison, thematically, it would weaken your opponent or kill them.  If its just killing them then surge to add damage works in the same way within the game function.  If it weakens your opponents unit then stun, blight, immobilize all work to the same effect.

I really dislike the need to add more complexity for complexities sake to a game.  There is also the added complication that people who get the "new" tokens will be Uthuk players and the people who actually need the tokens will be everyone but Uthuk players.

As I said, I could see DoT but I can also see an increase in vulnerability.  Poison in battlelore allowed an extra die symbol to be used for damage.  Mechanically, this was a condition more similar to a vulnerability or armor break.  The banes that runewars has, don't do anything close to this.  Blight only represents a reduction in offensive potential, though carrion worms and deathcallers depend on blight to deal damage.  Poison represents a reduction in durability or an increase in your opponent's ability to deal damage.  The point here is that it wouldn't be unnecessary complexity (not that 1 more bane/condition is really 'complex' in the first place), it would do something mechanically different which has little to no representation in the game so far.

There's a lot of precedent in FFG games for new banes and conditions in minis games.  X-wing has introduced many new tokens over its lifetime and more recently condition cards.  Descent and Imperial Assault both introduce new boons/banes occasionally.  Armada notably does not, but that game's core never really had that concept either.  Battlelore came out with a new token in almost every expansion, all whopping 7 of them.  I agree with Flightmaster though that the token thing could be weird, but I assume you let your opponent use your tokens.  I mean, no one I've ever gamed with is that stingy about tokens.  If they are, they have no business gaming with people IRL.  Even so, a condition card gets around this.

The only issue I have with condition cards is that rally/inspire doesn't remove them.  If every new effect is a condition and not a bane, then that indirectly nerfs rally/inspire.  The fact that we have a 'boon' category at all indicates to me the intention of one day having more than just inspiration tokens as boons.  That doesn't necessarily say anything about banes though I suppose.

Ultimately, I'm only trying to speculate on what I think it will be. I'm not trying to push what I think should happen because that would have no effect since the designers have likely already decided. I think it should be a new condition card, personally, unless they intend for lots of future units to use it.  

1 hour ago, Darthain said:

@Willange damage over time should be avoided in non automated systems, as it is clumsy and error prone, unfortunately they've already gone down that path with death knights...  Too much bookkeeping.

I agree it's annoying to keep track of.  But unfortunately you are right about the DKs having them.  There's also at least 2 terrains I can think of with DoT effects on them.  I think it's something we'll see more of over time for better or worse.

4 hours ago, Willange said:

I agree it's annoying to keep track of.  But unfortunately you are right about the DKs having them.  There's also at least 2 terrains I can think of with DoT effects on them.  I think it's something we'll see more of over time for better or worse.

Terrain is a lot less bad than status counters, at least it requires proximity.  

Edited by Darthain

@Willange what would be bad about saying surge+ add a hit (or damage) and calling it ‘poison shot’.  Essentially you are adding an extra die symbol to the damage pool.  I get it didn’t work exactly that way in BattleLore, but not everything has to be the same.

I know there is precident for new tokens to be added to the game, but it isn’t always a good thing.  Specifically to X-Wing it’s made the game very hard to keep track of.  In descent there are now 5billion stacks of cards to deal with because of all the conditions.  More non core complexity also moves the entry point away from new players.