Sign in to follow this  
Sirdrasco

When is the collection big enough?

So i'm fielding the Waiqar and think my army, collection, is big enough. I have:

Heroes: Maro and Ardus

2 Infantry command packs

16 stands of infantry

8 stands of archers

4 Carrion Lancers

When they come out i'll get 4 stands of Death Knights and 4 Stands of wraiths.

When do you feel your collection is big enough?

Edited by Sirdrasco

I think your collection is big enough when your list-building doesn't feel hampered by lack of figures, dials, or upgrades. You don't necessarily need to be able to field every formation of a unit if it is a unit you are not interested in. For example, you only have 4 Carrion Lancers, so you can't run the max formation, but if you have no intention of ever doing that, then it's no problem. Your collection is big enough.

It's also worth pointing out that your collection could be big enough if you have the pieces necessary to run yourfavorite 200-point list. No use buying extra stuff you won't use. Of course, I think having some flexibility and variety in list-building is important for games like this, so I think few people would stop at a single 200-point list.

As an owner of a sole core set, my collection is certainly not big enough.

To quote Three Days Grace, "One too many is never enough." But your collection looks pretty good. I'd be happy if I had 12 trays of Reanimates - right now I have only 6 trays.  Death Knights...I could see you wanting 6 trays, but starting off with 4 will give you a good idea of whether you like them enough to get more.

With new units coming out at a good pace, I don't anticipate ever feeling that my collection is big enough. I am collecting conservatively at first, because once that Barrow Wyrm comes out, he'll probably be in every one of my armies.

50 minutes ago, Sirdrasco said:

When they come out i'll get 4 stands of Death Knights and 4 Stands of wraiths.

There's the rub. What about the next undead monstrosity that they haven't announced yet? Won't you end up getting a couple Banshees, Barghests, a Vampire Lord hero, etc.? My experience with collectible games has always been, I keep collecting until I lose interest in the game. That's also why I've never been the one to go out and buy $300 of cavalry or whatever, because I know that pretty soon all those cavalry will be competing for space in my army with the new hotness.

I have....

2 Kari

1 Hawthorne

2 Infantry Command Upgrades for Daqan

16 trays of Spearmen

10 trays of Oathsworn

9 Rune Golems

And I plan on getting 3 boxes of Crossbowmen and Outland Scouts

1 Latari Army box for Deepwood archers

Also plan on downsizing 1 golem and 4 spearmen trays.

Edited by TallGiraffe

My waiqar collection is...

both heroes

4 lancers

6 trays archers

16 trays reanimates

2 command upgrades 

I can field almost anything practical, but I want 26 trays of reanimates so I can bring a 4x3 and 4x4 of tarpits.

as the new units approach this seems more and more impractical....another 4 should suffice.

Ive Also 2 Kari (1 unpainted, naturally)

18 spears, 10 cav, 6 golems, 2 command, 2 boxes elves...

3 box xbows preorder, 1 of everything for elves preorder (likely want 2nd command).  Also could use to ditch some spears

Edited by Darthain

43 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

Once your up an running with 1 army.  Picking up each expansion for that army will be totally reasonable.  Like next calendar year, Waiqar will have like 3 new units?  That may not even be enough!

Totally.  Miniature games are big upfront cost, relatively minor upkeep costs, and years of gaming!

(Until you inevitably start collecting more and more armies!)

Yeah the each army thing is the issue.

i have so many orks the odds of me paying more than 100 in a 3 month span is unlikely, even at GW prices.
However if i get a Tyranid army (which i want to because i LOVE the models, but ive talked myself out of it) i'd be dumping borderline 1000 straight up at GW prices.

Thankfully this isnt GW so the upfront cost to get an army to the 200pt threshold is only 200-300 depending on the unit comp you chose (potentially more if you do something silly like spam cavalry), rather than a grand or two.

For me it's how much "bang for my buck" do I get? Given I only play about once every 3-4 weeks, I'm not adding to the Core set all that much. If I played weekly, it would be a different story and I'd probably have one of every single box at this point. 

My short answer would be that, yes, there can easily be a point where you have enough. 

1 hour ago, Hawkman2000 said:

For me it's how much "bang for my buck" do I get? Given I only play about once every 3-4 weeks, I'm not adding to the Core set all that much. If I played weekly, it would be a different story and I'd probably have one of every single box at this point. 

My short answer would be that, yes, there can easily be a point where you have enough. 

The amount of time you can spend painting, and the feeling of satisfaction you get from having painted models adds a lot to the "bang for my buck"

It's large enough when you can make all the armies you will realistically use.  I have a dream to try an army composed entirely of single tray rune golems, but will I use that more than once or twice?  Not likely, so I won't spend another $150-200 on Rune Golems.

I play, but not that much. I figured Reanimates and Reanimate Archers were going to be my army's backbone. So I have enough to field a max size unit of each. From there, two infantry commands to flesh (giggle) those out. The rest of my buying is based on getting one of everything and redudancies once I decide I like a unit. 

Ankaur

Ardus

12 Reanimate Tray

6 Reanimate Archer

2 Carrion Lancer (will end up being 6).

Will buy 2 trays Death Nights and one Banshee/whatever at first. 

My army consists of as many units as I could see myself actually putting into an army.

So for waiqar is have:

20 trays reanimates (3x4 and a 3x3 with a carrion lancer in one of them)

12 trays Reanimate archers (two 3x2s)

8 trays of carrion lancers (just in case I want to try that 2x3 and astill have a 1x2 speed bump

3 infantry commans

and ankaur and ardus

daqan is similar:

16 trays spearman (enough for 2 3x3s with embedded golems

12 trays oathsworn (3 4x1s or 2 3x2s)

8 trays Rune golems (same as carrion lancers)

3 infantry commands

and hawthorne and kari

I plan on doing this for all the factions, I like having options better than pigeonholing myself into an army just because thats what I have

Edited by taylorcowbell

6 minutes ago, taylorcowbell said:

My army consists of as many units as I could see myself actually putting into an army.

So for waiqar is have:

20 trays reanimates (3x4 and a 3x3 with a carrion lancer in one of them)

12 trays Reanimate archers (two 3x2s)

8 trays of carrion lancers (just in case I want to try that 2x3 and astill have a 1x2 speed bump

3 infantry commans

and ankaur and ardus

daqan is similar:

16 trays spearman (enough for 2 3x3s with embedded golems

12 trays oathsworn (3 4x1s or 2 3x2s)

8 trays Rune golems (same as carrion lancers)

3 infantry commands

and hawthorne and kari

I plan on doing this for all the factions, I like having options better than pigeonholing myself into an army just because thats what I have

Legends say, he is still painting to this day ...

3 minutes ago, taylorcowbell said:

No plan on painting any of it. Painting has no appeal to me, and as it would cost me  literal fortune to get it painted, im gonna be the grey army forever

Painting is a lot cheaper than buying all those expansions in the first place, unless you consider the time investment as a cost. But if it's just not your thing, that's understandable.

Edit: oh never mind, you meant paying a commission to have someone paint it for you. I can't attest to how much that would cost, but I suspect it's still cheaper. Maybe just hit them all with some spray primer and call it a day?

Edited by Contrapulator

1 minute ago, Contrapulator said:

Painting is a lot cheaper than buying all those expansions in the first place, unless you consider the time investment as a cost. But if it's just not your thing, that's understandable.

I consider time investment as a cost. I get paid to stream video games in my spare time, so taking time to do painting literally costs me money.