Biophysical

Three Faces of Kylo Ren: Ideas on build possibilities

7 minutes ago, Rakaydos said:

And that's not even mentioning the generics that save 5-7 XP each for surrendering the inititive war.

I suspect the PS7 may actually be the best one, but it will remain to be seen.  I know they'll want to put a baller ability in this thing and Kylo doesn't get it.

Instead of a stripped down Decimator, I wonder about a sumo Upsilon.  You could do:

Major Stridan (32), FCS (2), Pattern Analyzer (2), Engine Upgrade (4), Palpatine (8), Title (2) = 50 points. 

It's worse than a Decimator at killing Nym, but it does have some stress control, speed, a huge gun, and Coordinate.  

How about this barebones list...high PS, lots of health, good firepower and Backdraft supplies crits for Kylos condition...

Unnamed Squadron (100)

"Backdraft" — TIE/sf Fighter 27
Veteran Instincts 1
Fire-Control System 2
Special Ops Training 0
Ship Total: 30

"Quickdraw" — TIE/sf Fighter 29
Adaptability 0
Fire-Control System 2
Special Ops Training 0
Ship Total: 31

Kylo Ren (TIE Silencer) — TIE Silencer 35
Adaptability 0
Fire-Control System 2
Autothrusters 2
Ship Total: 39

7 minutes ago, bmf said:

How about this barebones list...high PS, lots of health, good firepower and Backdraft supplies crits for Kylos condition...

Unnamed Squadron (100)

Veteran Instincts 1
Fire-Control System 2
Special Ops Training 0

Adaptability 0
Fire-Control System 2
Special Ops Training 0

Adaptability 0
Fire-Control System 2
Autothrusters 2

FANTASTIC

1 hour ago, Biophysical said:

Instead of a stripped down Decimator, I wonder about a sumo Upsilon.  You could do:

Major Stridan (32), FCS (2), Pattern Analyzer (2), Engine Upgrade (4), Palpatine (8), Title (2) = 50 points. 

It's worse than a Decimator at killing Nym, but it does have some stress control, speed, a huge gun, and Coordinate.  

God i want the Upsilon to work more than anyone.

But end of the day....the amount of time your Upsilon spends not shooting anything at all against 100% turrets and bombs lists.....really makes it an uphill battle. 

In today's game you really cant afford to go more than 1 turn without doing damage to an opponent without out right losing the HP countdown.

Coordinate is amazing and so is Palp and that Title.......but your basically only rolling 3 red dice with Kylo in attack each turn if your opponent isnt generous enough to stay in Major's arc for no reason. 

Best I have done is to use Advanced sensors to pre movement boost then hard 1 turn to get back in the fight. 

Edited by Boom Owl

10 minutes ago, bmf said:

Unnamed Squadron (100)

Veteran Instincts 1
Fire-Control System 2
Special Ops Training 0

Adaptability 0
Fire-Control System 2
Special Ops Training 0

Adaptability 0
Fire-Control System 2
Autothrusters 2

Genius. A couple of things, though:

The VI does not synergize with the adaptabilities. Id rather put adaptability on both sfs and vi on kxlo. Or ASTS on QD to trigger ISYTDS, trick shot on kylo and vi on bd. All 9s then.

I also value lwf on qd higher than fcs on backdtaft, but thats just me.

21 minutes ago, bmf said:

Unnamed Squadron (100)

Veteran Instincts 1
Fire-Control System 2
Special Ops Training 0

Adaptability 0
Fire-Control System 2
Special Ops Training 0

Adaptability 0
Fire-Control System 2
Autothrusters 2

Am I missing something? I would expect SFs to die pretty fast given the absence of LWF.

A fat Kylo and a fat Upsilon could do well in the hands of a good pilot.

Kylo Ren

• PTL
  • Adv Sensors
  • Pattern Analyzer
  • Authothrusters
  • First Order Vanguard

Total: 47 pts

Major Stridan

• FCS
  • Emperor Palpatine
  • Hyperwave Comm Scanner
  • Pattern Analyzer
  • Engine Upgrade
  • Kylo Ren's Shuttle

Total: 51 pts

Stridan helps keep Kylo alive with a billion actions. Kylo has stressless double actions before or after he moves with PTL and Adv Sensors/PA. Range 3 Coordinate gives him a third action. He should be suitably annoying to deal with as long as the shuttle is alive. If they go for the shuttle, Kylo should be able to survive long enough to make it to the endgame.

Turn 1 supertokened lone wolf kylo with palpatine support, who can be made to barrel roll or boost at PS3 to avoid bombers.

Kylo Ren (TIE Silencer) (35)
Lone Wolf (2)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Sensor Cluster (2)
Autothrusters (2)
First Order Vanguard (2)

Lieutenant Dormitz (31)
Reinforced Deflectors (3)
Emperor Palpatine (8)
Hyperwave Comm Scanner (1)
Hyperwave Comm Scanner (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Kylo Ren's Shuttle (2)

Total: 96

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Edited by Rakaydos

1 hour ago, defkhan1 said:

A fat Kylo and a fat Upsilon could do well in the hands of a good pilot.

Kylo Ren

• PTL
  • Adv Sensors
  • Pattern Analyzer
  • Authothrusters
  • First Order Vanguard

Total: 47 pts

Major Stridan

• FCS
  • Emperor Palpatine
  • Hyperwave Comm Scanner
  • Pattern Analyzer
  • Engine Upgrade
  • Kylo Ren's Shuttle

Total: 51 pts

Stridan helps keep Kylo alive with a billion actions. Kylo has stressless double actions before or after he moves with PTL and Adv Sensors/PA. Range 3 Coordinate gives him a third action. He should be suitably annoying to deal with as long as the shuttle is alive. If they go for the shuttle, Kylo should be able to survive long enough to make it to the endgame.

Maybe it's not worth the bid, but I'd dump Hyperwave Comm Scanner for Advanced Optics.  The Upsilon spends enough time boosting or coordinating that having a reloadable Focus bank would be pretty useful.

Edited by Biophysical

I just dont see how an Upsilon could ever be better than this.....Stridan just seems like dead weight

Rear Admiral Chiraneau — VT-49 Decimator 46
Adaptability 0
Emperor Palpatine 8
Engine Upgrade 4
Ship Total: 58

Push the Limit 3
Fire-Control System 2
Autothrusters 2
Ship Total: 42
Edited by Boom Owl

1 hour ago, PT106 said:

Am I missing something? I would expect SFs to die pretty fast given the absence of LWF.

One conditional extra green die is nice, but doesn't really propel the SF into a whole different defensive class.  FCS is what you buy first.  There's a lot of ship in that list.

2 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I just dont see how an Upsilon could ever be better than this:

Rear Admiral Chiraneau — VT-49 Decimator 46
Adaptability 0
Emperor Palpatine 8
Engine Upgrade 4
Ship Total: 58

Push the Limit 3
Fire-Control System 2
Autothrusters 2
Ship Total: 42

You'd take the Upsilon to leave more points for Kylo.   Better Kylo, smaller counterpart. 

5 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

You'd take the Upsilon to leave more points for Kylo.   Better Kylo, smaller counterpart. 

I get the idea....guess I have just failed miserably to many times with the Upsilon and Whisper to see this working any different. 

If I don't take RAC I usually would rather take Kath or Boba and get a few more attacks in. 

Push the Limit 3
Advanced Sensors 3
Primed Thrusters 1
Autothrusters 2
Ship Total: 44

Kath Scarlet — Firespray-31 38
Expertise 4
"Mangler" Cannon 4
Rebel Captive 3
Bomblet Generator 3
Engine Upgrade 4
Andrasta 0
Ship Total: 56
Edited by Boom Owl

4 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

I just dont see how an Upsilon could ever be better than this.....Stridan just seems like dead weight

Because you can't build an optimal Kylo if you have RAC in the list. You have to cut corners somewhere. Kylo/Stridan is more of a Super Kylo + support list whereas RAC/Kylo is more of a standard two ship list. 

8 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I maybe it's not worth the bid, but I'd dump Hyperwave Comm Scanner for Advanced Optics.  The Upsilon spends enough time boosting or coordinating that having a reloadable Focus bank would be pretty useful.

Yeah Hyperwave is mostly there to deploy the Upsilon at PS12. You could swap it and the bid for optics. Although I dont feel you'll be able to reload very often with Stidan. His actions are going to be either Coordinate to Kylo or boost back into the fight 90% of the time.

16 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

Because you can't build an optimal Kylo if you have RAC in the list. You have to cut corners somewhere. Kylo/Stridan is more of a Super Kylo + support list whereas RAC/Kylo is more of a standard two ship list. 

Yeah Hyperwave is mostly there to deploy the Upsilon at PS12. You could swap it and the bid for optics. Although I dont feel you'll be able to reload very often with Stidan. His actions are going to be either Coordinate to Kylo or boost back into the fight 90% of the time.

@defkhan1

Yea PTL Kylo with Coordinate sounds amazing. No debate that it makes the Silencer a serious threat.

I guess I still just cant imagine how this would roll more than 3 dice during most combat phases....unless there is some "good" player trick to keeping stuff in arc with the Upsilon without Expert Handling or Advanced Sensor Boosts that im not aware of. If only Coordinate was on a cheap small imperial ship base......wouldnt a ship like that be so thematic for the Empires Officers and give their already strong Aces a ton of flexibility to avoid the bomb meta? Wink wink. 

Definitely Game Breaking Suggestion In Bound: 

Thrawn Crew Card: Add Coordinate to your action bar - 3 pts

Edited by Boom Owl

Welcome to the war of the determined Kylo Rens, everyone.  Please dust off your old core set/TIE fighter cards, and get ready to dodge those crits!

Also note:  I don't think Electronic baffle will ever be very worth it on Kylo, since each time you use it , you get less out of your pilot ability.  It comes down to "Do I want to take damage and give them ISYTDS, or do I want to take damage and not let them shoot me?"

Edited by Infinite_Maelstrom
Long Live the Emperor!

3 hours ago, Biophysical said:

One conditional extra green die is nice, but doesn't really propel the SF into a whole different defensive class.  FCS is what you buy first.  There's a lot of ship in that list.

True, however in a TLT-heavy meta that extra die does matter. I would be tempted to drop one of SFs to a regular to get those LWFs or replace one with a Sabacc to get fully operational (PTL, PA) Kylo Ren.

7 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

I suspect the PS7 may actually be the best one

I have to agree with this. PS7 with Advanced Sensors/etc could make a good cleanup ship if paired with a Kylo-RAC throwing Damaged Cockpits around. It'll be tight on points but probably do-able.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but is there a possibility of there being a new card that will maybe use the Silencer's TL for something other than rerolls? Something akin to ATC but for the Silencer, which is why they included re-rolls in the title?

Perchance to dream

1 hour ago, PT106 said:

True, however in a TLT-heavy meta that extra die does matter. I would be tempted to drop one of SFs to a regular to get those LWFs or replace one with a Sabacc to get fully operational (PTL, PA) Kylo Ren.

Certainly that 3rd ship can flex between a lot of options, depending on what you want your other ships to be.  I know the first thing I'll try will be Zeta Ace woth A Score To Settle and probably Comm Relay for 21 points.  It leaves a lot of points for Quickdraw and Kylo, and I really flying Zeta Ace.  Weirdly enough, I actually think it synergies with the squad.  It's cheap, and a great blocker (useful since Action bombs can still wreck these ships), but it's a ship that can act as an ace that fits into a very small pocket with limited bonus action efficiency and good repositioning.  By the end of the game, it's reasonable to expect that 1-2 of your opponent's ships will be reduced to PS0, so Zeta Ace can transform into a backup arc dodger when needed.  But mostly the point space available for a modestly equipped Quickdraw + Kylo is a tight squeeze for Omega Leader.