Jump to content
Ghostofman

GoM's Modeling and Terrain

Recommended Posts

I've never done any of this before what type of paper / what size do you guys print on? Letter / Legal?

I may go over to staples on the weekend and get a bunch printed

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TrentL said:

I've never done any of this before what type of paper / what size do you guys print on? Letter / Legal?

I may go over to staples on the weekend and get a bunch printed

 

I used thick cardstock. Also scoring the fold lines helps with crisp edges. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's cool that people are using these I hope to find out what size of paper so I can go print them today

Edited by TrentL
wrong message

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎06 at 1:25 PM, Patteous said:

I used thick cardstock. Also scoring the fold lines helps with crisp edges. 

Did you use Letter / Legal / Something different? Going to go get some printed figured I'd do:

4 blue buildings
1 Can building
4 Modular prints

That way I can make a building 2 high and have some variety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrentL said:

Did you use Letter / Legal / Something different? Going to go get some printed figured I'd do:

4 blue buildings
1 Can building
4 Modular prints

That way I can make a building 2 high and have some variety

I used standard 8.5”x11”. My mom is a scrabooker so I used what she had laying around her house as I don’t have a printer of my own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TrentL said:

Did you use Letter / Legal / Something different? Going to go get some printed figured I'd do:

4 blue buildings
1 Can building
4 Modular prints

That way I can make a building 2 high and have some variety

Everything is setup for printing on 8.5x11 cardstock... Not that I would know...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For this and other paper/cardstock terrain (like SirWilli's excellent mini-hangars) I've taken all of them to a local print shop. There's no difficulties about fitting heavy stock through the printer, I don't have to worry about color-rich prints using up my ink, or anything like that. I take them the files, a day or two later I get my order for only a few dollars and I've supported a local business. Some print shops even have computer-controlled cutters for files which support such.

Another plus side is that print shops have experience with re-sizing images, so if you're needing that they should be able to help you get the results you're looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SFC Snuffy said:

For this and other paper/cardstock terrain (like SirWilli's excellent mini-hangars) I've taken all of them to a local print shop. There's no difficulties about fitting heavy stock through the printer, I don't have to worry about color-rich prints using up my ink, or anything like that. I take them the files, a day or two later I get my order for only a few dollars and I've supported a local business. Some print shops even have computer-controlled cutters for files which support such.

Another plus side is that print shops have experience with re-sizing images, so if you're needing that they should be able to help you get the results you're looking for.

I got lucky and my dad is a photographer so I’ve got access to a nice Canon printer that can print standard poster size. Maybe I’ll do a terrain price on paper that size.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Patteous said:

I got lucky and my dad is a photographer so I’ve got access to a nice Canon printer that can print standard poster size. Maybe I’ll do a terrain price on paper that size.....

...Make a playhouse for your cat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE!

Grassland Concrete Farmhouse

photo%20farmhouse.jpg

 

To go with the Tarkin Town shed.

Took me a while, as there was a bad piece of geometry in the model that kept corrupting the output files. Made the model two or three times before I finally figured it all out.  But, I finally did and here it is!

Made the dome using slightly more polygons than I usually go with to give it a softer curve. Also just a tip: Attach the Archway to the Base before mounting the dome and it's base. Just trust me.

 

Well, that's done. On to more architecture and perhaps a little aerospace engineering!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ghostofman said:

Made the dome using slightly more polygons than I usually go with to give it a softer curve. 

I like it - distinguishes it from the smoother domes of Tatooine style buildings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...