Ghostofman

GoM's Modeling and Terrain

I've never done any of this before what type of paper / what size do you guys print on? Letter / Legal?

I may go over to staples on the weekend and get a bunch printed

2 hours ago, TrentL said:

I've never done any of this before what type of paper / what size do you guys print on? Letter / Legal?

I may go over to staples on the weekend and get a bunch printed

I used thick cardstock. Also scoring the fold lines helps with crisp edges. 

It's cool that people are using these I hope to find out what size of paper so I can go print them today

Edited by TrentL
wrong message

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎06 at 1:25 PM, Patteous said:

I used thick cardstock. Also scoring the fold lines helps with crisp edges. 

Did you use Letter / Legal / Something different? Going to go get some printed figured I'd do:

4 blue buildings
1 Can building
4 Modular prints

That way I can make a building 2 high and have some variety

1 hour ago, TrentL said:

Did you use Letter / Legal / Something different? Going to go get some printed figured I'd do:

4 blue buildings
1 Can building
4 Modular prints

I used standard 8.5”x11”. My mom is a scrabooker so I used what she had laying around her house as I don’t have a printer of my own. 

8 hours ago, TrentL said:

4 blue buildings
1 Can building
4 Modular prints

Everything is setup for printing on 8.5x11 cardstock... Not that I would know...

For this and other paper/cardstock terrain (like SirWilli's excellent mini-hangars) I've taken all of them to a local print shop. There's no difficulties about fitting heavy stock through the printer, I don't have to worry about color-rich prints using up my ink, or anything like that. I take them the files, a day or two later I get my order for only a few dollars and I've supported a local business. Some print shops even have computer-controlled cutters for files which support such.

Another plus side is that print shops have experience with re-sizing images, so if you're needing that they should be able to help you get the results you're looking for.

1 minute ago, SFC Snuffy said:

For this and other paper/cardstock terrain (like SirWilli's excellent mini-hangars) I've taken all of them to a local print shop. There's no difficulties about fitting heavy stock through the printer, I don't have to worry about color-rich prints using up my ink, or anything like that. I take them the files, a day or two later I get my order for only a few dollars and I've supported a local business. Some print shops even have computer-controlled cutters for files which support such.

Another plus side is that print shops have experience with re-sizing images, so if you're needing that they should be able to help you get the results you're looking for.

I got lucky and my dad is a photographer so I’ve got access to a nice Canon printer that can print standard poster size. Maybe I’ll do a terrain price on paper that size.....

10 minutes ago, Patteous said:

I got lucky and my dad is a photographer so I’ve got access to a nice Canon printer that can print standard poster size. Maybe I’ll do a terrain price on paper that size.....

...Make a playhouse for your cat?

UPDATE!

Grassland Concrete Farmhouse

photo%20farmhouse.jpg

To go with the Tarkin Town shed.

Took me a while, as there was a bad piece of geometry in the model that kept corrupting the output files. Made the model two or three times before I finally figured it all out.  But, I finally did and here it is!

Made the dome using slightly more polygons than I usually go with to give it a softer curve. Also just a tip: Attach the Archway to the Base before mounting the dome and it's base. Just trust me.

Well, that's done. On to more architecture and perhaps a little aerospace engineering!

1 hour ago, Ghostofman said:

Made the dome using slightly more polygons than I usually go with to give it a softer curve. 

I like it - distinguishes it from the smoother domes of Tatooine style buildings.