Cloaker

$30 and $40 for new SMALL BASE Ships. Pure exploitation hath begun

On 9.9.2017 at 1:37 AM, Squark said:

The Bomber is a large base. But yea, while the Silencer probably wouldn't fit in the "medium" expansion, we should definately be upset about the $30 price point.

The silencer does not look like it has more plastic than a star viper or even a defender. 

Same for the resistance bomber, which I actually like as a design, but it does look significantly smaller than most other large base ships like the Falcon. Most certainly does use less plastic. So I am puzzled about those prices. I guess I will pick them up on the inevitable sales. Which means 10€ for the Bomber and 5€ for the Silencer :P

Edit: btw the shadowcaster had the same issue, picked two up for 10€ each some time later, because I simply had no urgent need for them and was not pleased with the price. The ghost at the other hand, fair price imo, big ship, small extra ship included, lots of cards, gladly paying 10€ extra for it. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

They probably did it because the Silencer is too big for a $20 blister. It still comes with 13 upgrade cards, doubling everything, way more than the 5 or 8 you normally get. I'm fine with it.

I don't have a problem with them playing around with ship sizes in expansions so long as I'm getting good value for my money. Also, this sort of complaining is probably why the U-wing is a large ship against logic. Because, what is the moral problem with paying $30 for a small ship?

Yeah, the TIE silencer should be $20, like the K-Wing, Punisher, ARC, etc. 

The Bomber should be $30, like all the other large based ships that didn't also come with a small based bonus ship (i.e.: everything except the Ghost). 

I'm baffled. I don't know what FFG is thinking. Hopefully it's an error. 

7 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

The silencer does not look like it has more plastic than a star viper or even a defender. 

Same for the resistance bomber, which I actually like as a design, but it does look significantly smaller than the cost, more in line other large base ships like the Falcon. Most certainly does use less plastic. So I am puzzled about those prices. I guess I will pick them up on the inevitable sales. Which means 10€ for the Bomber and 5€ for the Silencer :P

The Bomber does puzzle me; It doesn't look decimator/Yv-666/Ghost big. The silencer, by my eye at least, looks like its just short of the u-wing's forklift mode, which wouldn't fit in the $20 blister. I don't see why FFG absolutely had to charge $30 for it, though.

Regarding the U-wing as a small ship: Put that thing over a small base. Wings forward it'd be forklifting ships almost one range increment away, and with the wings spread it'd be impossible to fly anything behind it.

5 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Yeah, the TIE silencer should be $20, like the K-Wing, Punisher, ARC, etc. 

The Bomber should be $30, like all the other large based ships that didn't also come with a small based bonus ship (i.e.: everything except the Ghost). 

I'm baffled. I don't know what FFG is thinking. Hopefully it's an error. 

The shadowcaster is actually overpriced as well. They charge literally the same for the shadowcaster as they do for a T-70 and the new falcon in the heroes of the resistance pack. 

1 minute ago, SEApocalypse said:

The shadowcaster is actually overpriced as well. They charge literally the same for the shadowcaster as they do for a T-70 and the new falcon in the heroes of the resistance pack. 

The Yv-666 and decimator are also $40 ships. Heroes of the Resistance might be a loss leader like the core set and original falcon, though.

1 minute ago, Squark said:

The Yv-666 and decimator are also $40 ships. Heroes of the Resistance might be a loss leader like the core set and original falcon, though.

Now the YV-666 is another of the really big large ships. No issues there, it not even in scale, just that they did not need to go epic with it. And the decimator $40? Never seen for this, always just 30€ like all the other large ships. Maybe it was priced differently in the staats, maybe my memory if off with the decimator, get mine as well in a sale for 10€. *shrougs* I would certainly complain less about the YT-49 than the lancer still.

22 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

Same for the resistance bomber, which I actually like as a design, but it does look significantly smaller than most other large base ships like the Falcon. Most certainly does use less plastic. So I am puzzled about those prices. I guess I will pick them up on the inevitable sales. Which means 10€ for the Bomber and 5€ for the Silencer :P

Edit: btw the shadowcaster had the same issue, picked two up to 10€ later, because I simply had no urgent need for them and was not pleased with the price. The ghost at the other hand, fair price imo, big ship, small extra ship included, lots of cards, gladly paying 10€ extra for it. 

Looks to me like it's basically the size of the u-wing or the ig-200, both of which are $30 ships, and as pointed out, comes with a large-ships number of upgrade cards instead of a small-ship number.  

3 minutes ago, VanderLegion said:

Looks to me like it's basically the size of the u-wing or the ig-200, both of which are $30 ships, and as pointed out, comes with a large-ships number of upgrade cards instead of a small-ship number.  

If that is that case, I will take back most of my complains. 
The card printing BTW is irrelevant for the price. The development of the cards and play testing is something to consider in the production costs. 

Now neither helps with the value proposition which is not directly linked to the production costs. Most people don't like paying extra for cards,  most seem mainly consider the value of the model, because that is what you keep long after you stopped playing the game. 

Just now, Dengar5 said:

Pure exploitation started long ago with epic ships.

Palpatine.

There are literally thousands of people who paid $100 dollars for a single upgrade card. There are literally thousands of Raider ship models in peoples closets that will never be used.

I have one of those, but I actually get enough value out of it … the model is gorgeous. I literally bought all the epics for the model, never planned to use them. Did not care about the cards either, as those are plentiful on ebay for cheaper. 

BvWvI9r.jpg

42 minutes ago, DekoPuma said:

That makes no sense at all. They had total control when there were more distributors.

one distributor is technically a monopoly, so no, they had less control with multiple distributors. price per a small base fighter online increased 3 dollars when they switched

AM I allowed to point out wave 8 was close to 200 bucks and this is much cheaper. The packs come with a ton of dup cards and I dont think you can fit more then 1 in a 106 game.....

Wave 8 - Ghost 50 /Jump 30 /Core set 40 / Inq 15 / Mist 20 / T-70 15 / Tie FO 15.

wave 12 - Tie S 30 / Bomb 40/ Shut 15 / Scum 20/ Reb 15. 

Edited by Cubanboy

31 minutes ago, Dengar5 said:

Pure exploitation started long ago with epic ships.

Palpatine.

There are literally thousands of people who paid $100 dollars for a single upgrade card. There are literally thousands of Raider ship models in peoples closets that will never be used.

I got my raider on sale at barns and nobles for 47 dollars. I sold three sets Ad Targ/Tie Ad title for 45. Later I sold palp for 35 and traded a K-wing for him Back. In Short Deals are out there and The Raider is by far the coolest thing ever. When you compare what the cost of GW would charge for a ship that size unpainted this is still a steal.

PS  this is a rip off ..... https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Millennium-Falcon-75192

Edited by Cubanboy