HolySorcerer

TIE Silencer and Rebel B/sf-17 preview up

2 minutes ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

Genuinely, we now need power creep to keep ships and whole factions relevant. It's be nice to no have to use Munitions in the Imperial faction..

The Silencer had better have some serious tricks in the rest of the Ex pac or we're as a faction still relying on Missiles and the Gunboat. Sad. 

IDK man, I don't think the Gunboat is the ordnance platform you're looking for

Statwise, the bomber is superior. Gunboat doesn't do anything different it mods to ordnance, it just gets reload which only improves long-term damage output where ordnance is generally busted because of burst damage

It's a finesse ship, not something broken because of mods or price

Unless linked batteries give you HLC rerolls in which case form up a four dice posse and have a blast 

2 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

IDK man, I don't think the Gunboat is the ordnance platform you're looking for

Statwise, the bomber is superior. Gunboat doesn't do anything different it mods to ordnance, it just gets reload which only improves long-term damage output where ordnance is generally busted because of burst damage

It's a finesse ship, not something broken because of mods or price

Unless linked batteries give you HLC rerolls in which case form up a four dice posse and have a blast 

Yeah, I don't think the boat will do it either. Costed right but it won't be able to avoid **** and it will be dead before it can reload.. Imps continue their run at the bottom of the wheel. 

But the gunboat is our only hope.. this ****** thing won't see play at that price (points and $). 

Edited by Rinzler in a Tie

11 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

Don't see anything stopping you from launching with genius

That's quite an alpha if you throw a missile in the mix 

To be fair, we have no idea what "launch" mechanics are, there may be some intrinsic restriction.  Not that I'm expecting it, but I don't really think it's worse than normal Nym anyway.  It requires prediction instead of reaction, so you know you you won't see it all that often.  

7 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

One of the rest of the ship's 3 crew?
One of the rest of the ship's 3 crew?
One of the rest of the ship's 4 crew?

The point is, like the Y-Wing, the TIE/sf is a 2-seater.  1 pilot, one turret gunner.  All those ships you mentioned have pilots, gunners, and "other" crewmen.  The Crew upgrades are the "others" not the gunners.

I would agree with you except, by all accounts, the resistance bomber has at least 6 crew.   

Also, as to the y-wing, the only canon two seater y-wing was the bubble turret one from the Clone Wars.   

As to the TIE/sf not having a crew slot, I think it is a missed opportunity, adding in some more versatility to that ship.  After all, the TIE Phantom has two seats from its original legends appearance, so by the above reasoning, the crew slot should not be there as the other seat can be a gunner/cloaking operator/necessary function.   But, the crew slot is for versatility.

1 hour ago, Stay On The Leader said:

Kylo... you're paying Poe/Corran points for a ship with a far worse pilot ability and, critically, no regen.

By comparison to QD and Fenn I think he's under the curve.  By comparison to a non-Regen Poe I think he's arguably about right (PS9 Poe + BB8 = Kylos cost and adds the barrel roll), although with a worse pilot ability and none of the pre-move shenanigans available.

He's playable, but definitely a few points too much.  If the title had been free...

I think the QD/Fenn comparison is apples to oranges.  He's definitely worse in the early game than those ships because their output is so high.  Kylo is definitiely not a damage spike ship, he's a DOT ship.  

Edited by Biophysical

11 hours ago, Squark said:

I think he means it is more interesting in the sense that it is not Kylo's ability again.

11 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

What does the lower PS ability say??? How can you see that???

Nope. Look at the obscured card and then compare with the wording an spacing on Trick shot. It is a word for word match with the exception of it adding two Attack dice instead of 1. It's possible it might get extra greens if defending against an obstructed attack, but I don't think the wording were seeing supports that.

It also synergises with what a lot of people are saying the EPT "Debris [something]" does. In that it's an Action that gives you Evade tokens for each [something, almost certainly obstacles] within range 1 of you, to a maximum of [whatever. 3 or 2 most likely.]

Obstacles seems like it makes the most sense, since if it was friendlies and not small ship only then Major Stridan would be way too powerful with it. Large base ships would also be way too tanky since their larger bases would be more easily able to get maximum Evade tokens. Also you don't want to give survivability options to the Jumpers.

If correct (and again, whilst I'm fairly sure on both of these, like 90% sure, I could still be wrong) then I could see them synergising with each other quite well consider this: Test Pilot 849-1138 parks himself behind an asteroid, takes on board 2 evade tokens and rolls 5 Attack Dice and attacks back to him have to get through Autothrusters, 4 Green Dice, an Evade Token and the EMERGENCY REROLL BUTTON.

I can see that EPT working in various other ways as well, for instance, 2x Green Squadrons with it and Juke acting as wingman for a Swarm Leader using heavier hitter. Or this on Youngster, paired up with a pair of Crack Blacks and again Swarm Leader, this time on Quickdraw, who might be able to get a pair of 5AD attacks on something, complete with FireCon. 

It's also a good way of getting Evade tokens on small ships that don't normally have Evade options. Of which there is quite a long list, B-Wings, X-Wings, Starvipers, Y-Wi... oh. Well obviously Small Ships that have EPT access. So the K-Wing is out.

Again, this is still nothing more than calculated speculation. But I'm pretty confidant.

9 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Thank you. So frustrating that this is even a point, let alone such a frequently made one.

We couldn't suspend some disbelief here, no? Maybe a /SF gunner is way more occupied than one in an ARC due to whatever support system that fit into one but not the other ship?

There are so many possible explanations, but nope. Let's choose to be angry over the game-mechanical interpretation of a scifi machine.

Not to mention the constant mantra of gameplay >> fluff.  Crew slots, whether they can be justified based on lore or no, may not be balanced on the chassis for gameplay.

Edited by Darth Meanie

4 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

No to mention the constant mantra of gameplay >> fluff.  Crew slots, where they can be justified based on lore or no, may not be balanced on the chassis for gameplay.

Also, the ARC has three seats.

26 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

No to mention the constant mantra of gameplay >> fluff.  Crew slots, where they can be justified based on lore or no, may not be balanced on the chassis for gameplay.

But if gameplay is greater than fluff, why bother playing a Star Wars game?   My consternation with this issue is that lately FFG have not been getting access to the fluff, and thus, releasing ships that, while physically resembling said ship, they don't have features that other media says they do.

So, the question stands, why play this game if not for the lore?  If FFG is going to just make up ships that don't resemble the media fluff, why not just make their own version?

Because the Star Wars fluff sells.

1 minute ago, Kdubb said:

If the silencer had 6 green turns, would it be busted, or priced well?

I'd say well priced. I'd actually prefer more odd green that we don't normally get over a white kturn/sloop/troll because those things can too easily break the game. In theory with Mk2 engines, you could have a dial that was effectively either Green or Red with no whites at all, which would be interesting.

But would you ever take anything but Autothrusters when you have the chance? Probably not. At that price tag however it would have to have a bonkers dial, and honestly with the meta in the place that it is, I'm not sure even that would be enough.

1 hour ago, Biophysical said:

I think the QD/Fenn comparison is apples to oranges.  He's definitely worse in the early game than those ships because their output is so high.  Kylo is definitiely not a damage spike ship, he's a DOT ship.  

Agreed, which is another black mark against him.

8 minutes ago, Mward1984 said:

I'd say well priced. I'd actually prefer more odd green that we don't normally get over a white kturn/sloop/troll because those things can too easily break the game. In theory with Mk2 engines, you could have a dial that was effectively either Green or Red with no whites at all, which would be interesting.

But would you ever take anything but Autothrusters when you have the chance? Probably not.

Which is a problem with autothrusters, not the Silencer. The silencer, just like every 3 agility booster, has to pay the price. 

FFG deciding they wanted to make a universal auto include upgrade for 3 agility boosting ships instead of just changing how turrets worked is turning out to be one of their biggest mistakes. Now, turrets are ruling the game anyways, and bombs, another terror to low health aces, have no capability to be countered because- uhoh! That mod slot is already filled by the auto include upgrade to help against turrets that are still everywhere! Have fun choosing between the "this helps deal with bombs!" Mod and autothrusters when it is inevitably released to "help".

(note this isn't directed at you @Mward1984 I just needed to rant about how upset the design decision that is autothrusters makes me lol.)

Edited by Kdubb

1 minute ago, Kdubb said:

Which is a problem with autothrusters, not the Silencer. The silencer, just like every 3 agility booster, has to pay the price. 

FFG deciding they wanted to make a universal auto include upgrade for 3 agility boosting ships instead of just changing how turrets worked is turning out to be one of their biggest mistakes. Now, turrets are ruling the game anyways, and bombs, another terror to low health aces, have no capability to be countered because- uhoh! That mod slot is already filled by the auto include upgrade to help against turrets that are still everywhere! Have fun choosing between the "this helps deal with bombs!" Mod and autothrusters when it is inevitably released to "help".

I'd probably just errata Evade tokens to work against sources of damage where you don't get to roll defence dice. Like Autoturrets, Bombs, maybe Asteroids but that wouldn't come up that often since you resolve that before the action step. That sort of thing.

You'd have to make sure the wording was robust enough not to break weapons which discard all results and then do a point of damage + Ion/Stress though.

And it's not like it's making Evade tokens overly powerful, I mean, if you can strip an Evade token clean off a TIE with a bomb before any shooting starts, that's not the worst trade off in the world.

9 hours ago, Thormind said:

It is fragile when you consider the ship cost 35 pts and has average offense. Go read all the comments about how Nathan was courageous to fly Corran in the current meta. Green dices means almost nothing now... The new rebel bomber will be able to do up to 3 hit plus 1 crit per turn with no way to defend from it.  Nym can do up to 4 (or 5 for Rebels with Sabine)  unblockable dmg per turn... And those low ps getting a first shot does matter when we are talking about cruise or harppoon missiles and plasma torp... Have you played in any kind of high lvl tournement recently? Arc dodging is really not what it used to be...

3 hours ago, Cerve said:

Will some one run that freaking ADVANCED SENSORS then? Imps got an Ace who should build it in.

With PTL.

With Primed Thrusters if necessary.

And no needs of FCS because the title helps you anyway with rerolls. 

I think it is time.

SNLmpJvh.jpg

Advanced Sensors, PTL, AT, title and the tech upgrade of your choice, depending on the dial.

Early game you don't wanna hit him (and it's also really hard to hit him), late game he is a nightmare. Do you dare to attack this ship, maybe wasting your attack in the process, only to severely hamper yourself in case of a successful hit?

And say what you will, especially the ships in today's meta don't like eating 3 dice attacks.

I also suspect a nerf to bombs, especially after this doubling down on them.

16 hours ago, Freeptop said:

The card under Ordinance Silos appears to be a title that encourages formation flying.

Cros<...>
Form<...>

B/SF-17 only...

When de...
is at least...
Resistance...
1-2 of the...
add...

I'm guessing something like "Crossbone Formation" for the name.

Yes, this was one of the bits that really got my attention with this preview.

The first half is easier to fill in the blanks, say:

B/SF-17 only. Title.

When defending, if there
is at least 1 other
Resistance ship in range

but I don't like the "1-2 of the" part that follows, as it  might suggest "of the attacker"? So both ships would have to be in R2 of the attacker for following "add X result to your roll" to work?

Really intrigued by "Def... Pl..." too. Looks like "B/SF-17 only. Limited." but the only clues are "when" and something something "destroyed", which is way to little to interpret.

23 minutes ago, RufusDaMan said:

Early game you don't wanna hit him (and it's also really hard to hit him), late game he is a nightmare. Do you dare to attack this ship, maybe wasting your attack in the process, only to severely hamper yourself in case of a successful hit?

Don't forget Kylo is going to need a method of successfully delivering a critical hit in order to capitalise on ISYTDS...

5 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Don't forget Kylo is going to need a method of successfully delivering a critical hit in order to capitalise on ISYTDS...

Hey, you've got a little over half a squad to work with.  There's also that new tech, which would be a little hilarious if it generated crit.  

6 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Granddaddy Vader and Lt. Colzet fit snuggly next to Kylo. Both deal crits easily, one keeps them flipping up, if need be.

4 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

Kylo Ren (TIE Silencer) (35)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Pattern Analyzer (2)
Autothrusters (2)
First Order Vanguard (2)

Commander Kenkirk (44)
Trick Shot (0)
Emperor Palpatine (8)
Ysanne Isard (4)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Who needs RAC when palp can generate a crit.

I don't feel comfortable running a single action Interceptor. He'll blow up pretty quickly. And that Deci lacks Engine. Instead I'd drop down to Oicunn for the extra pts.

The TIE Silencers dial will make it worth the cost (I hope). Plus there's a lot of unspoiled cards. Unless FFG is mental this ship needs to be a strong option for Imperial / First Order squads in a competitive way, not a for fun way. We'll have to wait and see...