Sign in to follow this  
Mu0n729

X-Wing Vassal League season 5 LAUNCHED (signups till Sept 20th)

The X-Wing Vassal League is now upon us all!

Signups have started today and will last until September 20th 2017. League play will commence a few days after the end of the signup phase.

There are many exciting improvements over the last seasons related to sponsors, league achievements, how you as a player interfaces with league play, etc.

The information is now concentrated over a single hub website at http://xwvassal.info which is also now the host website for the guide to installing and playing with the X-Wing Vassal module. Challonge will be replaced with new features inside List Juggler to deal with commited squads during league play. Reddit isn't used for communication anymore and is replaced with a slack. Go on over the website linked above and read about all the details.

See you there!

Warning: I just slogged through the steps required to  make my domain name (xwvassal.info) DISPLAY properly when the webpage is loaded, instead of that github.io address.

There may be an untold delays (minutes to hours) for your internet provider to get the new address.

I'm one of those people...I can't see my own site! But many people have reported that it works on their end.

So, if you suffer, I'm right there with you.

I'm interested, but reluctant to sign up because my schedule is very chaotic (military + master's degree.) What's the policy if you miss a game and how flexible is the schedule? I tried to do an online tournament before and it did not go well, to say the least :(

46 minutes ago, rabid1903 said:

I'm interested, but reluctant to sign up because my schedule is very chaotic (military + master's degree.) What's the policy if you miss a game and how flexible is the schedule? I tried to do an online tournament before and it did not go well, to say the least :(

You would have to make time for 1 game a week approximately. The nice thing about league is you pick a time slot and are grouped with other players who also are available during that time slot. 

The policy as far as missing games is that, well, you lose. But it's not much fun for the rest of the players because they have one less player to play than expected. 

Based on that, If you still aren't sure if it is manageable, pick up games are almost always readily available on vassal even without league play.

Edited by Kdubb

Sorry just needed to be more clear about my statement that you play a game a week. That is the average, but not the requirement. Here is the official statement on the allotted time to play games-

What is the time commitment?

Players will play each of the other members of their division once during the season. This works out to 8 games in about ten weeks. You are free to play these games in whatever order and at whatever time you and your opponents find mutually convenient. This means that you could be gone for a week or two and still have no trouble keeping up on your games, freeing you from the one-game-per-week schedule of most online tournaments. You’ll be grouped with players who want to schedule games at the same time of day as you.

3 more days!

As always, be sure to keep an eye on our new league hub. Everything you need to know about the league can always be found at http://xwvassal.info/

• Sign Ups are closing on Wednesday, September 20th. Play will begin approximately a week after sign ups close. If you've already signed up, make sure to spread the word!

• I will be hosting a "How to Vassal" session after sign ups close, but before play begins. More info to come after Wednesday on the exact date and time, but it will be a chance for new players to see the basics of Vassal controls as well as basic vassal etiquette. The session will be recorded as well, in case you aren't able to hop on live.

• We are working on a list of unanswered questions from the most recent releases and previews. Any interactions that haven't been FAQ'd will have a ruling that will be in place for the league by the time play starts (i.e. Trajectory Simulator). What other rules are out there that you want to see addressed?

1 hour ago, MysteriousRacerX said:

3 more days!

As always, be sure to keep an eye on our new league hub. Everything you need to know about the league can always be found at http://xwvassal.info/

• Sign Ups are closing on Wednesday, September 20th. Play will begin approximately a week after sign ups close. If you've already signed up, make sure to spread the word!

• I will be hosting a "How to Vassal" session after sign ups close, but before play begins. More info to come after Wednesday on the exact date and time, but it will be a chance for new players to see the basics of Vassal controls as well as basic vassal etiquette. The session will be recorded as well, in case you aren't able to hop on live.

• We are working on a list of unanswered questions from the most recent releases and previews. Any interactions that haven't been FAQ'd will have a ruling that will be in place for the league by the time play starts (i.e. Trajectory Simulator). What other rules are out there that you want to see addressed?

Minefield mapper needs to be addressed - if you can use extra munitions to drop multiple of same bomb

Pulse Ray Shield - if you can ion yourself if you have your shield and therefore have no shield to recover

All I can think of at the moment

What happens if Thweek faces another Thweek (as both can lay a condition that affects "Thweek" i.e. both of them)

If a ship with deadeye is facing biggs with a weapon that normally could bypass biggs by virtue of being a target lock weapon, is the person with deadeye forced to fire at biggs

Snap Wexley + Pattern Analyzer does he get the free boost?

There's a collection in this thread here:

5 hours ago, The Inquisitor said:

What happens if Thweek faces another Thweek (as both can lay a condition that affects "Thweek" i.e. both of them)

Whichever has initiative gets nothing if he targets the other thweek (since his ability won't let you apply conditions from the target).  The question is for the second one, whether copying the first thweek would give him the ability he copied from another ship or not.

If a ship with deadeye is facing biggs with a weapon that normally could bypass biggs by virtue of being a target lock weapon, is the person with deadeye forced to fire at biggs

This one isn't a question.  If you have deadeye and a focus, you're able to shoot biggs, so you have to.  You could still get around biggs by target locking instead of focusing.

Snap Wexley + Pattern Analyzer does he get the free boost?

Yes.  Pattern analyzer moves the stress to after perform action.  Execute maneuver ends, you get the boost, then you get perform action, then you get stress.

Pulse Ray- based on other interactions already in the FAQ, you may use PRS to ion yourself even if you cannot recover a shield.  Look up Garven Dreis in the FAQ.  "Garven may still use his ability after using R5-P9 even if he cannot recover any shields."  I guess it could be ruled otherwise but would be exceedingly odd.

7 hours ago, VanderLegion said:

1. Whichever has initiative gets nothing if he targets the other thweek (since his ability won't let you apply conditions from the target).  The question is for the second one, whether copying the first thweek would give him the ability he copied from another ship or not.

2. This one isn't a question.  If you have deadeye and a focus, you're able to shoot biggs, so you have to.  You could still get around biggs by target locking instead of focusing.

3. Yes.  Pattern analyzer moves the stress to after perform action.  Execute maneuver ends, you get the boost, then you get perform action, then you get stress.

1. Right. But the question is broader. For example, I use Thweek to copy your Fen Rau's ability and you use Thweek to copy my Serissu's pilot skill. Does this now mean both Thweeks have Fenn Rau's ability and PS8? There's nothing in the condition that limits it to your Thweek.

2. Yeah my bad. That's what I get from going off memory. The question was a bit more specific, I'll just link to the thread in question.

3. Is this a ruling for the league? There's quite some contention on this.

2 hours ago, The Inquisitor said:

1. Right. But the question is broader. For example, I use Thweek to copy your Fen Rau's ability and you use Thweek to copy my Serissu's pilot skill. Does this now mean both Thweeks have Fenn Rau's ability and PS8? There's nothing in the condition that limits it to your Thweek.

2. Yeah my bad. That's what I get from going off memory. The question was a bit more specific, I'll just link to the thread in question.

3. Is this a ruling for the league? There's quite some contention on this.

1.  If you're flying a ghost and you undock your phantom, but your opponent has a docked phantom, do you get the extra turret shot at the end of the round?  The phantom title just says that while it's docked, the Ghost can do the extra stuff.  It says nothing bout the ghost it's specifically docked to, or YOUR ghost.  But no one tries to argue that your opponents docked phantom gives you any extra bonus.  It's the same thing for Thweek.  Your cards affect your stuff.  Your thweek's condition will only work for your own thweek.  Not your opponents.

2.  Ahh yah, if you have both focus and TL it gets iffier.  I THINK you could probably choose to not activate deadeye and use the TL to fire still, but that's a questionable enough one I'm happy to let the league admins decide on it :P.

3.  I've seen a few people try to argue for it extending the "Execute Maneuver" step to end after performing your action, but I've never seen a GOOD argument for it being the case.  Execute Maneuver ends after the clean up substep, which never moves.  It's a case of do what the card says, don't do what it doesn't say.  It says to move the check pilot stress step.  It doesn't say to move the cleanup step.  It doesn't say to make "Perform Action" part of the "Execute Maneuver" step.  It doesn't say extend the Execute Maneuver step to end after performing your action.  I'm not an admin for the league, so I can't speak for the actual ruling they'll make, but I'm fairly confident they'll rule the same way.