Sign in to follow this  
Celestial Lizards

Non-Fighter TIE Swarms

7 minutes ago, GILLIES291 said:

This is true it's a solid ship and the free systems slot definitely helps.

If I had the ships I would also like to try out three Siener Agressors with TLT and Jonus to help them get rerolls every shot. 

Saw Quad TLT Agressors a few weeks ago. It's a pretty solid list as is, and I'm not sure it needs Jonus.

Once, when the game was around wave 5 or so, a few people in my LGC had success with a 2x Black Sqadron + VI, 2x Sabers + VI and 1x Scimitar Bomber + some missiles. I feel with some obvious tinkering you could still get good results from a similar list. Replace the Interceptors with FO Ties or maybe Strikers. Obviously VI is replaced with Crack Shot. Replace the Bomber with something beefy?

So, firstly, here's how it'd look with FO's and Quickdraw in place of the Bomber

Omega Squadron Pilot — TIE/fo Fighter 17
Crack Shot 1
Ship Total: 18

Black Squadron Pilot — TIE Fighter 14
Crack Shot 1
Ship Total: 15

Omega Squadron Pilot — TIE/fo Fighter 17
Crack Shot 1
Ship Total: 18

Black Squadron Pilot — TIE Fighter 14
Crack Shot 1
Ship Total: 15

"Quickdraw" — TIE/sf Fighter 29
Adaptability 0
Fire-Control System 2
Lightweight Frame 2
Special Ops Training 0
Ship Total: 33

So you have a mini-swarm of 4 ships at PS4 all with Crackshot, the FO's have an Interceptors dial (if not their boost action, but without PTL that's not a problem) and Quickdraw is Quickdraw. You could use an X7 Crack-shot Mk2 Engine Ryad instead if you wanted.

Thinking on it, I feel that once you add the LWF to the Strikers they'd be too many points.

Also, I've been toying around with Omega Sq Pilot + Snap Shot + Sensor Cluster/Weapons Guidance flying with either 2 other generics or 1 beefy Imperial ship (I like Quickdraw or a Cruise Missile+Juke Vader). Have yet to put it on the table and it doesn't work on Squadron Benchmark yet, so I haven't really been able to test it out. The +Quickdraw list is definitely called DoubleTap. :)

2 hours ago, Celestial Lizards said:

Gozanti prices are falling.

TIE Fighters are dirt cheap.

Original Core Set? Still can't find one.

It's gotten much easier to get together good TIE Swarms. If you play in a meta like mine, where people try the unexpected and only bad/new players use bombs, swarms are deadly. 

But how effective are Interceptor, Aggressor, and Bomber swarms lately, and is it worth it to get into one or the other?

Strikers and interceptors work beautifully as loose swarms, not squadrons. Their fast, unpredictable movements along with swarm leader make a whirling cloud of death very quickly

5 hours ago, rafcpl6868 said:

Strikers and interceptors work beautifully as loose swarms, not squadrons. Their fast, unpredictable movements along with swarm leader make a whirling cloud of death very quickly

Exactly. Especially Low-Agi ships melt against five well-flown 3 red primaries. That's quite a challenge, but what about swarms isn't? 

I believe there are two great threats I witnessed on this forum on this very forum that popped up lately, the "Return of the Squints" and Parakitors' Striker Swarms Batreps.

As for Bombers, they allow for a lot of fun shenanigans, but I think that's more of a 2-man thing than a swarm mostly. Fun fill-up.

6 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

THERE IS HOPE!!! :lol: I'm laughing, I'm so happy to see this!

35 minutes ago, DampfGecko said:

Exactly. Especially Low-Agi ships melt against five well-flown 3 red primaries. That's quite a challenge, but what about swarms isn't? 

I believe there are two great threats I witnessed on this forum on this very forum that popped up lately, the "Return of the Squints" and Parakitors' Striker Swarms Batreps.

Yep, those 3 attack dice are murder to a lot of ships, and I think Striker 'swarms' have legs. I just am not quite good enough to make top tables, but no match has me thinking, "Whelp, good game. Let's see how not-bad I can lose." You always have a fighting chance with strikers.

Now I need to go look up this "Return of the Squints" that you speak of.

2 hours ago, Parakitor said:

THERE IS HOPE!!! :lol: I'm laughing, I'm so happy to see this!

Yep, those 3 attack dice are murder to a lot of ships, and I think Striker 'swarms' have legs. I just am not quite good enough to make top tables, but no match has me thinking, "Whelp, good game. Let's see how not-bad I can lose." You always have a fighting chance with strikers.

IT's hiding in the Batreps section.

11 hours ago, Celestial Lizards said:

Gozanti prices are falling.

TIE Fighters are dirt cheap.

Original Core Set? Still can't find one.

I only started playing like a year and a half ago, got the original core set right away.  It wasn't like two months ago that I had more than 2 imperial TIE fighters.  I never felt the need.  Then, prices fell, and I'm up to eight now.  I was buying the basic expansion with Howlrunner for the first time at my FLGS and told the folks there it was my first other than the core set.  One turned to me and said "How do you live?"

4 hours ago, DampfGecko said:

As for Bombers, they allow for a lot of fun shenanigans, but I think that's more of a 2-man thing than a swarm mostly. Fun fill-up.

Bombers and punishers are actually my favorite ships, but ooooh baby do I love fling literally anything with swarm leader upgrade. And those 3 attack swarms are scary effective if you can arcdoge for crap.

10 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Interceptors are another heavy swarmer I suspect has potential - yes, all right, fragile, but at range 3 they're scarily hard to touch for their cost; with nothing but a focus token to their name they're garuanteed 1 evade and average 3.

19 hours ago, Hrathen said:

TIE Interceptors are just about the worst ship to fly as generics.  Their repositioning ability is almost waste and they just die.

They don't use their repositioning within combat range, agreed, but a boost is surprisingly useful for 'strategic' manoeuvrability to control range/angles before you engage.

17 hours ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

It's definitely the 3-dice attack.. 
If Tie Fighters had 3-dice attacks they would still be viable. 

I find myself wondering how a snap shot swarm would do. If Crack Shot is a 'missile' analogue in the elite slot, then Snap Shot is a sort of 'cannon' analogue - whilst you can't have Juke/crack shot like an A-wing snap mob, you can field 6 snap shot TIE fighters, including Mauler Mithel, in a squad. That's a lot of arcs to avoid...

Edited by Magnus Grendel