Bhunter46

My forest moon of Endor

4 minutes ago, VAYASAN said:

Thanks ;]

Also, 

Thanks.

Last question, is it chord making the 'base' of the tree surface ridges or did you do all modelling clay?  Some crazy(but very natural looking ridges) in the tree surfaces.

Yes, I have string all he way up the trunks to make the ridges, but I was not happy with the thinkness of my string. So I inhansed the string ridges with the clay. And added more detail with the clay. And then after that I even went in with a glue gun to add more ridges and stuff. All before putting on the tissue layer. Oh yeah, when I glued the string on the mailing tubes, I didn't glue then in straight vertical lines. I wanted a more interesting looking tree, instead of a more realistic looking tree. ?

Have fun making your trees! 

Here is an update on where I'm at with my bunker. I still have lots of work to do on it, but I have a few questions for people with experience with terrain.

Should I put a base under it? I see people putting bases under their buildings. I'm just wondering what's better, a base or no base, and why.

I'm thinking of making a hill with the pink foam around my bunker. My second question is what's better for gameplay, a smooth hill like the FFG Endor demo table, or a stepped hill. I think the smooth hill looks better, but I worry a big mini like an AT-ST would fall over if you tried to stand it up on it.

ciuTCYW.jpg

My AT-ST just came in the mail, looking forward to working on it when I'm done with the bunker. ?

9uukZ54.jpg

Looking great! Personally I prefer bases on terrain, I think it makes them blend into the surrounding better, as you can have a bit of texture going up slightly onto the bottom of the walls, so it looks like it's been there a while, rather than just plonked onto a table. It also makes it more durable, so if you're planning on storing it or transporting it for gaming, I'd say a base will help it survive longer. As long as you can adequately match the base to your table, obviously!

The downside, however, is that you're limiting yourself to what set of terrain you use it with. If you put an earth and grass type base on it, to fit on your Endor terrain, it will look bizarre if you wanted to get a new Hoth terrain set up. The other thing to watch out for, probably not a downside per se, is that some basing material can warp when painting them. If you make it just a bit wider than the terrain (I'd say a base width, so ~30mm?) then it shouldn't be too prone to that if it's on a solid structure like your bunker.

As for the hill, you're spot on. Sloped looks better, stepped is more practical. There's really no right answer, it's which of those two are most important to you.

56 minutes ago, General Zodd said:

Looking great! Personally I prefer bases on terrain, I think it makes them blend into the surrounding better, as you can have a bit of texture going up slightly onto the bottom of the walls, so it looks like it's been there a while, rather than just plonked onto a table. It also makes it more durable, so if you're planning on storing it or transporting it for gaming, I'd say a base will help it survive longer. As long as you can adequately match the base to your table, obviously!

The downside, however, is that you're limiting yourself to what set of terrain you use it with. If you put an earth and grass type base on it, to fit on your Endor terrain, it will look bizarre if you wanted to get a new Hoth terrain set up. The other thing to watch out for, probably not a downside per se, is that some basing material can warp when painting them. If you make it just a bit wider than the terrain (I'd say a base width, so ~30mm?) then it shouldn't be too prone to that if it's on a solid structure like your bunker.

As for the hill, you're spot on. Sloped looks better, stepped is more practical. There's really no right answer, it's which of those two are most important to you.

Cool, thanks for your help! I'll have to give it some thought. ?

8 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

If it were my bunker, I'd keep it without a base, so I could place it it just about any setting.

If you're planning to do a hill for it to attach to, I think you've answered your own question on that end.

Your hill could have a slope on one side and steppes on the other.

Good idea ?

13 hours ago, Lord Ashram said:

Wow... fantastic moss work.  You definitely need a new groundcloth, now that your scenery is looking so nice!:)

Thanks! Yeah, I'd like to eventually buy a nice Forest Playmat. But I want to wait and see what FFG puts out for Legion first.

6 minutes ago, Beastsandbrews said:

Hey the terrain is looking excellent, one thing im interested to know is, what material are you using for your bases? Is it cardboard of mdf?

Thanks, my bases are wooden disks I found at Michaels, the arts and crafts store.

Looks brilliant, all the stuff you made looks superb but if I can offer some critique...imo a better Mat would make it look loads better too, imo would really set it off.

I concur with Vayasan.

It wouldn't be too difficult to do to the felt mat you're using right now either. Here's a technique I learned in college for scene painting that can be applied here:

Wad up a paper sack or even a plastic bag (the kind you get at the grocery store for fruits and vegetables) and lightly dip into a paint color of your choice (tans, grays or greens should be appropriate). Then blot it onto a scrap piece of material until the paint has mostly come off and isn't dripping off the bag. Basically it's like what you would to do a brush when dry brushing, but you're using a sack as your brush. Then apply it to your mat.

It should give you random, organic looking patterns. Use at least two different colors and layer them over each other.

If you don't trust yourself, try this technique on a scrap of cardboard or something. Also, you have two sides to that mat. You can use the "clean" side if you didn't like how it turned out.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, WillemTCG said:

Are you sure you never did this kind of stuff before ;)

Dang man it looks awesome!

Thanks,

Yes, I have never built terrain before and had no idea what I was doing when I started. But..... I was very heavy into fine arts when I was in school way back when, so that has deffenatly helped me. 

Plus, you get better with every piece of terrain you make. Every time I started a new piece of terrian, I pushed myself to take more time. Now when I look back at those little trees I made at the start, I feel the need to remake them. Of course I won't because I need a break from terrain building. ?

3 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

Looks brilliant, all the stuff you made looks superb but if I can offer some critique...imo a better Mat would make it look loads better too, imo would really set it off.

Thanks,

Yes, I agree with you. I would like to get one of those nice mousepad play mats one day, but I'm holding off on that for now. They're very expensive, and I've already spent a lot on this game. ?

8 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

I concur with Vayasan.

It wouldn't be too difficult to do to the felt mat you're using right now either. Here's a technique I learned in college for scene painting that can be applied here:

Wad up a paper sack or even a plastic bag (the kind you get at the grocery store for fruits and vegetables) and lightly dip into a paint color of your choice (tans, grays or greens should be appropriate). Then blot it onto a scrap piece of material until the paint has mostly come off and isn't dripping off the bag. Basically it's like what you would to do a brush when dry brushing, but you're using a sack as your brush. Then apply it to your mat.

It should give you random, organic looking patterns. Use at least two different colors and layer them over each other.

If you don't trust yourself, try this technique on a scrap of cardboard or something. Also, you have two sides to that mat. You can use the "clean" side if you didn't like how it turned out.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I was planning to put some paint on the green felt, I even bought the paint for it. But my laziness talked me out of it. ? But since I do still have 20 days before I have the game, Maybe I can give it a try. And like you say, if I end up not liking it, I can just flip it over. ???

1 hour ago, Bhunter46 said:

Thanks for the advice. I was planning to put some paint on the green felt, I even bought the paint for it. But my laziness talked me out of it. ? But since I do still have 20 days before I have the game, Maybe I can give it a try. And like you say, if I end up not liking it, I can just flip it over. ???

I have an Endor mat which looks loosely like yours, I had i on my old 4x4 wargame table which was very green like yours too(lighter though).  

When my 2x 3x3  matts arrived...i just absolutely completed the table made everthing look so much better imo.

1 hour ago, VAYASAN said:

I have an Endor mat which looks loosely like yours, I had i on my old 4x4 wargame table which was very green like yours too(lighter though).  

When my 2x 3x3  matts arrived...i just absolutely completed the table made everthing look so much better imo.

Nice! One day I'll get a nice play mat ?