Jump to content
Bhunter46

My forest moon of Endor

Recommended Posts

Hello, I just thought I'd share my attempt at making Endor terrain with you all. I've never done anything like this before. At first I thought I'd buy some pre made terrain, but after buying two things from gale force nine, I realized that would be way too expensive. So I went to Michaels and found some tree's on clearence, plus I went to a hobby shop to buy what I needed to make my own trees. Next I'll be building the big tree trunks. There are some good videos on YouTube showing how to make them.

here are some photos of what I've done so far.

aGXqD3g.jpg

eTaIvdJ.jpg

*UPDATE*

0Njqa1Q.jpg

**Update** March 1 2018

CuxueHW.jpg

***Update*** July 13th 2018

BISxTfh.jpg

Edited by Bhunter46

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoops, I haven't posted photos on here in a very long time. I forgot how to do it. I used to use Photobucket. Can someone tell how to do it? Thanks.

*figured it out! ?

Edited by Bhunter46

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work so far. The best resources are the videos on you tube.

Don't limit yourself to just shopping arts and craft stores and hobby shops. Take a stroll through a DIY home improvement store. It is like the Toys R Us of table top builders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, C3POFETT said:

Great work so far. The best resources are the videos on you tube.

Don't limit yourself to just shopping arts and craft stores and hobby shops. Take a stroll through a DIY home improvement store. It is like the Toys R Us of table top builders.

 

40 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

Pet shops too. Lots of aquarium items can be re-purposed or used as-is: gravel, plants and rock features, to name a few.

Thanks for the tips! I'll check them out. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrTRich said:

Sweet!

I need to learn the whole "flocking" thing. I made some "trash terrain" to use with Edge of the Empire (as a visual guide for myself and the players) and used the WotC minis.

Here is my AT-ST Station.

FB_IMG_1504790207011.jpg

FB_IMG_1504790218157.jpg

FB_IMG_1504790213258.jpg

FB_IMG_1504790221785.jpg

That looks pretty awesome!

i learned how to flock by asking the guy at the hobby shop I went to, and watching YouTube videos. ?

Edited by Bhunter46

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JBar said:

I love the look so far! Especially the rocky hill. How did you make that? Looks like it's mostly pink or blue foam. Did you just chip away at it?

No, when I first decided I was going to make an Endor map, I had no experience making or buying terrain. So the first thing I did was buy two terrain boxes from Gale force nine. But shortly after that I realized that it's way to pricy to buy pre made terrain. So I learned how to make my own trees from YouTube. If I could go back in time I wouldn't have bought the gale force nine trees, but I really like the large rocky hill.

DGLrjzM.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ABXY said:

One of these next?:

Bunker

 

Yeah, the Bunker is definitely on my to do list. But I think I'll leave it until last because I'm not sure how to make it yet.

The other terrain I can think of making are a big hollow log, some broken tree stumps, and a crashed AT-ST. I'm also thinking of adding some water, like a creek or something. But I'm not sure how something like that would work in the game, so I'll probably wait and see on that one.

If anyone can think of other cool ideas for Endor terrain, please share. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bhunter46 said:

Yeah, the Bunker is definitely on my to do list. But I think I'll leave it until last because I'm not sure how to make it yet. 

With some pink foam and thick cardboard, I'd imagine it be reasonably straight-forward... military fortifications usually have a stark utilitarian simplicity about them. 

Besides, flock and bushes can cover many imperfections... and, if at the end result still doesn't meet your expectations, apply copious battle damage and chalk it up as a trial run. 

:)

 

2 hours ago, Bhunter46 said:

The other terrain I can think of making are a big hollow log, some broken tree stumps, and a crashed AT-ST. I'm also thinking of adding some water, like a creek or something. But I'm not sure how something like that would work in the game, so I'll probably wait and see on that one.

That all sounds great - don't let ambiguity over the rules delay the creek, either there will be generic rules for hindering terrain or you can just treat it as open ground (just a shallow stream-bed... in the dry season! :D ). 

Even without rules, it'll help break up the uniformity of the table surface. 

 

2 hours ago, Bhunter46 said:

If anyone can think of other cool ideas for Endor terrain, please share. ?

How about this:

Landing Platform

Or googling images of Endor missions from Star Wars Battlefront. 

Comm's Relay, Fuel Depot and of course Ewok dwellings. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, ABXY said:

With some pink foam and thick cardboard, I'd imagine it be reasonably straight-forward... military fortifications usually have a stark utilitarian simplicity about them. 

Besides, flock and bushes can cover many imperfections... and, if at the end result still doesn't meet your expectations, apply copious battle damage and chalk it up as a trial run. 

:)

 

That all sounds great - don't let ambiguity over the rules delay the creek, either there will be generic rules for hindering terrain or you can just treat it as open ground (just a shallow stream-bed... in the dry season! :D ). 

Even without rules, it'll help break up the uniformity of the table surface. 

 

How about this:

Landing Platform

Or googling images of Endor missions from Star Wars Battlefront. 

Comm's Relay, Fuel Depot and of course Ewok dwellings. 

 

All good ideas! Thanks. And I'm sure battlefront is full of good ideas. I'll need to play that again. It's been awhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another updated on my forest moon of Endor. I managed to paint and flock my tree trunks this weekend. Earlier in the week I started some hollow logs as well. I think I might get started on my bunker next. There has been few good examples of bunkers posted here, I think I have an idea of how to do it.

QgZ3BVJ.jpg

jrzDIHZ.jpg

FSSW2xZ.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2017 at 0:56 AM, Bhunter46 said:

Here's another updated on my forest moon of Endor. I managed to paint and flock my tree trunks this weekend. Earlier in the week I started some hollow logs as well. I think I might get started on my bunker next. There has been few good examples of bunkers posted here, I think I have an idea of how to do it.

QgZ3BVJ.jpg

jrzDIHZ.jpg

FSSW2xZ.jpg

Moss looks great.

 

Mind sharing what the light/dark green 'moss' is?  Also what/where are the light green small plants from?

 

Great work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VAYASAN said:

Moss looks great.

 

Mind sharing what the light/dark green 'moss' is?  Also what/where are the light green small plants from?

 

Great work.

Thanks, this is what I used for the moss

d8E49wf.jpg

Here is what I used for the bushes and plants. The plants are from a cheap plastic plant I bought at a dollar store. I just pulled all the leaves off and put them in a bag.

SpHGQ3c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ;]

 

Also, 

19 hours ago, Bhunter46 said:

Thanks, this is what I used for the moss

d8E49wf.jpg

Here is what I used for the bushes and plants. The plants are from a cheap plastic plant I bought at a dollar store. I just pulled all the leaves off and put them in a bag.

SpHGQ3c.jpg

Thanks.

Last question, is it chord making the 'base' of the tree surface ridges or did you do all modelling clay?  Some crazy(but very natural looking ridges) in the tree surfaces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...