Vontoothskie

Apologies required from "FAQ" prophets

GenCon is well passed and the fabled FAQ that many claimed they had verified has not arrived as prophesized. many of you were aggressively rude and terrible to anyone who said it was fake. I think its time you apologized and admit you were duped or lying, that your top secret FFG files either didnt exist or were forged.  maybe now we can all get back to the fun of playing with plastic spaceships and pursue our universal secret passion of calling for jumpmaster nerfs

I very much doubt it was fake, but probably either not final or FFG decided to change it and push it back to make people more sceptical of leaks in general.

From what I've seen, the "fake-callers" insulting and laughing at the "belivers" were more common than the other way around. Heck, your post is actually an example of that in a sense. Aside from demanding apology for something so riddiculous, you're calling some people liars on a very unstable basis. You're attacking people who spend a good amount of their free time just running the (reddit) community for us, which, might I add, is a much better run place than this poor excuse of a forum.

Edited by Elavion

8 minutes ago, Elavion said:

I very much doubt it was fake, but probably either not final or FFG decided to change it and push it back to make people more sceptical of leaks in general.

From what I've seen, the "fake-callers" insulting and laughing at the "belivers" were more common than the other way around. Heck, your post is actually an example of that in a sense. Aside from demanding apology for something so riddiculous, you're calling some people liars on a very unstable basis. People who spend a good amount of their free time just running the (reddit) community for us, which, might I add, is a much better run place than this poor excuse of a forum.

i saw half a dozen people say they had first hand proof the FAQ was real, as it was worded in the leak. Those people were either duped by a hoax or perpetuated a hoax by falsely claiming supporting evidence. The former category are fine, they just got mislead. the later category are liars. Claiming to have seen a document you have not is lying. This board was swamped with people zealously going on about proof and verification which they never presented to the community.

I will repeat what I said initially: if the "leaked" FAQ is real i'll eat my words and apologize for calling foul... but if it is not then we have proof in text on this forum that several community members lied and they should apologize

If someone said they had hard evidence that the FAQ would hit post-Gencon, then yes, they lied (Or FFG revised the timetable after they said that). Most of what I've seen has only been people saying that they had sources that confirmed the leak was what the playtesters were currently playing with, which doesn't mean FFG has a definate time table (Which they probably wouldn't have shared with the playtesters even before the leak, in my opinion), nor does it mean those exact changes are set in stone, since they were being playtested.

Dude, what are you doing? If they are wrong, then ignore them and move on. If they are right (which there is some suggestive evidence), then there is nothing to get steamed over. Demanding an apology that is unneeded makes you look like a jack@$$. 

I asked you before about why you are so forceful about this before, but you didn't answer. So, I'll ask again. Why does this subject put such a bee in your bonnet? Is there something in this potential FAQ that's got your steam up, or maybe the idea that other people could know more about what's coming than the majority?

17 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

i saw half a dozen people say they had first hand proof the FAQ was real, as it was worded in the leak. Those people were either duped by a hoax or perpetuated a hoax by falsely claiming supporting evidence. The former category are fine, they just got mislead. the later category are liars. Claiming to have seen a document you have not is lying. This board was swamped with people zealously going on about proof and verification which they never presented to the community.

I will repeat what I said initially: if the "leaked" FAQ is real i'll eat my words and apologize for calling foul... but if it is not then we have proof in text on this forum that several community members lied and they should apologize

I hate to break it to you, but you will never get a proof of the leak being fake, unless you become an FFG employee. It's very much possible they changed things around after the leak, possibly even going as far as to completely scrap every proposed change and come up with alternatives.

Let me repeat: You are insulting some respected and dedicated members of the community on a riddiculous claim that because the FAQ hasn't dropped yet, the leak was a hoax.

Literally the only actual evidence we've had since then was the changed Advanced SLAM text in the W12 preview, and it actually validates the leak.

Edited by Elavion

45 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

Except for the fact that the Assault Gunboat includes an altered Advanced SLAM card...

1 of a dozen guesses partially right doesnt prove anything. we all know the dozen things that are likely to get nerfs/buffs, the question is how and when.  the only proof the leak was real would be if all or most of the changes were official

Edited by Vontoothskie

Just now, Vontoothskie said:

1 of a dozen guesses partially right doesnt prove anything. we all know the dozen things are likely to get nerfs/buffs, the question is how and when.  the only proof the leak was real would be if all or most of the changes were official

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Playtesting does not work like that.

9 minutes ago, enigmahfc said:

That's a lot of words to say, "I told you so", even though nothing's been proven of dis-proven yet.

Also, it doesn't ******* matter one way or the other, you goon.

it only matters for the few people who were literally lying to improve their credibility on this board. I think truth matters, and when someone is proven to be bull they should be made to feel silly about it. 

2 minutes ago, Squark said:

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Playtesting does not work like that.

I agree completely. thats why i immediately thought the leak was fake. if the information wasnt credible because it was in flux, then presenting it as a leak was a lie. you cant state information as factual and then say afterword "oh, but all aspects are subject to change, so im right even if it turns out im wrong". why leak the information at all then? it was a hoax based on educated guesses

9 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

I agree completely. thats why i immediately thought the leak was fake. if the information wasnt credible because it was in flux, then presenting it as a leak was a lie. you cant state information as factual and then say afterword "oh, but all aspects are subject to change, so im right even if it turns out im wrong". why leak the information at all then? it was a hoax based on educated guesses

The stated intent of the leak was to make those not in touch with the playtest community aware of potential changes that might affect how they practice for competitive events. Not knowing the leaker personally, I can't say for certain that was their real motivation, but it seems plausible.

As far as credibility goes... this is an internet message board where disclosure of identity is optional, and verification of that disclosure can be difficult. Making a big deal about anyone's credibility on these forums seems silly, to be honest.

Edited by Squark
Obsessing was too harsh a word

1 hour ago, Vontoothskie said:

GenCon is well passed and the fabled FAQ that many claimed they had verified has not arrived as prophesized. many of you were aggressively rude and terrible to anyone who said it was fake. I think its time you apologized and admit you were duped or lying, that your top secret FFG files either didnt exist or were forged.  maybe now we can all get back to the fun of playing with plastic spaceships and pursue our universal secret passion of calling for jumpmaster nerfs

You know the guy the local group doesn't really let know when they're playing and don't really have any interaction with when he's there... You probably don't because YOU are that guy...

You are just very rude and needlessly inflammatory. (edit: @Vontoothskie, not @howieloader)

The AdvancedSLAM nerf (one of 3!) was confirmed but also not yet published. You can repost this thread once this known AdSLAMnerf is released and the others are not.
Until then we have more reason to believe they were right than that they were wrong.

What if there was more than one version being tested, but by different groups? In that case the leaker neither lied nor got duped. He simply leaked correct testing information.

Edited by GreenDragoon

1 hour ago, Vontoothskie said:

You could get ahead of this by....not demanding apologies before you know you are right.

2 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

You're clearly overlooking the part that this FAQ is supposed to drop after Nationals, anyways. Which can be anytime after Nationals and before Regionals. It wasn't supposed to happen before/during GenCon/Nationals.

2 hours ago, MegaSilver said:

You're clearly overlooking the part that this FAQ is supposed to drop after Nationals, anyways. Which can be anytime after Nationals and before Regionals. It wasn't supposed to happen before/during GenCon/Nationals.

Yah, calling it proven wrong the first work-day after nationals ended is rich...

Did a FAQ update drop that didn't have the leaked changes?

No?

Then why are you posting this at all? As misguided as I believe your desire to prove a host of people wrong (who likely have little care about your view of them) is, at least wait until you have some evidence to wave in their face before making a post like this. Addressing a supposed "time table" (and on the first day of that time table being active) that was created out of thin air isn't that convincing.

And even if the changes ARENT included when the FAQ finally drops, that proves nothing and gives us no evidence of liars.