Sign in to follow this  
eagletsi111

Nym Meta: What a surprise? not!

6 minutes ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

But you're saying all ships at 45 points should be good - or as good - and that is wrong. So wrong. It's called imbalance and it's what's for dinner. 

No, I'm saying a small-based ship with limited survivability that costs nearly half your squad points when optimised should be a very effective ship.

Compare Nym to other successful similarly-costed small ship builds - Corran Horn, Miranda Doni, Poe, maybe Whisper.  I'd argue that Nym is on par with them at best, maybe weaker than Miranda.

6 hours ago, eagletsi111 said:

However, what did I get in return for trying to post logic,  12 pages of people saying your and idiot Nym is easy to kill,  he's such a weak ship.    Well lots of results have rolled in now. 

Ironically my TIE-Swarm did kill Nymm literally in one turn yesterday. It was great fun.  ^_^

Nym IS easy to kill, 10 HP with 1 Agi is reasonable quick to kill, but you need either to catch him off guard, which is super hard thanks to PS10 and advanced sensors + boost/barrel roll or you need to out PS him. Hello Mr. Vader, Hello Mr Quickdraw, etc 

Now whoever said that a bomber with the option to drop before or after movement with a TLT, Advanced Sensors, a native barrel roll and PS10 would be weak … was a really silly person. 

6 hours ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

Have you played him, though? My god is it fun.. Broken, but fun. 

5 hours ago, Holmelund said:

For the guy playing him, for the other guy, not so much.

I like flying against Nym. It's a fun challenge. And when you do shoot him, he actually takes damage. (unlike pre-nerf X7 defenders)

US Nationals 2017 top16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNb_Yy13bYM

This match between generic ships and Nym & Miranda was superb. Great flying on both sides. Clayton was ahead and had the win but he made several key mistakes. People say flying is dead in this meta, but I have no idea what they're talking about. This match shows otherwise in my opinion.

Jap, seen that one. 

Imo flying is more important than ever, a PS 10 with single-reposition is a lot easier to catch than a PS8 advanced sensor double-reposition ace imho. Now the double tapping with a bomb + turret is disgusting damage from Nymm and with his 10 HP he clearly can deal with getting caught out of position a few times, at least against low damage lists. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

No.   I haven't played him.     I cannot bring myself to do it.     I'm old fashioned I like to work for my wins.      Yes the other night I flew Luke, Wedge and Biggs, versus Dengar and Nym (Talk about a challenge).   I flew my **** off and got lucky on a few dengar crits which blinded him.    I was able to kill Dengar, but in the end Nym with the AC, AT and bombs was too much for me.    If I would have gotten half points for Nym I could have won, but I had to try and take him out and with his PS and bombs every turn It's not easy to do.      This is why they need to make it half points for small ships with 9 or more shield and Hull.        I know it hurts my beloved Punisher, but it's worth it.

The one other thing I find interesting.   In the Cannon Nym actually bombs himself on several occasions because of the bomblet generater but in the game he is totally immune.   not sure how they came up with that one.   Sound to me like the dev designed genius and said no one uses it :(     I'm going to make a ship which ignore the cannon and can use the card all the time without penalty, that will show'em.    They should have allowed him a roll to dodge his own bombs.    Also they should have made it a dual card, so you could only use it every other turn.   just saying.

Edited by eagletsi111

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

No, I'm saying a small-based ship with limited survivability that costs nearly half your squad points when optimised should be a very effective ship.

Compare Nym to other successful similarly-costed small ship builds - Corran Horn, Miranda Doni, Poe, maybe Whisper.  I'd argue that Nym is on par with them at best, maybe weaker than Miranda.

Other "successful" similar ships? I'm not mincing words.. And we're saying the same thing: better ships.  

Call it whatever you want, but if all ships were created equal there would be no competitive meta, regardless of points spent on a per ship. 

5 minutes ago, Rinzler in a Tie said:

Other "successful" similar ships? I'm not mincing words.. And we're saying the same thing: better ships.  

Call it whatever you want, but if all ships were created equal there would be no competitive meta, regardless of points spent on a per ship. 

If all ships were equal (equal = very similar) it would be a very boring game and would've died before it's first birthday.

8 hours ago, Holmelund said:

For the guy playing him, for the other guy, not so much.

What, there are people not playing him?

In all seriousness.  I saw my first mirror match Nym on Nym in casual play.  Both scum too.

Edited by Hrathen

9 hours ago, eagletsi111 said:

Had to chime in here.   If you all remember I posted when Nym first came out.   About how OP he truly was with actual stats and reasons why.

However, what did I get in return for trying to post logic,  12 pages of people saying your and idiot Nym is easy to kill,  he's such a weak ship.    Well lots of results have rolled in now. 

Ask Paul Heaver and Nathan Ide (SP) how much Nym Sucks,  Not to mention nearly the entire top 10 at Nationals and top 10 at Genecon.    Countless other Tournaments too.

I guess Nym just sucks and was NOT poorly designed with Major Power Creep and is not OP.   That is why everyone is playing him because they see that now.

I rest my case.

No-one said he wasn't strong. We just explained why he isn't OP, and why hitting the panic button was premature. I note in your later comment on a game against a Nym-Dengar list, it was Dengar giving you the most trouble and drawing all the heat, allowing Nym to finish strong. Come on mate, it's ONE green dice with stuff all damage mitigation...

Ask Paul Heaver how much Z-95's sucked at the time. A great player can make almost anything work. If you'd said some random with Nym beat out the top players (without Nym) that might make more headway.

Image result for rest my case funny

I am perplexed that people are still loseing to nym.

Once you realise what he can do you can just kill him before any real damage is done. 

Stop running only 2 ship lists and nym all the sudden explodes in 1 or 2 turns of shooting. I am starting to think that the people who complain are just really bad pilots.

Congrats! You did it! @eagletsi111 you got us all, you sly dog, you! 

Come on everyone, let's give our friend @eagletsi111 the forum equivalent of a hardy round of applause by tagging him in every post in this thread from here on out! 

Hip-hip, horray! @eagletsi111, he's our man! if he can't determine that something is OP or broken after 2 games against it, no one can!

Edited by Kdubb

52 minutes ago, Icelom said:

Once you realise what he can do you can just kill him before any real damage is done. 

Stop running only 2 ship lists and nym all the sudden explodes in 1 or 2 turns of shooting. I am starting to think that the people who complain are just really bad pilots.

Hahahahaha great one, that's funny!

Unless you were serious, and Tim Hilton (3 ships), Travis Johnson (3 ships), Duncan Howard (3 ships), Clayton Webb (3 ships), and Dion Morales (4 ships, fairship rebs 2), who all lost to rebel Nym lists on stream at NOVA, are really bad pilots, along with any of the others who lost games that weren't on stream to Nym lists.

1 hour ago, Icelom said:

Lol.

How have you not won Worlds?! 

In case it didn't stick the first time: LOL.

12 hours ago, eagletsi111 said:

Had to chime in here.   If you all remember I posted when Nym first came out.   About how OP he truly was with actual stats and reasons why.

Ask Paul Heaver and Nathan Ide (SP) how much Nym Sucks,  Not to mention nearly the entire top 10 at Nationals and top 10 at Genecon.    Countless other Tournaments too.

I guess Nym just sucks and was NOT poorly designed with Major Power Creep and is not OP.   That is why everyone is playing him because they see that now.

I rest my case.

But it IS easy to kill. 

Do you know why it works at the best only with Dengar and Miranda? Because those are 2 ships that needs to be focussed on early game too.

That's why Nym worth. Try to fly him with a swarm: he will die pretty soon.

So we are actually right about it. It is easy to kill. 

1 hour ago, mdl0114 said:

Unless you were serious, and Tim Hilton (3 ships), Travis Johnson (3 ships), Duncan Howard (3 ships), Clayton Webb (3 ships), and Dion Morales (4 ships, fairship rebs 2), who all lost to rebel Nym lists on stream at NOVA, are really bad pilots, along with any of the others who lost games that weren't on stream to Nym lists.

The people complaining.... but sure extrapolate my comment to all players who have ever lost to a nym list. (pretty *** way to discuss something.)

Nym is good in the hands of a good pilot (like most ships) but he is very beatable. Certainly not some kind of godlike ship that can't be countered or killed. This was not some random guy who beat all those pilots in NOVA.... maybe give some props to the winner instead of claiming his choice of ships is overpowered and broken, the man knows how to fly. (I have crushed Pauls list (or something close to it) 100-0 in a store championship with 3 imp aces... but odds are paul would crush me because he is a good pilot not because his list or ship is OP... )

I just do not see the ship as complaint worthy... its freaking beatable. And I sure as **** hope none of those people you listed complained after losing to Paul that Nym was overpowered and that's why they lost. ****, a quick look at the tournament and Travis (you listed above) knocked out a Nym/miranda list at top 16.... 

Something has to win these f-ing tournaments every major tournament you get threads complaining that whatever won is OP. 

I rest my case on Nym is beatable and Paul is very good. 

2 hours ago, mdl0114 said:

So they lost because of Nym? Or maybe the guy flying Nym was a better pilot?

1 minute ago, hawk32 said:

Try reading the post he replied to.

I did. ICELOM said to stop running 2 ship lists and MD quoted several pilots that lost to Nym builds with 3 or more ships. Hence my response.

I watched the semi and finals. At that level of competition, sub-optional moves will haunt you. Your opponent will capitalize on these. I'm not talking about major boner moves but simply a move or moves that aren't the best for a particular board state. 

Of course dice can and will abandon you at the worst possible moment, especially the green ones. That you have little control over.