BVRCH

Wave 11/12 T-65 Band-aid?

So I'm of the opinion that Intensity is a great elite talent in its own right, but after seeing the 'almost' revealed Flight Control Astromech it got me thinking about the combination of it with intensity, and how that would potentially improve the old boy X-wing.

Flight Control Astromech (seems) to allow you a free barrel roll action if you have an enemy ship in your firing arc (and aren't stressed or touching etc.) it's also generic allowing multiple uses per list.

If the card reads as I have presumed then this would allow higher PS X-wing pilots some serious action economy and manoeuvrability, if you fly the ship well and time your intensity flips correctly. 

Do you think this FFG's subtle attempt to resurrect the original X-wing without giving Biggs an unnecessary advantage? I think they will re-visit the X-wing anyway, possibly after the Rebels finale, but is this a soft fix or band-aid to test the waters?

2 hours ago, Deadfool said:

But if you have to pay for intensity and the mech to make the T-65 good, then it becomes more expensive and you're back to square one.

we know the mech is a 0 pnt, but we don't know what it does exactly.

What i would like to know is how useful is a barrel roll if you already have  arc, isn't that mostly counter productive?

9 minutes ago, Ralgon said:

What i would like to know is how useful is a barrel roll if you already have  arc, isn't that mostly counter productive?

Where do we know that from?

AFAIK we have extrapolated its text with a pretty high likelihood but I've never seen any evidence of its price.

20 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Where do we know that from?

AFAIK we have extrapolated its text with a pretty high likelihood but I've never seen any evidence of its price.

my bad, i'm confusing it with r5-tk (the kimogilla mech)......

Edit: as for the question, it was half rhetorical the interpretation couldn't be right. If it were it wont "fix" much....

Edited by Ralgon

If I had to I'd probably price it at 2 points if it does what we think (after you execute a manoeuvre if you didn't bump or cross a rock and there's an enemy in your arc at range x-y, you may perform a free boost or barrel roll action, you can't fire out of arc).

Which probably means it'll be at least 3.

6 minutes ago, Razgriz25thinf said:

can someone post what we figure the ability to be? I've never seen anyone talk about it.

57 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

If I had to I'd probably price it at 2 points if it does what we think (after you execute a manoeuvre if you didn't bump or cross a rock and there's an enemy in your arc at range x-y, you may perform a free boost or barrel roll action, you can't fire out of arc).

Which probably means it'll be at least 3.

Bolded for your convenience.

The exact wording has been figured out better than I've indicated there, but that's the gist of it.

41 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Bolded for your convenience.

The exact wording has been figured out better than I've indicated there, but that's the gist of it.

oh lol, whoops

Um.... hmm.

I think it'll probably be two points, as there are a lot of triggers necessary to make the thing go off. Besides, i dont think there are actually any 3 point generic mechs yet anyways. I feel like FFG is content to make 2 points or less the generic range.

First to possibly get out of their firing arc and keep them in yours.  Also if you have Intensity to pick up a focus and be out of their arc.  If not x-wing limited then it could also be used on the y-wing.

Edited by librarian101

8 hours ago, Ralgon said:

It's an amazing combo on lower PS X-wings actually.

I really like the concept. Three actions for two points on an X-Wing, including up to two from outside it's action bar? A free non-unique astromech to go along with IAstro? This is some seriously good stuff. Probably won't make Xs tier1, but definitely capable of winning some tours.

Of course, there's also the issue of being a free 1 point discount for Biggs. Really hoping a moustache nerf drops before wave12.

19 hours ago, Deadfool said:

But if you have to pay for intensity and the mech to make the T-65 good, then it becomes more expensive and you're back to square one.

13 hours ago, drail14me said:

It still sucks because of the X-Wings very limited upgradeability. Barrel roll should be native to the X-Wing not a costing upgrade that also takes up an upgrade slot. 

The key word I used in the OP is band-aid, I know its not the magical fix we all want, but there a lot of great T-65 pilot abilities that I wouldn't have an issue spending a few points on if the chassis was better. I see this as a combo that might get me to play the T-65 and potentially have some success with.

11 hours ago, AngryAlbatross said:

Why would you want to boost or barrel roll if the enemy is already in your firing arc?  The usual problem with T-65's is they are too easily outmaneuvered, this astromech/intensity potential combo doesn't seem to fix that...

I personally think it will only cost 1pt (that's purely a guess) on the basis that BB-8 is 2pts and has a much better ability. I also hope that the clause isn't 'you cannot attack with this arc' as that would make the card go from; quite useful with good flying, to complete rubbish. However there is no point arguing about that just yet as that piece of text is hardest to decipher with the images we have.

If it does let you fire, then you can move, get your free b-roll to potentially get yourself out of your opponents arc, take a focus token, then perform a TL action. This combo could be great with the likes of Luke and Wedge at 31-32pts, and facilitating IA.

8 hours ago, Elavion said:

It's an amazing combo on lower PS X-wings actually.

I really like the concept. Three actions for two points on an X-Wing, including up to two from outside it's action bar? A free non-unique astromech to go along with IAstro? This is some seriously good stuff. Probably won't make Xs tier1, but definitely capable of winning some tours.

Of course, there's also the issue of being a free 1 point discount for Biggs. Really hoping a moustache nerf drops before wave12.

I agree, i think with turrets and rear arcs like that on the phantom II, ARC-170 and Y-wing this could be a very nice combo for the cheaper pilots as it doesn't seem to specify a particular arc to trigger. As long as it lets you attack. I can't see any benefit to this card if it ends up preventing you from attacking.

Edited by BVRCH

1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

It almost certainly stops you attacking *out of arc*.  It's designed to not be OP with Y Wings.

Which makes me hope against hope that it might be 1 point, because they were worried about putting it on quad TLTs.

Or at least not 'normal' Y-wings. It might be quite tasty with BTL-A4 Y-wings with those massive forward guns.

14 hours ago, Elavion said:

But you're losing R5-D8 by taking it - his ability to tank cruise missiles and so on are at least partially dependent on that droid.

Yup.  Biggs doesn't need manoeuvrability, he needs tanking.  Giving him boost or BR doesn't help him Biggs at all.

And I've gotta say FLight Control Astromech is potentially a very good way of selling more copies of what's a mostly Unique expansion.  Especially if it's good, there could be a LOT of spare bits of Phantom 2 floating around, that people have bought just to get them.  E: indeed, there are only two non-unique cards in this expansion, this, and a new crew Cou-something, probably not faction specific.

Edited by thespaceinvader

R4-D6 is actually mostly meaningless on biggs. between 2 agi and not doing anything about crits, you use him around once every three games. That 1 point is much better spent elsewhere, we simply had no astro costing 0 before.

2 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

It almost certainly stops you attacking *out of arc*.  It's designed to not be OP with Y Wings.

Which makes me hope against hope that it might be 1 point, because they were worried about putting it on quad TLTs.

That makes sense. 'You cannot attack outside of your firing arc' would be great, and preventing Y-wing turrets from firing makes way more sense than what I had been reading before.

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Or at least not 'normal' Y-wings. It might be quite tasty with BTL-A4 Y-wings with those massive forward guns.

That would be a great combo, and takes the place of R3-A2 so it's not OP.

55 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Yup.  Biggs doesn't need manoeuvrability, he needs tanking.  Giving him boost or BR doesn't help him Biggs at all.

Exactly my thought, it's quite a savvy little 'fix' if it works as we suspect.