TheTerrainStudio - Shawn Morris

Star Wars Legion - Table Build Log

Hey Everyone,

Just thought I would pop over hear (only seems fitting) to share with you my build progress as I tackle a Legion Table.  I have started a terrain FB group (and I also have several how to videos - showing this work) to chronical the build work. I love terrain making and have been doing it for several years, across a range of games.  That being said this is my first Star Wars build so there is lots to learn. Feel free to contact me, if you have any questions or comments - I love chatting all things terrain. Please enjoy and help me stay motivated!

Edited by TheTerrainStudio - Shawn Morris

Excellent work.  I remember watching quite a few of you 15mm Wolrd War Two terrain videos on youtube and was always thoroughly impressed.  This is looking great and, seemingly, simple to achieve.

Do you find the cardboard too flimsy when it comes to wear and tear (post-productions)?

I saw your videos over the weekend and I really like what you have done and your technique for creating Endor terrain.

Your process shows you truly enjoy what you do.

I look forward to watching more of your videos and "borrowing" some of your techniques for my own tables.

The trees are looking excellent so far, especially the last one you show.  It's the little details which really set great terrain from the rest, and the mushroom growth is an excellent example of that.

Are you going to weather or wash the moss growth hanging from the tree?  It may have looked a little bright as is, though that could just be the video.

Thanks for continuing to share this step by step.  The products you're showing are amazing.  I'm kind of at the "throw down a map and some cardboard tokens" level of gaming (Armada, X-wing) so the terrain products are really enticing but intimidating at the same time.  Between them and the effort (and cost) required to get into the game I'm undecided if I'll commit to Legion or not.

Could you share your underlying strategy for building the table? Where are you going?  Some of the questions I have:

- Modular board.  Is that to make it easier to move, or will you do different terrain on each one so you can change the board by mixing and matching modules?

- How much terrain will end up being fixed to the board, and how much is separate on stands that you move around?

- Do you have to do different boards for each type of terrain (Tatooine, Endor, Hoth, etc) or are there ways to have the underlying table/board work for multiple environments?

- You end up with a 6x4 product, right? 6x3 for the game board, 6" border for game supplies like dice, tokens, etc (I play Armada -- same concept). Those modules look like they might be heavy when built up with terrain so I see the need for the board underneath, but then that adds weight, too -- so what is your table support and how portable is that?

- Where should a noob start to get something usable without getting overcommitted and overwhelmed?

Looking awesome, while reminding me of another reason I'll be staying away from Legion. What little terrain I have for Lord of the Rings and the Batman Miniatures Game is already a pain in the butt to store. I can't imagine where I'd put even more terrain. (Not to mention that I really don't enjoy the set up and take down of 3D terrain, as it usually makes set up and takedown as time consuming as actual gameplay, especially in a house with cats.)