venkelos

Force Sensitivity in the Empire

So, I have a little question, but it requires a bit of babbling, and explaining, so please bear with me. I have my Shining Knight in the Empire NPC, and one of the little problems with him has been keeping him Empire-affiliated; he really does believe in the good the Empire CAN do, even if it sometimes chooses to be monstrous, and dreads any effort to return to the crippled, bloated, corrupt, and ineffective Republic government that reigned before, but one can only serve under the Empire so long before it becomes apparent that its current leadership personae ARE monsters. Well, one little addition I've considered making is to one of his teammates. Reaper Squadron is the Empire's answer to Rogue Squadron, and other such groups of highly visible, relatable fighter pilots, using the best tech available, and while she doesn't fly a Hunter, Ena Purgrim is the squad's chief mechanic, keeping their advanced TIE vessels up to snuff, and even programming Killgrave's astromech for him. She's very shy, soft-spoken, and the like, much more able to relate to the ships, than to the men, and women, who pilot them, minus her dashing commander. Her problem is she seems to be Force-sensitive, and no one's noticed. She might have a variant of Mind Trick that works on machines, sort of like Irek Ismaren, before the EU material got torched.

Killgrave notices something weird when he sees Ena and his droid. So, here's the thing. I'm guessing that the Empire would seize her, if they found out, but what would happen to her? Would they kill her? Would she disappear? It's a minor power, at best, and she DEFINITELY lacks the psychological strength to survive any "training" the Inquisitorius would require. Killgrave doesn't like the Rebels, but he certainly doesn't want anything bad to happen to his favorite teammate, and he's very high profile with the Imperial brass, as their galant hero-type, so he might try to smuggle her out of the Empire. Other than me just writing silly story, for the sake of it, what would be Ena's fate? Is there any way she could stay with her squadron? Would the Empire force her to become something else? Just kill her, so she doesn't "become a Jedi" (a Force-user they can't manipulate), or something? Sorry to make you plod through fan-fiction, and thank you for any assistance.

The key being, "If they found out." The average person considers the Force to be a "hokey religion". Even during the Clone Wars, the average person never saw a Jedi except on a vid screen. 10,000 Jedi versus billions of sentients. With the Empire's propoganda, most people (even those in the Empire's war machine) wouldn't believe the Jedi were anything but charlatans.

So, the question is what does Killgrave think he saw? Odds are, he might just write it off. Even if he's one of the few that know the Force is real, why would he think that she was using the Force? Even if he did, why would he think that Ena is disloyal?

Just some things to think about.

Also, if Ena is a PC, this sounds like time for an Obligation from EotE...

Does the Empire not do medical exams on their personnel?  A midi-chlorian count seems to be a rather simple blood test that should be widely performed on Imperial personnel even if the medical staff doesn't know what the test is really for and the sealed results are sent directly to the Inquisitorius for review.

Edited by HappyDaze

44 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

Does the Empire not do medical exams on their personnel?  A midi-chlorian count seems to be a rather simple blood test that should be widely performed on Imperial personnel even if the medical staff doesn't know what the test is really for and the sealed results are sent directly to the Inquisitorius for review.

I believe they don't do those tests anymore in order to hide proof of Force Sensitivity. The Empire talks about the Jedi like they were frauds, so they wouldn't admit that what made the Jedi special actually existed. "Midi-cholrians? That jedi poodoo?!" And being Force Sensitive is so rare that it really doesn't make sense to do it. Just wait and see if the kids develop something. The Empire is watching almost everyone, so they'll be able to find the ones that are special.

In regards to OP, the Empire would just take her and do whatever they wanted to do to her. They could take her and force her to become an Inquisitor. If she was defiant, they would just kill her. If she has a really special ability, they may even conduct experiments on her to figure out how it works, because the Empire is like that. If the Empire finds out, you can bet your sweet bippy that the ending won't be good for Ena.

So now it's up to Killgrave and Ena to decide what to do. She has the powers of the 'heretical Jedi'. Does Ena hate this part of her? Does she figure out what she is and brand herself as a traitor to the Empire, since she can do what the Jedi did? How does Killgrave feel about it? I can't tell you what to do with a character, of course, but there are a lot of options here! They could fake her death, letting her sneak off to the Rebels, who would gladly take a Force Sensitive into their ranks, and a high ranking Imperial to boot! She'd be safe with them, even if Killgrave hates them. 

She could stay, as long as she didn't let anyone know about her powers and never used them in front of people. But once you know about this power in your blood, how can you go back to being the person you once were? Life has changed for Ena and that could be some amazing RP!

Good luck with your adventure!!

In the FnD core rulebook, in The Force chapter (I don't remember the exact page now), there is a sidebar explaining that the midi-chlorians theory was not 100% effective in the times Jedi used it. Also, it explains that in times of the Empire, the theory is viewed with disdain and mockery by scientists and is utterly discouraged by authorities because is part of the Jedi "religion".

But in fact, the Empire seeks force sentive sentients to either convert them, use them or remove them. This is the way of tyrannical and dictatorial governments: my way or no way at all, because force-sensitive people are a potential danger for the Empire. So, if someone sees someone doing bizarre things they call up the authorities, then the authorities call their supperiors if they see fit, and then there is a call to the inquisitors, the ISB or whoever. This groups can do then this "midiclhorian" test, reserved only for the most elite authorities of the Empire to do, or use a variant use of Sense to perceive if is force sensitive (if not, why they are always saying "oooh, you're strong in the force, I can feel your power...").

4 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

Not doing an easy and reliable test for Force-sensitivity sounds like an idiotic evil overlord failing, much like having ventilation ducts big enough for people to fit through.

I can see an ISB officer blaming and seeking the engineers of the ventilation ducts where the rebels scaped. "Who built this? I want the responsible in my office, now! I'm sure he is a rebel scum and a traitor!" XDDD

Edited by hikari_dourden

About the original question posted:

- Is she aware that she is force-sensitive, or she activates her power subconsciously?

- What people think of her? They think she is loyal to the empire? They are loyal to her? They like her or they dislike her? She drives much attention or she is utterly ignored as a droid geek? Examples: "She is a droids geek, so the droids like her more for sure", or "uhhh, I dont like her, she is bizarre, she does strange things... lets bully her", or "why droids love her so much? This stinks, I'm sure she is reprograming them to dislike us..."

- Is Kilgrave aware that she is force-sensitive? Is he aware what the Empire do to Force-Sentitives? Is he dispossed to protect her and hide her secret, even if she does know she is force sensitive? Mmm... I see good roleplaying material here :)

I hope it helps!

Ena is not aware of her ability; she more talks to a machine, and it seems to behave, conveniently. She is very loyal to her sister, who is in the squad, her commander, who she is becoming enamored with, and the Empire, though she is not as knowledgeable about what the Empire is really like, and criminally naive, and goes unnoticed.

Killgrave is not initially aware of it; he just sees her sort of talking to his droid, and something happens a bit weird (not sure how that'll work out), and wonders how it works. He has seen a few Inquisitor-types, and knows that they are a-holes. He did some researching on a few who used the TIE Advanced x1, since he's flying the same type of ship, now, and might suspect that they are a bit severe, cruel, or stuff like that, and if he realizes what Ena might be able to do, and where theat will lead her, he wouldn't believe her capable of surviving; her strength of will isn't up to snuff, against an Inquisitor. For the moment, they aren't an item, but he is very protective; he's my shining knight of the Empire, after all. ;)

1 hour ago, venkelos said:

Ena is not aware of her ability; she more talks to a machine, and it seems to behave, conveniently. She is very loyal to her sister, who is in the squad, her commander, who she is becoming enamored with, and the Empire, though she is not as knowledgeable about what the Empire is really like, and criminally naive, and goes unnoticed.

Killgrave is not initially aware of it; he just sees her sort of talking to his droid, and something happens a bit weird (not sure how that'll work out), and wonders how it works. He has seen a few Inquisitor-types, and knows that they are a-holes. He did some researching on a few who used the TIE Advanced x1, since he's flying the same type of ship, now, and might suspect that they are a bit severe, cruel, or stuff like that, and if he realizes what Ena might be able to do, and where theat will lead her, he wouldn't believe her capable of surviving; her strength of will isn't up to snuff, against an Inquisitor. For the moment, they aren't an item, but he is very protective; he's my shining knight of the Empire, after all. ;)

The fact is that, although you know as a player that she is force-sensitive, your character doesn't know, and it seems (by what you are commenting) that you are trying your character to discover that she is force-sensitive. 

Try the opposite way. 

That is, make Killgrave find logical and plausible explanations to what she does. Make Killgrave content with the idea that she is competent when treating with droids, the same way that are people good with horses, dogs or banthas, and happy to have her in his team. If someone asks, Killgrave can tell she is very competent with droids and that he is proud of her, revealing nothing of strange droid behaviours if Killgrave really want to protect her and avoid any unwanted attention about her abilities.

She's useful, she is loyal, she is not dangerous and seems "fragile". Just what a Knight loves to protect.

It is an idea ;)

Do whatever is most interesting instead of "what would really happen".

Maybe a Moff or admiral or wing commander or other figure in the Imperial power structure wants to keep it a secret because they don't want to lose a valuable asset.  This would give the PC an Obligation of some sort (Secret, Debt, etc).

Maybe the Inquisitorius does examine her and determine she's not cut out to be an Inquisitor but she's also not a threat so they use her as a low level "agent" to spy on others or perform small missions suited to her abilities.  Or they "assign" her to work with a "handler" who is an Emperor's Hand and she secretly works for them.  If this is something the character (the character, not the player) resist then turn it into an Obligation.  If the character likes this development then turn it into a Duty.

The way I see it, every method the Galaxy has of measuring Force potential is imperfect.  Midichlorians have only a loose correlation. Sure, a Jedi master would be very high, but a clueless Sensitive might only be as high as a star athlete, an ace pilot, or a gifted mechanic.  The Force flows through everything and everyone, just because it flows through some a little stronger doesn't mean they have control over it.

An Inquisitor inspecting cadets might have a feeling about one or two, but would probably test them out with some sort of combat scenario. Our mechanic probably wouldn't shine here. Also, if she's being interviewed, she's way out of her element, and probably retreating into herself as much as possible.

And the funny thing about droids is that you can talk to them.  Sure, people would think she's a bit odd, talking to starships and being more comfortable with droids than people, but that's pretty common among gearheads.  Half the people in my wife's family are mechanics, and they find other people stressful and exhausting.

So, yeah, I think it would be pretty easy for certain Force-Sensitives to slip past the notice of the Inquisition.

On 9/5/2017 at 3:12 AM, hikari_dourden said:

I can see an ISB officer blaming and seeking the engineers of the ventilation ducts where the rebels scaped. "Who built this? I want the responsible in my office, now! I'm sure he is a rebel scum and a traitor!" XDDD

After a few moments of sweating, the Engineer will calmly inform the ISB officer that their Imperial standard ventilation ducts, and he refer the officer to the regional office of Naval procurement.  Who will slowly pass it up the chain, until said ISB officer finds himself transferred the outer rim world of Hoth.

Wasn't there an episode of Rebels where storm troopers in training who were suspected of being force sensitive were sent to the Inquisitors for training?

The empire would not care if she lived or died during training. live to serve the empire or die as one of the weak.

The empire could only ID a force sensitive due to there ability to do things no one else could do. So if she hides any extra ordinary abilities then the empire is likely never to notice.