Sign in to follow this  
goncardoso

What's better?

5 hours ago, goncardoso said:

beside i never expected this would have x wings and tie fighters ! since it seems a much more complete game i think i will try to get armada though it so much more expensive and dont know exactly how are the distances and the maps since i never played it.

The core game uses the same map as the core X-Wing game. An expanded game with full 400 points of fleet uses a twice as big one.

8 hours ago, jocke01 said:

I say I think armada is a better desinged game but I rather play it on vassal since there is so much measuring and decisiouns to be made every round.

X-wing has a natural flow and can be played in succesion. Armada it's mentally taxing playing just one game.

X wing is cheaper and has a nice flow even if it's bloated these days with 12 waves + expansions.

Armada is expensive, nice and well desinged but a bit clunky too play and in My opinion, not as fun to play in tournaments but better than x Wing in standalone games

Cost is interesting.  Approx $1200 of Armada will get you 1 of each large, 1 core, 2 of everything else plus movement and dice through wave 7.  That can build you a ton of lists and gives you a ton of content.

In X-Wing however, $1300 will get you 1 of each core, 1 of each aces, and 2 of everything else through wave 7.  But this won't get you any of the epic stuff, which is another $400.  And you haven't even hit waves 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12.  Worst part is, you are somewhat limited in your lists.  Limiting to only 2 of any ship really cuts down on options, and the way cards are limited to certain packs, you may not be able to field some of the lists you want to.

Sure, you can limit yourself to a single faction in X-wing and cut the price, but the same can be done with Armada effectively halving the price.

Basically, they are both expensive, and I'd argue that to stay competitive and relevant with new cards, power creep, and all your options, X-wing can be WAY more expensive.  X-wing also lacks the campaign element.

I started with X-wing, but completely abandoned it when Armada came along.  X-wing is fun.  But it's snub fighters duking it out.  It's not the grand star wars experience I desire.  I've never been completely sold on the X-wing experience either.  The flight system is somewhat 'meh' to me.

Armada on the other hand reminds me of many of the battles you see in movies and shows.  The style of combat fits with games I've played.  It just seems to flow better for me.  It feels more correct (which is a completely arbitrary opinion).

I like to make this point:

Xwing is a skirmish game fast simple sweet at its core. But tons of other ship and cards to give it layers. If your looking for quick beer drinking game that dosent cost that much, this is for you.

Armada is a wargame moderately complex yet easy to understand core. Layers are generated by persanal tactics and strategy ( yes i understand ships and cards have an affect, its nowhere near as big as you the player). If your looking for a medium lenth game to play while drinking beer, that is still pretty cheap( as wargames go, $400 will get you a real nice mono faction fleet vs warhammer  where $400 will get you a nice pity party and everyone telling you to start selling organs to get alist at 1500 pts) this game is for you.

Note: seriously this game is cheap compared to other war games. With such a nice low cost for 100 bucks you can buy 300+ point fleet. No painting, assembling, no buying 2 50 buck boxes of dudes to make full power unit that equates only 1/5 of your army at best. Ffg has done good with their pricing for thier games.

5 minutes ago, goncardoso said:

i know its cheaper than other games.. still 1200$ for everything is kinda ... but armada seems very cool from what u guys say

I know $1200 is steep, but (hopefully) no one is holding a gun to your head to buy it all upfront.

Also i think the question is also are you looking for a game to play, or are you looking to collect some starwars ships that you can play a game with?

That can heavily determine wich you think is best. Due to personal preferances in both catagory.

I enjoy both, but Armada definitely feels more strategic than X-wing.

Our local X-wing groups basically google a successful list and then run nothing but, where as Armada, our guys make their own. 

As for the gameplay itself....

"If X-Wing is a knife fight on a dance floor, Armada is 1000 guns at 1000 paces while sipping a nice cup of tea" -Kotaku

3 hours ago, goncardoso said:

i know its cheaper than other games.. still 1200$ for everything is kinda ... but armada seems very cool from what u guys say

Armada may have a more expensive buy in than X-Wing but what you get for that money is still going to be useful in future waves. I've barely scratched the surface of X-Wing and already have ships that seem to be obsolete. For around $200 you can build a fairly competitive tournament fleet for Armada. I've already sunk $200 into X-Wing and I seriously doubt that I could field a viable squad for tournaments.

On 9/3/2017 at 4:40 PM, goncardoso said:

I'll ask here since people here probably come from X-Wing. What's the better game ? Armada or X-Wing ? 
I love star wars and i heard X-Wing is one of the most rental games from FFG. I'm trying to get into one of them , and i was going to go for X-Wings , but then i heard this one had the cool stuff like Thrawn's ship or Admiral Raddus ship from Rogue One. And i was like.. i dont know what i should go first. If they could be played together but people said that it doesnt work and cant be done like that.. 

honest opinions pls guys

I feel that Armada has greater depth and greater variety in competitive play, but honestly you might want to see what's more popular in your area. Armada's a better game, but I'll take a game of X-Wing over not being able to find an Armada player if that's what it comes down to. If you're asking on behalf of you and some friends, go for Armada. Just pool resources and form a group. 

despite both being star wars space combat,  its like comparing apples and bananas.   Technically similar,  but in reality entirely different. 

I'd start by finding out what is played in your area. Look for local facebook and armada groups (in some places they may be one and the same) and find out where you can get other players.  Most groups will be happy to show a new player the basics and run a few demo games.