Sign in to follow this  
goncardoso

What's better?

I'll ask here since people here probably come from X-Wing. What's the better game ? Armada or X-Wing ? 
I love star wars and i heard X-Wing is one of the most rental games from FFG. I'm trying to get into one of them , and i was going to go for X-Wings , but then i heard this one had the cool stuff like Thrawn's ship or Admiral Raddus ship from Rogue One. And i was like.. i dont know what i should go first. If they could be played together but people said that it doesnt work and cant be done like that.. 

honest opinions pls guys

4 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Find out who actually plays what in your neighborhood. Game is only as fun as the people you play with

hum probably both games.. where i live people dont like much boardgaming.

2 minutes ago, Kiwi Rat said:

Had bought into X-wing wave 1 and 2, but it took a year before I played the first game.

After having played 3 or 4 games of X-wing, came Armada and I've not looked back since. ;)

The only X-wing I've bought after that, is the stuff with relation to the old Legend EU, for the nostalgia.

hum i see.. is that one side u have destroyers and awesome big ships but on the other u have luke x-wing, millenium falcon, imperial raider, slave 1, etc..

I agree with buckero0, that it may be better to see what you can play. I also haven't played X-Wing. 

However, I can tell you that even were I able to afford X-Wing, I wouldn't play it, partly because I hear that there is an issue with power creep, but mainly because come on - massive ship battles ALWAYS trump fighter skirmishes. :) 

The difference between X-wing and Armada is, that in X-wing you have to on the spur of the moment out guees your opponent from turn to turn. While in Armada you have more of a combined arms game, where you have to think at least two turns ahead.

So if you feel more like a fighter jock, X-wing is your game. But if you feel more like a Thrawn, Armada is your game.

X-Wing vs Armada is basically a decision of scale: do you like the X-Wing scale or individual starfighters or do you like Armada scale of capital ships going at it? 

Personally, I like both scales, but what pushed me to Armada over X-Wing was that Armada uses defense tokens over the defense dice of X-Wing. 

I admit I am biased. Armada all the way

I played a few games of X-Wing and I can appreciate its a good game, but something felt clunky to me and I didn't enjoy it

Armada, on the other hand, was just the game I have been waiting for (being Star Wars just helps) and clicked with it immediately.

I would suggest you play both and which is best for you as, ignoring scale, they're two quite different games

Edited by Jimble

I've been playing X-wing since way back in wave 2, and Armada for just over a year now. I'm going to give you a very unfortunate, but honest answer: they're too different to compare. It's like trying to compare Scrabble and Monopoly; they both require a board and some brain power, but the similarities end there.

I will say a few things about my experience with both, though. Firstly, X-wing is much easier to get a casual game of. You'll have one done in an hour, and there's generally a larger scene for it at FLGS events/game days. It doesn't take much to set it up, and the game is relatively straightforward to both learn and play. It's also relatively cheap to buy into, with core sets running about $35.

Armada takes a bit more effort to get a game in, given it's longer play time of about 2 hours, and the sheer extra space requires to play a game (6x3 tables are often at a premium in your FLGS, and difficult to store at home). Its following isn't quite as large as X-wing, but those who do play it are always very happy to show new players the ropes. The rules aren't quite as straightforward, but they do allow for a lot more interesting flexibility in how you approach the game. One of its biggest detractors is that the core set is much more expensive compared to X-wing, which can out a lot of people off, but there is quite a bit in it.

Given that these games live and breath on the new wave expansions, and the meta game in local stores/groups, I'd like to give special mention to these.

The buy-in on X-wing is cheap enough, but the upkeep is much less forgiving. The X-wing wave release schedule can be brutally frequent, and quite expensive to keep up with, especially where a ship may be designed to be most effective when used in multiples. Conversely, Armada's initially expensive buy-in is tempered by a comparitively same release schedule, with smaller pack counts. The overall spend to get everything you "need" from a wave can be as much as twice the cost for X-wing, and that doesn't mention the fact that you'll get twice the number of waves in a year from X-wing.

The meta for X-wing is both heavily structured and influenced by the previous 2 waves at any given time. There are some ubiquitous ships/pilots that transcend that, but for the most part you need to be heavily up to date on your purchasing to build a list with a shot at winning even a casual game. In comparison, Armada doesn't have any major meta constraints at all. Everything from the core set ships and upgrades, right through to the latest hotness from a new wave is represented on the board in both casual and competitive games, which is testament to it's balance. X-wing suffers badly from a lack of this balance, made worse by some particular upgrade combinations that are inescapable. Armada seems to promote finding your own path to victory a bit more.

Lastly, I'll say this - and again, this is strictly from personal experience - I do enjoy both games. X-wing is a game I've enjoyed less of late, with the game seemingly routinely jumping the shark with overpowered new upgrades defining each wave. It's still a game I play casually, but I've hung up my competitive dice on it.

Armada, on the other hand, I find immensely satisfying to play. Win or lose, it's just more interesting from start to finish. I haven't had that feeling from X-wing in years.

If your thinking of X-Wing you're better off playing the original WW1 or WW2 versions which are simpler and far superior.  All FFG have done is removed the dogfighting mechanics from a dogfighting game, added eight sided die combat and green defence dice and card combos. 

Armada is the more tactical game with depth in layer combat. 

Edited by Vetnor

I played xwing before Armada came out but I starting when wave 5 or so was out. And tried to play catch up for years. I never did.  They continued to pump out wave after wave and forget about epic ships. I ended up selling all my xwings stuff last December because I never played it anymore. I had Armada and loved playing that much more.  

I am all about to fleet combat. It's awesome. I love finding new ways to use ships and the game play is much more interesting.  Xwing does involve a bit of guessing where your opponent will go.

I would love to say get Armada but you may want to ask in the xwing forums also because I think we would mostly say get Armada here.

It does come down to what your more interested in, dogfight or fleet command.  

If you do decide on Armada look for a good place online to get a core set at least.  A few options are coolstuffinc.com, miniaturemarket.com or thewarstore.com.  sometimes bookdepository.com has it for like $60 but I haven't seen that price for a couple months.

Good luck choosing!

I played X wing for quite a while but the scene is very hot or cold. It's either all the rage for the newest set of ships and cards and ultra competitive  or there's nobody playing at all. I go a couple of months without playing and it's hard to catch a game. I have a ton of ships I literally can't fly because they are extremely underpowered

armada is the opposite. The games may be few and far between, but I can pull out stuff from the core set and with some practice I can give my opponent a run for his money with the first ships I bought. The new stuff adds layers but my ships have staying power, so if I decide to skip a wave or wait, I can still play and enjoy myself. In my mind armada is a better purchase for that point right now. 

Honest opinion, imperial assault is the best game out of them all, but FFG kind of got screwed on that game by hasbro so it hasn't got the support or sustenance that the others have.

So i played xwing for about a year before coming over to armada and honestly, i wouldn't ever go back. I was curious about your topic and if there was an equiv in the xwing community so i checked out the forums and didn't find anything. What i did find though is a lot of what appears to be non dog fighting talk in the dog fighting game. unfortunately xwing tends to boil down to builds a lot more than armada does. It's still a good idea to put a competent list on the battle field, but the game can still be won with meh lists. Xwing on the other hand is very build dependent. I noticed a lot of talk about how people kit their ships out, which is important, but to the point where it felt more like "pimp my starfighter" instead of a tactics driven game. I think Xwing DESPERATELY needs a second edition to bring it's craziness a bit back in line, until then i doubt it's worth getting into.  

Having said that maybe swing by a shop, find out when both games are normally played and try to watch games a couple times in person?most people in either community  are generally friendly(with a few exceptions) and will likely walk you through their thought processes as they play as well. 

Good luck and have fun with your choice :) 

X-wing is a more casual, faster, shorter game, excellent if you havr only an hour or so to play. Armada is a deeper strategy game with more tginking, measuring and planning. Therefor it takes much longer to play a round.

I prefer Armada but I admit X-Wing's strong features as well.

But in the end it really comes down to what game you can find a partner to. Because a game on the shelf is never a good game...

7 hours ago, goncardoso said:

on the other u have luke x-wing, millenium falcon, imperial raider, slave 1, etc..

You have this in Armada too :)

Don't underestimate the power (of the Dark Side) and impact of small ships and squadrons in Armada!

I would say that XWing is more about direct action, when Armada more about strategy and tactics. Both are very intensive and addictive games though ^^

I have to say ...apples and oranges,  however I prefer Armada.

Resons being enjoyment & satisfaction ... plus you can take pretty much anything (with a couple of exceptions... VSDs in a tournament setting being one!) and build a list to what you want and be relatively competitive.  There are no must takes.

Unlike some lists in X-wing where you can lose on the build list phase without brilliant luck on one side & horrible luck + bad flying - [this being the reason why I've not played more than 5 games of x-wing in the last couple of years]

Edited by slasher956

Wow.. thanks for the answers guys , i see that armada take the heart of all of you. Tbh i felt much more atractted to armada when i saw Thrawn's Chimaera and that they added hero ships like the luke x-wing and slave 1 and millenium falcon and etc in this game too . beside i never expected this would have x wings and tie fighters ! since it seems a much more complete game i think i will try to get armada though it so much more expensive and dont know exactly how are the distances and the maps since i never played it.

anyway thanks for ur opinions

1 hour ago, ripper998 said:

Xwing is checkers

armada is chess

I just started playing X-Wing about 2 weeks ago and this perfectly sums up the impression it has given me. I've enjoyed learning to play X-Wing but I don't know how long I'll stick with it. Even with constantly trying out new combos of ships and upgrades each game feels pretty much the same as the last. Armada however has become a large part of my free time, and a lot more of my work time than it should be. Each new wave has added to the game without taking away from what was already there and each game is always different from the last. If I was only going to play one it would be Armada hands down. Now when Legion comes out we'll see if Armada gets some real competition.

I say I think armada is a better desinged game but I rather play it on vassal since there is so much measuring and decisiouns to be made every round.

X-wing has a natural flow and can be played in succesion. Armada it's mentally taxing playing just one game.

X wing is cheaper and has a nice flow even if it's bloated these days with 12 waves + expansions.

Armada is expensive, nice and well desinged but a bit clunky too play and in My opinion, not as fun to play in tournaments but better than x Wing in standalone games