Sign in to follow this  
Forresto

Krennic in Wave 7?

As an Officer - very low. He'd have to be the 1 of 18 upgrade cards we don't know anything about.

As a Commander, pretty high; unless there's another obvious Commander option from Rebels.

Edited by Grumbleduke

19 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

As a Commander, pretty high; unless there's another obvious Commander option from Rebels.

Huh? You know Thrawn is the imperial commander right? And that there is only one for each faction?

Armada Wave VII provides two new commanders—one Rebel and one Imperial

I will eat an ISD if Krennic is an imperial commander in Wave 7.

I'd say the odds of him showing up as an officer, though, are very, very high.

11 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

Huh? You know Thrawn is the imperial commander right? And that there is only one for each faction?

He has the navy rank of an admiral (which he kinda bought) and is responsible for a super weapon programme. I think we'd more likely see him as a commander who modifies some stats on fleet

14 minutes ago, Visovics said:

He has the navy rank of an admiral (which he kinda bought) and is responsible for a super weapon programme. I think we'd more likely see him as a commander who modifies some stats on fleet

That may be, but not in Wave 7.

Also, we have multiple imperial officers with the rank of Admiral in the game currently. And even one Director.

24 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

The image shows a second Commander card. So either the image is wrong, or when the blog said it provided "two new commanders" it didn't mean only 2 new commanders.

I think the Officer Krennic is unlikely as they've already shown 4 unique Officers for the expansion pack. The top left card could be another Officer, but then why isn't it with the others, just facedown (although it isn't clear why they felt the need to hide what type of card it is? Also with what we've seen, the ships have slots for Weapons Team, Offensive Retrofit, Ion Cannons, Turbolasers and Ordnance, and at most 3 cards for all of them (including Darth Vader). If the mystery card is an Officer that means no new cards for those slots. Even if the card is an Officer, I'm not sure Krennic is the best choice as the Chimaera Pack seems to be more Rebels-focused not Rogue One-focused.

There has never been an Armada expansion with more than one Commander/side. The only one with more than one Commander is the core set, and that has one Imperial and one Rebel.

There is no mention of a second commander.

The Imperials are not short a commander with respect to the Rebels, nor is there any other particular impetus that would suggest they need an extra one.

Your argument against making him an officer in this expansion applies doubly to making him a commander in it.

What makes you think that Krennic would show up as a second commander here, apart from the misprint in the article?

I mean, I'm willing to admit there is a possibility I'm wrong. But it's so fantastically unlikely that I'm also willing to eat an ISD if I am.

43 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

1 minute ago, Ardaedhel said:

I mean, I'm willing to admit there is a possibility I'm wrong. But it's so fantastically unlikely that I'm also willing to eat an ISD if I am.

Quoted, for future reference. 

Plenty of expansions had more than 1 commander per side, but they all came with more than 1 ship/pack per side.   If Krennik comes with the Chimera and Thrawn, it would be a first.   They are as likely to provide a ship/squad combo out of the same box, or make a "new" ship that is just a repaint of an existing one.  

24 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

There has never been an Armada expansion with more than one Commander/side.

Yes. But that doesn't mean it can't happen. We've never before had an Expansion Pack with a repaint. We've never had an Expansion Pack with both a ship and squadrons. We've also had an Expansion Pack with no Commander. So one Commander per Expansion Pack isn't absolute. But yes - I'll give you that this weighs against there being a second Commander.

You mean other than in the spread, where there is a second Commander shown? That's a pretty good indication for their being a second Commander, at least to me. The alternative is that someone at FFG decided to put in the wrong card image. Which could happen. But those images have to be chosen individually and carefully positioned (deciding which ones to show faceup, how much to show, which to put facedown, which to hide completely) - and I really, really hope someone at FFG didn't just screw up there.

What makes you think that Krennic would show up as a second commander here, apart from the misprint in the article?

I think that there likely to be a second Commander based on the image. I don't think that requires a misprint in the article (as set out above), but even if it was it isn't exactly unknown for the articles to have some mistakes in them. For example:

Or you could fly Admiral Raddus aboard the Profundity, race your CR90 Corvette A around the enemy's flank, and bring both your Mon Karren and Garel's Honor into the battle positioned at your enemy's back.

That seems to be an error in that you couldn't bring in both those ships from the CR90; Garel's Honor would have to deploy from the Profundity. But that's another issue.

As to why Krennic for the second Commander; I think he is the most obvious remaining choice (unless there is an obvious Rebels Commander - I'm not too familiar with Rebels), given the theme of the Pack.

Yes, the same arguments against him being an Officer apply, except I'm assuming that there is a second Commander, whereas him being an Officer means that mystery card must be an Officer and must be him.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out there wasn't a second Commander - just a little disappointed in FFG. I'd also be happy if that second Commander was someone else. I just think that Krennic is a reasonable option.

41 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

There has never been an Armada expansion with more than one Commander/side. The only one with more than one Commander is the core set, and that has one Imperial and one Rebel.

The Imperials are not short a commander with respect to the Rebels, nor is there any other particular impetus that would suggest they need an extra one.

Your argument against making him an officer in this expansion applies doubly to making him a commander in it.

In fairness, they also have never had an expansion with a repaint of an existing model, a pair of never-before-seen squadrons packaged with it, or a slew of alternative ship cards for use on other expansions. I'm not for a second suggesting Krennic is in the box too, but the Chimaera is already an outlier in terms of Armada expansions.

I don't think he'll be in the set myself, but at this stage nothing would surprise me.

Edited by NakedDex

18 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

I think that there likely to be a second Commander based on the image. I don't think that requires a misprint in the article

The second commander in the spread is the misprint.

There 100% is a misprint in the article, because it contradicts itself. It says there are

two new commanders—one Rebel and one Imperial

and it shows a face down commander card. Neither is more likely to be wrong than the other because the marketing department made both.

One is in keeping with convention. The other would be a departure from it.

One would involve the marketing team failing to highlight or even mention a major departure from convention. The other would not.

One would involve giving the Imps a second commander that will be completely overshadowed by the arrival of the most-anticipated commander in the game that has been speculated about since release, because... reasons?

One possibility is reasonable. The other is not.

I'm not even going to start looking up recipes for Star Destroyer Stew because I won't have to make it.

Well... I'm not going 100% on anything. I'd say there's a 40% chance that the image is wrong (less likely than the article as articles have a long history of being wrong, technically it would be misleading not wrong, and I think more effort goes into checking the image than the article).

Yes, it would be unusual and a change, but there was no explicit mention of the lack of a Commander upgrade with the Nebulon-B, so not entirely unprecedented not to mention it. I'm not putting too much weight on the lack of explicit mentioning given that the card is facedown; so if it is included, they deliberately chose not to reveal any information about it in the image (suggesting either they want to hold it back for a surprise, or the haven't finished it yet).

If there is a second Commander I'd go with about 80% that it is Krennic (15-10% someone from Rebels, 5-10% someone else including someone we've already seen). Combining that gives us a little under 50% chance of having a Commander Krennic in the Pack. So not likely, not probable, but a reasonable possibility.

On Officer Krennic, first we need that mystery card to be an Officer; I'd put that at at most 20%, given its positioning, that there are 11 different types of upgrade card that could go on the new ISDs, 5 of which don't seem to be in the spread already (other than possibly that top, second-from-left). If it is an Officer, I'd say maybe 40% chance of it being Krennic (30% a non-unique officer, maybe 25% chance someone else from  Rebels or 5% Rogue One). That gives us a <10% chance overall.  Not impossible, but improbable.

So I'm not making any promises about eating things.

I'd prefer it if they told us more things, though. But I can wait.

It could be a reprinted commander.  They state 2 new commanders in the expansion, that doesn't mean a third reprinted commander is out of the question.  I stand by my previous predictions that the face down commander is Vader for new players that don't want to buy 2 ISD.

Edited by Thrindal

2 minutes ago, NakedDex said:

But... why would they promote not buying a second ISD when there's literally ship cards in the box to support a second (and third...) ISD? That's literally the opposite of the expansion's core concept.

I think those are for the old players that already have ISD(s).  Time will tell though.

3 hours ago, Ardaedhel said:

And I will hire a french chef, to prepare your meal, while I light the candle on your dinner table, as a violinist play "Imperial March" :lol::lol::lol:

Somehow "I got a bad feeling", that the ISD will upset your stomach ;)

Honestly, that logic doesn't track, and it's gone wildly into speculation to support a theory, rather than any objective thoughts. It's infinitely more plausible that there's a misprint in the spread than the mystery commander card being Vader "for new players", and the inclusion of retrofit cards was to placate older ones.

Keep the following in mind:

Vader is ok, but he's not stellar. He doesn't see a great deal of use right now, and certainly not enough to reissue him alongside Thrawn. Which brings me to...

Thrawn. He's in this box and he's fantastic for the price. Especially on ISDs, and at that price. Why would you not use him over Vader.

Motti. If ever there was a card to reissue elsewhere for new players who want to use large ships, it's going to be Motti, not Vader.

Refit ship cards. These aren't to make older players happy, they're to change up the gameplay of large ships and promote the use of pairs of ISDs. Yes, even to new players.

Upgrade cards. They're wildly different in both sets, and there are arguably better ones in there than Vader, not to mention title cards that you can literally build a list around.

On the off chance it's not a misprint and there is another commander, it's not going to be Vader. It just doesn't make sense, and it's not FFGs style. They're literally more likely to give him away for free as a participation prize at a kit event, as they've done exactly this with other difficult to get/single expansion cards in the past in both Armada and X-wing.