Sign in to follow this  
GrandAdmiralCrunch

New Picture from Battlefront II

And yes, I have seen it. 5 times.

A ratty old VHS of it was used as the film night film for the AIRTC / RAAF-C cadets who were otherwise segregated due to disciplinary action. I was just the poor bastard who had to supervise them on the occasion.

4 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Yes.

Ewoks appeal to kids, as JarJar did. Kids grow into proper fans.

and the Christmas special, well:

"You cannot know what is Good without knowing what is truly Bad. To claim otherwise is to profess the greatest of Arrogance."

Well, I think we can all agree that while the bad has value that we would prefer there to be less of it than the good. 

Of course that is subjective.

my main problem with the growing gigantism is that it limits new toys to be used in my favorite games. We already have the AT-AT and SSD missing, and are highly questionable if we will ever see them. The list keeps getting longer with the new movies.

16 minutes ago, melminiatures said:

I'm starting to see a design pattern here....

pic3725896.jpg

I can't put my finger on what the pattern is... but I think it's there...

They've already said Snoke is grossly grandiose. This isn't all that surprising a trend.

Plus you could make this same chart with the Empire compared to the Rebellion, the Empire made everything bigger then their Republic counterparts.

Edit: Not meant to sound snarky ;) Sorry if it did.

Edited by Forresto

What I dislike it's that it's the same shapes upscaled. If you see them out of context they don't look like one is that much bigger than the other.  For example, you look at the ATTE and the AT-AT and you can tell how big they are compared to each other. The cockpit, guns, details, they are all the same size in diferent sized bodies. These two have the same proportion of cockpit body and legs and they are completely different sizes.

Other examples. If you look at the Executor and a Star Destroyer, things like the thrusters, the bridge or the side rim help you realise that the Executor is MUCH bigger. On the other hand the Dreadnaught feels completely out of scale. The rim is huge, the bridge is huge, it has two gigantic guns... all of them completely out of scale with the stablished ships.

-shrugs- it doesn't remotely bother me, it's a familiar shape on a frame that makes a degree of sense.  Big ship, big bridge, big guns: WW1 destroyer vs. WW2 battleship, basically every flat top carrier, De Havlin Mosquito vs. C130, etc.  They all have similar designs that scale.  And it still doesn't feel as egregious as the old carrack "Winnebago" class light cruiser.  

Immersion is like personality, it's can be deep or it can be shallow depending on the person involved.  If I'm already suspending disbelief enough to mentally allow 25m tall camel-class combat walkers to be called 'intimidating', I'm fine with the 35m tall simian-style variant. 

Aw lawdy you lot are a jaded cynical bunch, I do declah'

3 hours ago, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

I don't know... is the world better for having Ewoks? Jar Jar? The Christmas Special?

There has been some pretty questionable content with the Name Star Wars attached to it. 

I have to say, having rewatched RotJ with my kids, that Ewoks may seem cutesy to adults but they are far and away better than the Gungans. Until they deploy the log traps, the only success the Ewoks have in that battle is to knock one storm trooper down. Mostly they die or run away (I'm pretty sure one even gets stepped on by the scout walker) and the scene where one mourns his buddy in the middle of the battle has real pathos. The cartoon rabbits die by the truckloads and no one cares (including the audience).

3 hours ago, Vykes said:

Immersion is like personality, it's can be deep or it can be shallow depending on the person involved.  If I'm already suspending disbelief enough to mentally allow 25m tall camel-class combat walkers to be called 'intimidating', I'm fine with the 35m tall simian-style variant. 

Aw lawdy you lot are a jaded cynical bunch, I do declah'

And next will be, that Finn, Poe and Rey travel through a dimensional time portal to an alternate Star Wars universe, where Gorillas is dressed in white stormtrooper armor... :huh::huh::huh:

44 minutes ago, Kiwi Rat said:

And next will be, that Finn, Poe and Rey travel through a dimensional time portal to an alternate Star Wars universe, where Gorillas is dressed in white stormtrooper armor... :huh::huh::huh:

latest?cb=20130222171536

To be fair, Disney cut the four eyed gorilla-corps out by killing the EU....

... so far. 

I'm probably in the minority of people that like the AT-M6, it does have a bit of a stupid name. Though it is a artillery piece that is meant to fire from its back...so if thats the case why is it so big? Like not only does it need to be turned to its target it needs to angle itself enough to get a clear line of fire from the cannon on its back, meaning that if you get close enough to it that cannon is utterly useless. 

21 hours ago, Warlord Zepnick said:

Poor writing. The TFA script was horrendous.

Whoa, whoa. Ill be first to admit it wasnt Shakespear, but I doubt 'horrendous' is the appropriate descriptor here.  Run of the mill at worse.

I like to poke fun at things i like, so ill admit ut had its problems. Most of them were on the originality front, light charater development(poe, felt like an exmachina), the leia and han dialog was a little ham fisted. But aside from that decent scrip executed well by good actors. They were as light as star wars can go on beating you to death with exsposition, or cardbord cutouts blurting out thier 'emotions'. They gave the viewer a litte credit and didnt spell out ever last exscrushiating detail. All in all I'd give TFA a B, needs improvement, but still good.

21 hours ago, Noosh said:

On 9/3/2017 at 9:23 AM, Warlord Zepnick said:

Poor writing. The TFA script was horrendous.

Whoa, whoa. Ill be first to admit it wasnt Shakespear, but I doubt 'horrendous' is the appropriate descriptor here.  Run of the mill at worse.

I like to poke fun at things i like, so ill admit ut had its problems. Most of them were on the originality front, light charater development(poe, felt like an exmachina), the leia and han dialog was a little ham fisted. But aside from that decent scrip executed well by good actors. They were as light as star wars can go on beating you to death with exsposition, or cardbord cutouts blurting out thier 'emotions'. They gave the viewer a litte credit and didnt spell out ever last exscrushiating detail. All in all I'd give TFA a B, needs improvement, but still good.

Agreed!

I really like TFA, and even defend the subjects of your friendly criticisms. I see what you're saying about Poe, though I thought he was a lot of fun. The Han and Leia dialog being a little awkward seems apropos given that they find themselves in a very awkward emotion-laden situation, where they have bigger fish to fry than hurling blame at one another. They seem to really be trying to get along as best as they can under the circumstances.

Regarding the First Order and its Mega-ness, it actually feels like it is actually trying to compensate for something. Not the 'something' that we usually mean by 'compensate for something', but it does feel like they're trying to compensate for some inadequacy. Kylo Ren certainly has it in comparison to Darth Vader. General Hux also clearly has issues. Maybe Snoke does too, or Snoke is playing on those issues in order to get out of his minions (including his military designers) what he wants of them.

Or, maybe the creators are making the First Order antithetical to Yoda's statement of "size matters not."

Or, maybe the creators themselves have issues, but I'd prefer to believe that the pathologies are in-world rather than manifestation of the creators' (ie. JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson) own psychoses.