Hawkstrike

Intimidated by Terrain

63 posts in this topic

With the holidays approaching, I wanted to provide one additional, low cost option.

Michaels will soon start selling winter-trees, that will scale well with 28-35mm miniatures.  Along with some white fabric, it can make a cheap winter battlefield for Star Wars: Legion, or really any miniature game.  Michaels often has 40% off coupons, so the tree can be obtained quite inexpensively.

Along with some scenary off Ebay, you can have a pretty good 3x3 table.

Frostgrave+4.jpg

More pictures here:

http://mezmaronslair.blogspot.com/2017/03/winter-tabletop-gaming-scenery-by.html

Yeah, it's one of the bigger turnoffs of this for me, too.

Don't get me wrong, everything I've seen people post looks phenomenal.  I just don't think I'm ready to dedicate an entire room of my house to this yet.

@subtrendy2

You don't start off building terrain that way.  It's a disease that starts very slowly and eventually leads up taking up a room's worth of space.  The disease spreads slowly early on because of failures but if you stick with it, you'll give it a chance to continue to infect you.  Interaction with other's who you can learn from helps to spread the disease faster.

Come on, jump in.  The water's fine!

Regards,

Chris

Megatronrex and Force Majeure like this

17 hours ago, subtrendy2 said:

Yeah, it's one of the bigger turnoffs of this for me, too.

Don't get me wrong, everything I've seen people post looks phenomenal.  I just don't think I'm ready to dedicate an entire room of my house to this yet.

Don't let the dedication of others turn you off. A pair of folding card tables, some colored felt or cloth, and some cheap and easy terrain objects will do fine. Everything but the tables can be tossed in a storage bin and chucked into the garage or shoved under the bed when not in use.

Diorama quality terrain tables are beautiful, but some something simple enough to get you I going is all you really need.

TUZ, C3POFETT and subtrendy2 like this

1 hour ago, Force Majeure said:

Yeah, and some of the terrain can double for your Christmas Village that your set up for the holidays.

Just me...? 

Now I'm picturing Imperial troops storming Santa's Village. AT-ATs stepping on reindeer, Stormtroopers mowing down ranks of curly shoe wearing elves, while Bing Crosby plays in the background. Good Times indeed.

TUZ and Force Majeure like this

3 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Yeah, and some of the terrain can double for your Christmas Village that your set up for the holidays.

Just me...? 

I once accidentally left a Chewbacca ornament on top of the TV cabinet while decorating the tree. I didn't realize I'd done it, or that I had left him in the Nativity scene that was also up there, or that they were the same scale, until my Mother starting throwing things at me...

Ahhh holidays with the family....

50 minutes ago, Ghostofman said:

I once accidentally left a Chewbacca ornament on top of the TV cabinet while decorating the tree. I didn't realize I'd done it, or that I had left him in the Nativity scene that was also up there, or that they were the same scale, until my Mother starting throwing things at me...

Ahhh holidays with the family....

Assuming it was a Yoda for the manger and Old Ben to lead the wise men?

4 minutes ago, Basylle said:

Assuming it was a Yoda for the manger and Old Ben to lead the wise men?

Nope the rest was untounched as it was totally unintentional.

So the final product based on Chewbacca's placement was the gifts presented were Gold, Frankincense, Myrrh, and a 3PO series protocol droid (some assembly required).

10 hours ago, Ghostofman said:

Don't let the dedication of others turn you off. A pair of folding card tables, some colored felt or cloth, and some cheap and easy terrain objects will do fine. Everything but the tables can be tossed in a storage bin and chucked into the garage or shoved under the bed when not in use.

Diorama quality terrain tables are beautiful, but some something simple enough to get you I going is all you really need.

The first games of Warhammer Fantasy that I played at home started with blue masking tape to indicate a river, stacks of books to represent hills, boxes to represent buildings and pieces of weirdly shaped cut out paper labeled "forest".  You have to start somewhere.  You don't eat the terrain elephant all at once, just one bite at a time....

Allow what you see here to inspire you.  You will go through phases of wanting to scratch build everything to wanting to build kits, from wanting to build kits to learning more advanced scratch building stuff.  Don't self edit.  Just do what you can do to make something come out of your head and finish it.  You might think it's a complete work of art and then 3 months later think it's junk.  Take your time, make some mistakes and you'll find how sometimes mistakes are actually something useful to use later on.

Regards,

Chris

AldousSnow, Force Majeure and TUZ like this

You can easily build that terrain used in the demo in 3 hrs less if you have help, is't so simple any arts and craft kid can do it and it's cheaper than the game itself.

On 10/20/2017 at 7:45 PM, Glimfeather said:

The first games of Warhammer Fantasy that I played at home started with blue masking tape to indicate a river, stacks of books to represent hills, boxes to represent buildings and pieces of weirdly shaped cut out paper labeled "forest".  You have to start somewhere.  You don't eat the terrain elephant all at once, just one bite at a time....

Allow what you see here to inspire you.  You will go through phases of wanting to scratch build everything to wanting to build kits, from wanting to build kits to learning more advanced scratch building stuff.  Don't self edit.  Just do what you can do to make something come out of your head and finish it.  You might think it's a complete work of art and then 3 months later think it's junk.  Take your time, make some mistakes and you'll find how sometimes mistakes are actually something useful to use later on.

Regards,

Chris

This ...

I am BRAND new to this.  Intellectually curious; willing to try with just a little OCD.  It has been difficult to just plug away, when I have made a mistake, but he is dead on.  

Try something.  Use throw away items.  See what you can do.  See how it turns out.  Try to paint it.  Don't stop if not perfect.  

Sound advice. 

TUZ likes this