Sign in to follow this  
Visovics

Mega Star Destroyer

I kind of understand the the immediate gut reaction but I can't help but feel people might be over critical on the size. Just to put it in perspective the death star is bigger, they built the second one in about 5 years, and they can move and fly through hyperspace. People tend to overlook the size because they are a bit used to it and it uses the term "base" but in a practical sense it is no different than a giant battleship.

The name "Mega" is dumb though.

2 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

The First Order comes in two components. One is "Imperials rebuilding in the Unknown Regions" (which the New Republic and the Resistance don't know about- at least not early on) and the other component is "New Republic Separatists - a few worlds within the New Republic which seceded and started calling themselves the First Order.

Because the New Republic only know about the second component - they underestimate them - not seeing them as a threat.

It's possible that "Evil BB-8" was built in the New Republic by those who would later become secessionists - and went with them when they seceded.

Ah, thank you, I wasn't aware of the secessionist aspect of the new order.

2 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

First Order: "As for me, I will find a level beyond super destroyer!"

Resistance:  "So, what? Like a 'Mega destroyer'?

Resistance: "oh 'Ultra destroyer'?

First Order: "You're mocking me me..."

Resistance: "Maximum over-destroyer!"

What did Snoke say about Luke's midochlorian count?

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!11!1!!

(sorry guys. I had to)

26 minutes ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

So, on "evil" BB8...

I was under the impression after reading the Aftermath series that the BB series of droids were made with the intention to be therapy droids, or at least a continuation of that line. It also made way too much sense when I watched TFO again and saw how BB8 behaved, and it really made the childish antics and obsessive connection to Poe more believable to me, considering that he's basically Poe's PTSD dog.

Now I could be wrong here, but to me that would make "evil" BB8 a therapy droid for someone in TLJ, which would be odd since The New Republic designed the BB series and The First Order was outside the ******* galaxy during the initial run and improvements of the BB series.

So either someone high up said "dude, BB droids are awesome, build me a black one" or Disney just wants to sell toys and doesnt give a **** about explaining it.

I always thought the BB series was an astromech line, JJ Abrams I think said it was like the new R2 like that it was a better line (HAH!) and more amble to traverse spaces better than the R series. I've always had issues with them as an astromech line though, they only have six possible tools in their bodies with only four possibly being used at one time, and with the ball mechanic it really seems like it wouldn't be able to magnetize itself and move around making repairs to the outer hull impossible. If they were a therapy droid though it makes more sense then what I've seen so far.

1 hour ago, Drasnighta said:

For reference, can I know the value of a Single Stupid, so I can appropriately apply the metric modifiers going forward? :)

Easy to answer: split this giga stupidity in a billion parts of the same size. Pick one of them: It's a Single Stupid! ;)

Just now, Blinkus Maximus said:

What? You didnt like getting a game specifically for exciting dogfighting, just to be forced to fight giant floating things that barely move covered in a bunch of stupid guns?

Well, at least Aigaion and friends had the decency to float and move.

Dat railgun tho.

10 minutes ago, DiabloAzul said:

That was one fun, exciting and good-looking game.

With stupid boss fights.

I remember playing that mission on the hardest difficulty. I thought it was definitely the final mission because it took me several days to beat it. Boy was I wrong. Go kill the ******* railgun at the north pole, fly inside it and blow it up. 

I really want to play it again. Too bad I only got PC.

4 minutes ago, DiabloAzul said:

Well, at least Aigaion and friends had the decency to float and move.

Dat railgun tho.

Would have made more sense to destroy the supporting structure. Or the barrel. But hey, that's not good story telling.

3 minutes ago, lordkane995 said:

The only way the size of this think makes sense is if it serves as the actual base of the First Order (i.e. it's more of a space station than a war ship).

It is their shipyard, where they build and repair ships- so that fits. (they might have others, but this one is special because it's mobile and heavily armed).

Edited by Ironlord

3 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

It is their shipyard, where they build and repair ships- so that fits. (they might have others, but this one is special because it's mobile and heavily armed).

Don't worry, they'll probably never show that aspect of it before it gets blown up in a trench run by Poe and Finn flying the millennium falcon at the end of episode 9 while Rey duels with Kylo on the bridge while Snoke watches from a swivel chair.

3 minutes ago, Blinkus Maximus said:

Don't worry, they'll probably never show that aspect of it before it gets blown up in a trench run by Poe and Finn flying the millennium falcon at the end of episode 9 while Rey duels with Kylo on the bridge while Snoke watches from a swivel chair.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

26 minutes ago, ImpStarDeuces said:

I kind of understand the the immediate gut reaction but I can't help but feel people might be over critical on the size. Just to put it in perspective the death star is bigger, they built the second one in about 5 years, and they can move and fly through hyperspace.

The Death Stars are vastly larger by volume at least.

Just now, ImpStarDeuces said:

Which is why the criticism for the mega being too big seems odd to me. There's plenty to critique but size has never really been an issue with star wars.

The main difference is the ship isn't called a Space Station, but a Star Destroyer.

There was something of an outcry from Curtis Saxton of Star Wars Technical Commentaries about this for the Executor "A big Star Destroyer cannot be 10x as long as a small Star Destroyer - we have to invent new titles like Star Cruiser, Star Battlecruiser, and Star Dreadnought"

Now, we have a "Mega-class" Star Destroyer which looks to be over 10x as wide as Executor is long, and over 10x as long as Executor is wide. Roughly the same size gap between the Executor and this, as there was between the Imperial Star Destroyer and the Executor.

That's probably part of the reason for the "too big" reaction.

7 minutes ago, ImpStarDeuces said:

Which is why the criticism for the mega being too big seems odd to me. There's plenty to critique but size has never really been an issue with star wars.

I think the design is cool. But the logistics of it seem too big. It's pretty clear this was made by a director who wants to inspire awe in people who don't follow Star Wars lore, not for the people who actually care about Star Wars.

6 minutes ago, ImpStarDeuces said:

It's more that it's the NEWER, BIGGER, BETTER SSD! It's another thing the sequels just made more bigly and said "its even better than the one in the original trilogy!", and that annoys long time fans of the universe.

Because there was SO MUCH expanded universe stuff they could have done (Yuuzhan Vong, Luke's Academy, or just come up with something 100% new) and instead they said "**** that, we'll do the empire again, but with more mega stuff". 

Complaining about the size is just a symptom of the overwhelming disappointment that the sequels have brought to the table so far. Not that it's all bad, there is a gem here and there, but the fact we have to search for them and read the books to truly appreciate them is annoying as ****.