Sign in to follow this  
Visovics

Mega Star Destroyer

Thinking on it, it's a pretty smart design for a flagship. The big downside would be that they could focus fire in a wing and if it comes off it's a huge loss for the FO or the front exposed to fire, and the way to fix it is to make it gigantic, so that taking a wing off is like shredding an SSD in half and targeting there is so much hull that the bridge looks inexistent and must have a lot of point defense turrets for when anything comes near, it's a pretty smart flagship design

And it will be taken out by a simple starfighter for another Imperial/FO super weapon with a horrible horrible return on investment.

This is the first new design I've seen that I actually like though. Well, aside from suffering from the "just make it like 100x bigger!!!!!!!" syndrome of the sequel ship design so far. 

2 minutes ago, Badly Browned said:

And it will be taken out by a simple starfighter for another Imperial/FO super weapon with a horrible horrible return on investment.

This is the first new design I've seen that I actually like though. Well, aside from suffering from the "just make it like 100x bigger!!!!!!!" syndrome of the sequel ship design so far. 

I don't think a starfighter can get anywhere near that thing without being obliterated, it's like its own city

39 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

Screen grab for anyone interested:

q2fBrr9.png

Looks a bit like the Viscount-class Star Defender - assuming that it is flying top-right to bottom-left. It could be going the other way.

Sooo, is someone going to start a "bring the Supremacy to Armada" thread? Why settle for the SSD? With this thing you could have Armada battles happening inside a ship that is participating in an Armada battle (Armadception? :D)

Love to see it do an inside turn with the manoeuvre tool. Not sure Jerjerrod will quite cut it....

56 minutes ago, Visovics said:

It's 60 km, I don't know where you're from, but I think that's kinda small for a state

Until they retcon it - it's 60km one way, 240 or so km the other. Seems like a reasonable small state or large county (in British terms).

2 hours ago, xanderf said:

[...] sometimes I really think directors need to reign in the SFX guys more than they do. [...]

Interestingly, the SFX guys are completely subsidiary to the directors wishes! At least to some level anyway.

The director asks for something, the art people design it and then the director approves it.

I'm so glad this community is laughing at the designs of this upcoming movie. Yesterday I stumbled across an article that actually called the "evil" BB-8 droid "Genius." Yeah, that kinda worked in the Darth Vader comic book, but hey, that was a COMIC BOOK.

I thought I was losing my mind. Sticking the visual equivalent of a goatee on a robot isn't genius, it's a well worn out trope. I've relegated myself to the mindset of "I hope my son enjoys this movie," because based on what I've seen so far it seems like it could be 2 hours of baseline attempts at marketing. 

Edited by Flavorabledeez

I really like the design of the supremacy. It's a space triagle but different enough to shake things up.  The size.... Ah well the size is um.....

Let's just say snoke must have lost something down there when he lost half his face. "Everything must be laughably "mega" to compensate for my missing manhood.

19 minutes ago, Rune Taq said:

I really like the design of the supremacy. It's a space triagle but different enough to shake things up.  The size.... Ah well the size is um.....

Let's just say snoke must have lost something down there when he lost half his face. "Everything must be laughably "mega" to compensate for my missing manhood.

I agree that the shape opens up possibilities, for example having a large forward firing arc as well as the possibility to turn those same turrets aft.

But like it or not, size is part of the design, and this whole bigger is better philosophy is nonsense.

I would've rather the First Order had to deal with limited resources and their designs reflect that. You can still have things perform similar functions to the Empire, but it would take more of them as they'd be smaller. Kind of a "we need these quicker to get back in this fight" mentality.

Edited by Flavorabledeez

1 hour ago, Ironlord said:

Now that I look it up: Rhode Island (one of the smallest states) is 60km by 77km:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_Island

So - "as long as Rhode island is wide".

Ok, that thing is definitely huge then O.O

1 minute ago, Darth Lupine said:

I'm.....torn on this. I was torn on the Finalizer too, but it grew on me. We will see.

Hoping to see a closer look, for now, I think it's ugly,  I like the finalizer and the Mandator IV, but I thought this one the only "bad guys intimidating factor" comes from the absurd size, it doesn't look like a particularly intimidating ship by it's horizontal design, hoping more details on it will make me change my mind