Sign in to follow this  
Visovics

Mega Star Destroyer

I rather like it. But it does seem like a huge size jump - the previous longest ship was the Executor - and this is over 3x as long, and of the order of 10x as wide as the Executor is long.

Now that the DS2 is confirmed to be 200km wide (junior ROTJ Ryder Windham novel rereleased updated for the newcanon) this ship appears to be wider than that Death Star.

At least the ship design is "original" enough, but that size is ridiculous.

Particularly if we are talking about length since it is much wider than longer. It would be 240km wide.

pic3722365.png

This thing is wider than a Death Star.

Edited by melminiatures

21 minutes ago, melminiatures said:

Particularly if we are talking about length since it is much wider than longer. It would be 240km wide.

pic3722365.png

A-wings won't tickle, you need to ram the bridge with a starhawk if you want to have a chance against that

40 minutes ago, melminiatures said:

pic3722365.png

I read it as 60km from side to side. Are you sure they didn't mean that?

11 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

They did say "length" not "width" - though maybe they'll reveal that they meant width.

If it really is on the order of 240+ km wide, it makes me think of the SDSD Freudian Nightmare and its problems:

SDSD-Freudian-Nightmare.jpeg

That remains one of my favorite things ever, and I've wanted to run an RPG campaign set there for a long, long time.

In fact, I think I'll broach that concept again.

When I started playing West End's SW RPG (now soon out in a 30th Anniversary edition) the Executor SSDs were 8 km long.

That felt like more than enough (in a RPG you're more concerned with how things work and make sense in the setting).

Then it more than double in length. An oc a doubling in three dimensions increases volume by a factor of 8...

Anyway. 8. 19. Big numbers.

60?

Pure stupid.

10 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

When I started playing West End's SW RPG (now soon out in a 30th Anniversary edition) the Executor SSDs were 8 km long.

That felt like more than enough (in a RPG you're more concerned with how things work and make sense in the setting).

Then it more than double in length. An oc a doubling in three dimensions increases volume by a factor of 8...

Anyway. 8. 19. Big numbers.

60?

Pure stupid.

To be fair, the 8km length was always obviously wrong.  I mean, from ESB...

SW_Executor_01.jpg

...that sucker was very clearly bigger than 5 times as long as a star destroyer.

But...I mean...you're not wrong.  The WEG size definitely 'felt right' - it resulted in a stupidly oversized ships, but, hey, Empire, so yeah.  In the end, it felt at least plausible.  What ended up on-screen was...I mean...I dunno, sometimes I really think directors need to reign in the SFX guys more than they do.

(And that seems doubly true for this new trilogy)

While the size itself is questionable - there's a certain amount of precedent for "flying wing" spaceships in Star Wars.  And I think it looks more graceful than the Mandator IV at least.

I wonder if the reason the SSD Eclipse survived in the Aftermath novel series - was that they were planning on doing a "TESB-style" shot - with an Executor instead of an ISD being cast into shadow by the much larger vessel?

I'm thinking Snoke has a philosophy that the bigger you are the more powerful you look and the better you establish a position above others, after all, didn't Snoke also have the hologram make him gigantic? I'm betting here that Snoke thinks the bigger the better

The design team for these new Star Wars movies must specifically hate Armada. They're making all their new ships too big to be in this game! Even the one from Force Awakens is pretty giant compared to the Star Destroyer. I bet you the obligatory new rebel flagship will be 10km at least just for the sake of it. They'd be better off not putting these nerdy details about the ship's dimensions out there, the nerds would be happier to figure out a scale themselves rather than deal with making sense of all these overfed spaceships that keep popping up.

Edited by Bike Stunts

2 minutes ago, Bike Stunts said:

The design team for these new Star Wars movies must hate specifically hate Armada. They're making all their new ships too big to be in this game! Even the one from Force Awakens is pretty giant compared to the Star Destroyer. I bet you the obligatory new rebel flagship will be 10km at least just for the sake of it. They'd be better off not putting these nerdy details about the ship's dimensions out there, the nerds would be happier to figure out a scale themselves rather than deal with making sense of all these overfed spaceships that keep popping up.

I'd expect a resistance flagship to be one of the new Starhawks

Just now, Visovics said:

I'd expect a resistance flagship to be one of the new Starhawks

It looks like it will be called the Raddus, and be teardrop shaped, a bit like the EU's Viscount. Maybe we'll get a similar snippet for the Raddus the way we got one for the Supremacy?

4 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

It looks like it will be called the Raddus, and be teardrop shaped, a bit like the EU's Viscount. Maybe we'll get a similar snippet for the Raddus the way we got one for the Supremacy?

I'm not sure if this is a joke ?.

If not, where did you get that information?