demon3o5z

Lady Rebels

44 minutes ago, Iceeagle85 said:

You are right of course this is all fictional and for fun not to comment on real life problems. And as said I personally don't have a problem with a gender split, some of course might have but that probably is just human nature. I think I just got triggered by that 50/50 because I have heard that so many times in real life that we have to achieve it or get as close as possibly to it and as said I think it's a little unrealistic and I would be happy if everyone got the same fair chance, if that leads to 50/50 fine if not it's also fine to me.

But as we are taking about gender, what about droids? I know technically they have no gender but C3PO, K2SO and the one from Kotor have male voices so are there female droids/droids with female voice ? ;)

Droids do have 'gender' specifically male or female programming but all it really does is just makes it so their voice is either male or female sounding more than anything. 

40 minutes ago, Kojib said:

C-3P0 [...] had masculine programming.

It did? Voiced by a male actor, certainly. But, when I think of C-3P0... masculinity is probably the last thing that comes to mind. He comes across as genderless as R2-D2 - some might consider him (in a sexist way) very feminine.

1 hour ago, Kojib said:

Don't think I've ever seen a wheelchair in star wars, even if it was a Professor X style one.

Would they need wheelchairs? Luke had a robotic hand that seemed to be wired to his brain somehow. So I don't think there is any type of injury they couldn't fix with robotics. Vader was mostly robotic, legs for sure(If I remember correctly), not sure about arms.

Edited by Mantose262

1 hour ago, Wired4War said:

Why does the idea of a more canonical gender representation of tiny plastic toys make some of you so insecure you feel you have to fight it? 

Is anyone actually fighting it?  I see someone questioning if a 50/50 mix is needed, and 50/50 isn't canon.  Canonically there's a lot more men in the Rebel Alliance then women, at least in every source I've seen.

Is anyone saying "I won't buy it if there's more women mini's!!!!"  No.  No one is even suggesting that there shouldn't be women on both sides, in fact I'd say everyone agrees there should be female troopers... Although how easy it's going to be to pick out the men from the women is questionable... But the one pic posted here does seem to have what is clearly a woman, and one that is IMO well done.  

I have to wonder why you feel the need to attack someone for stating an opinion that doesn't align 100% with yours.

21 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Droids do have 'gender' specifically male or female programming but all it really does is just makes it so their voice is either male or female sounding more than anything. 

So I searched a little bit and found these things: Droid Spa, BD-300 Luxury Droids (one can be seen in the Spa about 0:27) so there seem to be female looking droids. And this claims there might be a female droid in the Han Solo movie.

14 minutes ago, Mantose262 said:

Would they need wheelchairs? Luke had a robotic hand that seemed to be wired to his brain somehow. So I don't think there is any type of injury they couldn't fix with robotics. Vader was mostly robotic, legs for sure(If I remember correctly), not sure about arms.

Precisely, this is my argument. There's no reason disabled people couldn't operate as part of the front line of the Rebel Alliance with tech like that. In fact I'm sure there is canon fiction where they do. Luke is a good example of that. So why not show that? 

1 minute ago, Kojib said:

So why not show that? 

Who says they don't?

There's no way to tell that Luke's hand wasn't the one he was born with, until he got shot.  in Star Wars they don't tend to have obvious cybernetics so any one of the troopers (rebel or storm) could have a replacement limb or even more and you'd never be able to see it.

Besides any sort of realistic combat gear is going to cover up enough of the body that even if you had a leg/arm/whatever that was obvious, you wouldn't see it when they're kitted out.

1 hour ago, Kojib said:

Some are more noticeable than others, like Twi-Leks, but lets not forget that most Star Wars Aliens come in two genders too. I've no idea what the difference between male and female Ithorians is ahahah

Well according to SWIA there is no differential in the appearance from male to female Ithorians. The Ithorian represented in the Bespin Gambit Expansion pack is in fact a female Ithorian. Aside from the "earrings" the miniature wears they both look identical.

I would like to see an Ithorian squad, a Quarren squad, a Gran squad and a Mon Calamari squad.

I really want to see a Death Star Trooper squad.

How about a Bith squad maybe they could put down their cantina band instruments long enough to kick a little Imperial tail. I mean WotC miniature game gave them a rebel figure.

1 minute ago, VanorDM said:

Who says they don't?

There's no way to tell that Luke's hand wasn't the one he was born with, until he got shot.  in Star Wars they don't tend to have obvious cybernetics so any one of the troopers (rebel or storm) could have a replacement limb or even more and you'd never be able to see it.

Besides any sort of realistic combat gear is going to cover up enough of the body that even if you had a leg/arm/whatever that was obvious, you wouldn't see it when they're kitted out.

I get that. This is detracting from my initial point about Female Rebels. The point was that with this tech there isn't anything holding people back from being soldiers, and that itself puts down the outdated arguments that people put forward in the modern day for why Women shouldn't serve on the armed forces. It wasn't anything anyone on here mentioned, I was jumping the gun. 

However to your point, although my only example ahah I'd day Saw Gerrera has a cybernetic leg that is very evident and clear. 

I'm not at all suggesting that every rebel should be made up of cybernetic enchancements. I'm putting the idea forward that they are a diverse and mixed group of individuals from all parts of the Galaxy, that are united in this one effort to liberate it from the Empire. 

Saw Gerrera has a cybernetic leg that is very evident and clear. 

That was done for an effect... To make him look like a battle scarred vet, and one without the resources to get something better.

I'm putting the idea forward that they are a diverse and mixed group of individuals from all parts of the Galaxy, that are united in this one effort to liberate it from the Empire. 

And there's nothing stopping anyone from having exactly that... If you want to paint something so it has a cybereye or something you can do that.  With a little bit of work you could even do a leg or arm.  But if they're modeled that way, then everyone has to do it the same way and that's not ideal.

Plus we're talking about rank and file troops here, they should be rather generic.  I wouldn't mind seeing another alien in the mix, but out of 7 troopers you have 1 female and one alien... That's pretty good variety really, when you're dealing with trooper type models.

13 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

And there's nothing stopping anyone from having exactly that... If you want to paint something so it has a cybereye or something you can do that.  With a little bit of work you could even do a leg or arm.  But if they're modeled that way, then everyone has to do it the same way and that's not ideal.

Since we are assembling these miniatures why not include some optional limbs to represent cybernetics. You could choose whether or not to assemble them.

Just now, C3POFETT said:

Since we are assembling these miniatures why not include some optional limbs to represent cybernetics.

Because the models aren't made up of that many pieces... It's not like 40k models where you have a sprue with extra arms and such and you can mix and match.  These models will tend to be mostly put together already and have slots/grooves that make it very hard to put the wrong part on a model.  

Making extra limbs would be fairly hard to do with how these models are made.

46 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

Is anyone actually fighting it?  I see someone questioning if a 50/50 mix is needed, and 50/50 isn't canon.  Canonically there's a lot more men in the Rebel Alliance then women, at least in every source I've seen.

Is anyone saying "I won't buy it if there's more women mini's!!!!"  No.  No one is even suggesting that there shouldn't be women on both sides, in fact I'd say everyone agrees there should be female troopers... Although how easy it's going to be to pick out the men from the women is questionable... But the one pic posted here does seem to have what is clearly a woman, and one that is IMO well done.  

I have to wonder why you feel the need to attack someone for stating an opinion that doesn't align 100% with yours.

I am not referring to the majority of this thread, just the minority that have directly stated that women should be held on a pedestal, or that having women represented is "pandering". I have no problem attacking people with those oppressive ideas.

Just now, Wired4War said:

I have no problem attacking people with those oppressive ideas.

Then you should really quote the person you're responding to or at least include their name., rather than making some sort of blanket statement that doesn't really fit in the bulk of the discussion... That or just ignore the person.

Just now, VanorDM said:

Then you should really quote the person you're responding to or at least include their name., rather than making some sort of blanket statement that doesn't really fit in the bulk of the discussion... That or just ignore the person.

Ignoring would probably have been the best idea, I thought calling one individual out might start a flame war. Didn't mean to derail this very meaningful thread.

Anyway; women, aliens, and cyborgs are all awesome ideas I fully support.

Just now, Wired4War said:

Anyway; women, aliens, and cyborgs are all awesome ideas I fully support.

I agree, I think the mix of models in the trooper lines is quite nice.  

Interestingly enough, I heard that they can't do boffins any longer, because apparently they're being redesigned or something.  I think I'd rather of seen a Twi'lek then a Duros... Simply because I associate them with the RA more so.  Having both a male and female would of been ideal, but that would also cost more, and so I'd rather see a male simply because I've seen so many Twi'lek dancing girls in SWTOR and other places that you almost think that the only kind of Twi'lek is a girl.  

16 minutes ago, Wired4War said:

Ignoring would probably have been the best idea, I thought calling one individual out might start a flame war. Didn't mean to derail this very meaningful thread.

You could also message someone privately if you feel the need to "call them out".

52 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

I agree, I think the mix of models in the trooper lines is quite nice.  

Interestingly enough, I heard that they can't do boffins any longer, because apparently they're being redesigned or something.  I think I'd rather of seen a Twi'lek then a Duros... Simply because I associate them with the RA more so.  Having both a male and female would of been ideal, but that would also cost more, and so I'd rather see a male simply because I've seen so many Twi'lek dancing girls in SWTOR and other places that you almost think that the only kind of Twi'lek is a girl.  

We may very well get mom...  err... Hera.  

Bothans have reportedly been removed from the latest printing of the RPG in Germany.

3 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

I really hope that we get all the characters from Rebels... For display reasons if nothing else.

They would make a good special forces squad maybe.   That way we get them all together.   Or perhaps unique characters can be made, without being a leader, by themselves.   Example, Zeb counts as a corps by himself?

22 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Or perhaps unique characters can be made, without being a leader, by themselves.   Example, Zeb counts as a corps by himself?

I'd expect to see some characters as special types of units... But I wouldn't expect them to be corps myself.  But special or support I expect have named characters.

The OP asks a valid question. 

If Imperial Assault is any indicator, I don't think players wanting female representation have anything to worry about.

As someone who also lives in the south and has experience on both sides of a game store counter, I can say I've never seen any blatant instances of sexism. I've heard anecdotal friend of a friend stuff, or stories from people who are objectively a little unhinged...never anything related to Star Wars. Maybe I live in a nicer part of the southeast quarter of our giant nation, though.

If the game needs to scratch some political itch for some, or if the inclusion of any female characters is that big of a deal....you probably have other things to work out and should probably hold off playing games until you get sorted. Some of you need to quit capin'. 

3 hours ago, K Peterson said:

It did? Voiced by a male actor, certainly. But, when I think of C-3P0... masculinity is probably the last thing that comes to mind. He comes across as genderless as R2-D2 - some might consider him (in a sexist way) very feminine.

C-3PO and R2 both have masculine programming. Male/Female programming mostly just dictates if their voice is male or female and probably some general behavior sub rotinues to better interact with sentients and humanoid races, most likely humans by and large with some general body language and the like for protocol droids.  

3 hours ago, qwertyuiop said:

The OP asks a valid question. 

If Imperial Assault is any indicator, I don't think players wanting female representation have anything to worry about.

As someone who also lives in the south and has experience on both sides of a game store counter, I can say I've never seen any blatant instances of sexism. I've heard anecdotal friend of a friend stuff, or stories from people who are objectively a little unhinged...never anything related to Star Wars. Maybe I live in a nicer part of the southeast quarter of our giant nation, though.

If the game needs to scratch some political itch for some, or if the inclusion of any female characters is that big of a deal....you probably have other things to work out and should probably hold off playing games until you get sorted. Some of you need to quit capin'. 

Lol that you think wanting characters in a game that you can better relate to in order to provide deeper immersion is political.