Jump to content
demon3o5z

Lady Rebels

Recommended Posts

I actually just want to see more aliens, of whatever gender.  Not as unique units either (maybe in some cases), just mixed in to the Rebel units as they should be. 

Gender seems such an everyday thing to worry about when the setting contains asexually reproducing sentient plant Jedi that germinate every few centuries.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just obvious. FFG understands that the Rebel Alliance is full of hypocrites who claim high ideals but under the surface they are just greedy warlords who do not care about gender equality.
Yes, of course every other of these Stormtroopers is a brave women doing her duty in the peacekeeping forces of the imperial army.

Edited by Hannes Solo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Badly Browned said:

I could've sworn an FFG guy mentioned a female trooper during a demo. I think it was the one with the heavy machine gun?

A few of us are in that boat. I'm gunna have to re watch the demo's again! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Badly Browned said:

I could've sworn an FFG guy mentioned a female trooper during a demo. I think it was the one with the heavy machine gun?

Art on card of trooper with mg shows female, yes. But actual mini has beard :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new canon has has a large number of female characters; these are the few I remember off the top if my head.

Imperial/First Order

Cienna Ree

Rae Sloane

Iden Versio

Captain Phasma

 

Rebel/Resistance

Hera Syndulla

Sabine Wren

Jyn Erso

Nora Wexley

Shara Bey

Rey

Ahsoka Tano

Evaan Verlaine

Nakiri Kelen

Zal Dinnes

Laren Joma

Jessika Pava

 

from the Last Jedi

a-wing pilot Tallie

Rose and Paige Tico

Admiral Holdo

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange
Reasons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the point, within a miniatures game, is that the core of the force ideally should have a 50/50 split of male and female moulds.

Of course, I hope they do the same as much as they can with commander models, as there's clearly lots of named character to choose from, and I'm hoping they do the same on the imperial side drawing from the large canon that exists behind it. But- you only have two commanders max in your force.

so the point remains, make the core forces of the rebels (as the storm troopers are genderless behind their armour) an equal split male and female. It wasn't a rebellion of men. It wasn't mostly men. It's never stated anywhere that it was made up of more men than women, and therefore, It would be a step backwards for them to present it that way. 

You can argue that it's a little thing, that it would be 'PC to the extreme' or some other excuse, but the fact is, there need to be female sculpts. That doesn't mean super model bodies with massive racks, half naked, riding Acklay and Nexu in the vain of *some* miniatures games...

And on that note, I wanna see at least 1/3 of the force being aliens as well, of all shapes and sizes. The rebellion wasn't a rebellion of just humans, in fact it was the alien races that were subjugated by the empire the most. As far as I'm aware they were some of the first to rally to the cause.

50/50 male and female sculpts please.

Aliens for equal representation reasons.

I want an army of Mon Calamarians.

And sullustans.

And Ithorians.

Please...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, OldSchoolEmpire said:

Hmm, I think this topic is something that doesn't sit that high on the scale of importance to me. I would rather have an emphasis on great mechanics and game play, rather than the sculpts and what cup size they may or may not have.  

While the gameplay is paramount, the nature of this game, and the wargaming hobby, is the assembling and painting of the models as well.  

The inclusion of female characters, or minority characters, and the importance of such is not something that can be understood by most unless you are part of said (minority) group.  

The aesthetic of the rebel alliance is a rag tag diverse crew, fighting the oppressive and homogeneous Empire.    Diversity is necessary, and while I love having a duros, it is necessary to include more.  A female character is just as important as the alien ones.  

 

I hope we see Leia in an outfit like we see in the comics, or Hoth/bespin, or a female character that looks like Steela Garrera.  I would welcome FFG making some if their own characters for this game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, demon3o5z said:

I know I'm gonna get shouted down as an SJW, but I wanna bring this up anyway. I get that Stormtroopers are helmeted, so anyone can be behind the mask, but I'm kinda bummed we don't have female models for Rebel troopers. It's by no means game breaking, and I know doing more sculpts is more money, it's just kinda disappointing. It's kinda like how in Rogue One, when they were gathering troops for that assault on Scarif, all the soldiers that showed up were dudes. It didn't break the movie for me, but the lack of women (besides Jyn) detracted me, and pulled me out of the film for a moment.

After the "40k is for dudes!" mentality, I was just thinking it would be nice to get out ahead of this sort of thing.

With unbuilt minis, I know we can customize, but it'd be great if we wouldn't have to. This comes a lot from the "Star Wars for all" perspective, and I think the fewer barriers to that, the better.

Anyone else feeling the same way? Not necessarily turning your nose up at the game, just kinda irked by it?

The Alliance Raiders from IA are female sculpts so worst case scenario you might be able to try and sub one or two of those in to help with that in the event they don't have female sculpts at the outset.

15 hours ago, Cade Bulkin said:

Or how people complain about Forces of Destiny, Rae Sloan, etc., because of girls?  

I kind of would think that Forces of Destiny would be more complained about for say its art direction, and just being a short focused on those characters than something more grand like Rebels or Clones Wars. I know I've seen some people even complain that we are losing Rebels for that show, since it was announced and then they said that Rebels was ending. As a series of shorts I'm not really interested it and am more looking forward to them announcing another show by Dave Filoni that I can look forward to and enjoy, considering the push for the ST I'd expect something set during that time or leading up to the ST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kojib

Why exactly 50/50? I would like to have female miniatures and it seems there are some in the Core but why the percentages? 50/50 seems a bit unrealistic even if we would love in a perfect time and balanced society.

And no this does not mean I want more guys than girls I don't car about the distribution of genders/alien species as long as we get a good amount of all of them.

Edited by Iceeagle85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bernh said:

I almost sure that trooper to the left is a female. Slim body and breasts under the rifle, as I can see.

I agree, and in the picture I was looking at that model had it's back to the camera so you couldn't see it well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Iceeagle85 said:

@Kojib

Why exactly 50/50? I would like to have female miniatures and it seems there some in the Core but why the percentages? 50/50 seems a bit unrealistic even if we would love in a perfect time and balanced society.

And no this does not mean I want more guys than girls I don't car about the distribution of genders/alien species as long as we get a good amount of all of them.

I agree that good variety is the real key. If I have options, I can construct my army as all I see fit. All female... done. All Mon Calmari... done. A good mix... even easier. So on and so forth...

It might cost be a bit more, but at least it's an option.

If everything is a male human... they all look the same and I get to play only exactly that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Iceeagle85 said:

@Kojib

Why exactly 50/50? I would like to have female miniatures and it seems there some in the Core but why the percentages? 50/50 seems a bit unrealistic even if we would love in a perfect time and balanced society.

And no this does not mean I want more guys than girls I don't car about the distribution of genders/alien species as long as we get a good amount of all of them.

I say 50/50 because the ratio of human beings, in existance, is on average. 1:1. Obviously that isn't exact, some countries have minimally more men, and others minimally more women, but in existance. In the world. The average of men and women is 1:1.

I personally feel that this should be represented in the game. It's just a generally good way to encourage gender equality within a player base, when that is represented within the game itself as well. Especially since tabletop games, and especially hobbycraft miniatures games have a disappointingly small female player base. There's many reasons for that, and I'm sure female models is only one of a huge number of variables that come into it, but it just seems a good start to me. It wouldn't take anything away from the game, if anything it would only add to it.

I know this isn't in your point, but there's arguments I've encountered out there about the proportion of women in the armed forces as an argument against it. Id make the point that that is an issue of its own, but this is also Star Wars, where they have incredible technology. Blasters that one shot incinerate ahah Cybernetic enhancements. Medical technology like bacta and stims. Robot medics. A whole wealth of technology which in my view takes the naysayers of the role of women in the front lines in today's age and throws those 'arguments' out the window.

Flavour wise, the rebellion is massively short staffed. They can never match the empire in troops alone, they just don't have the numbers. They never did, every day was a struggle for supplies and resources of personnel especially. They'd take anyone willing to help their cause, be they male or female, human or alien. There's no reason I can think of why more men would join the rebellion rather than women. The inherent suggestion within that would be that the men fought for the rebellion meanwhile, what? The women didn't want to? They stayed at home? They had desk jobs? Ridiculous. Jyn Erso had the courage to go to Scariff alone if need be. I'm sure there were many women within the rebellion who felt the same.

Hope im not coming across as preachy! It's just a subject very dear to me. 

Edited by Kojib

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kojib said:

I say 50/50 because the ratio of human beings, in existance, is on average. 1:1. Obviously that isn't exact, some countries have minimally more men, and others minimally more women, but in existance. In the world. The average of men and women is 1:1.

Is it? Never knew that but as I said even in a world where jobs would be given to the most qualified person regardless of gender,skin color, religious beliefs and being ill or healthy we wouldn't have 50/50 everywhere because some people are interested in engineering others in medicine and so one. And because of that you will never have a 50/50 ratio in jobs more so if we are lokingt at the higher positions in a company, not everyone wants to be there. And even if the population is 50/50 who says the people who can work are split 50/50? This number would fluctuate daily as people die, are old enough to stop/start working, people immigrate and emigrate. As said I'm for more diversity everywhere but why many groups always want 50/50 I don't understand because I think even in said perfect world we will never have that.

And don't worry no preachiness detected here :D

Edited by Iceeagle85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Iceeagle85 said:

Is it? Never knew that but as I said even in a world where jobs would be given to the most qualified person regardless of gender,skin color, religious beliefs and being ill or healthy we wouldn't have 50/50 everywhere because some people are interested in engineering others in medicine and so one. And because of that you will never have a 50/50 ratio in jobs more so if we are lokingt at the higher positions in a company, not everyone wants to be there. And even if the population is 50/50 who says the people who can work are split 50/50? This number would fluctuate daily as people die, are old enough to stop/start working, people immigrate and emigrate. As said I'm for more diversity everywhere but why many groups always want 50/50 I don't understand because I think even in said perfect world we will never have that.

And don't worry no preachiness detected here :D

Those are all really fair points. If it were a stimulator of everyday life I'd say great. But its sci-fi, and its Star Wars, and Star Wars hasn't ever really gone into that place of commenting on socio-political issues. Don't think I've ever seen a wheelchair in star wars, even if it was a Professor X style one. And more importantly, this isn't a game commenting on those specifics of every day Star Wars living. Its a tabletop squad based war game. And I still don't see how having that gender split would be in any way detrimental to the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One problem I've had getting the women in my life into various games is not having female options.  People like to play characters/models/whatever that they can relate to in some way, and I've noticed that when games don't have a broad selection of both sexes it's way harder.  Which I can understand, I've passed on many games where I couldn't get into a particular faction or character. 

Corporations have been figuring this out for decades, that if you appeal to various groups of people, you can draw in groups of people that previously had no interest in your product.  A lot of gaming companies are really slow on the uptake though, and gaming communities don't make it easy a lot of times, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ghostofman said:

I know I'm gonna get shouted down as an SJW, but I wanna bring this up anyway. I get that Stormtroopers are helmeted, so anyone can be behind the mask, but I'm kinda bummed we don't have female models for Rebel troopers.

It might have been pointed out already but I have faith in FFG to make it a fair mix.

If you take a look at SWIA there is a decent amount of females in the game. Correct me if I am wrong but each box offered at least one female hero. The core set offering two female heroes one of which was a force user!

Jabba's Realm also added the Alliance Ranger Ally pack which consisted of three female troopers. So there is hope for all that the team in charge of Legion will do the same.

Rogue One did have a number of Rebel Pilots that were female, so the inclusion was there just not prevalent in the ground forces.

I think FFG is very in tune with its community and I don't see this being an issue for too long.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does the idea of a more canonical gender representation of tiny plastic toys make some of you so insecure you feel you have to fight it? There are absolutely no drawbacks for FFG to do so, but lots of benefits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the bigger desire would be to see more aliens in the rebel forces than humans and not just in specialized units. Not to mention if they had the odd figure here or there that had cyborg enhancements to replace limbs they lost in a battle or scars either way just showing that some of them would be veterans or people not going into their first battle/have been lucky so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some are more noticeable than others, like Twi-Leks, but lets not forget that most Star Wars Aliens come in two genders too. I've no idea what the difference between male and female Ithorians is ahahah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kojib said:

Those are all really fair points. If it were a stimulator of everyday life I'd say great. But its sci-fi, and its Star Wars, and Star Wars hasn't ever really gone into that place of commenting on socio-political issues. Don't think I've ever seen a wheelchair in star wars, even if it was a Professor X style one. And more importantly, this isn't a game commenting on those specifics of every day Star Wars living. Its a tabletop squad based war game. And I still don't see how having that gender split would be in any way detrimental to the game.

You are right of course this is all fictional and for fun not to comment on real life problems. And as said I personally don't have a problem with a gender split, some of course might have but that probably is just human nature. I think I just got triggered by that 50/50 because I have heard that so many times in real life that we have to achieve it or get as close as possibly to it and as said I think it's a little unrealistic and I would be happy if everyone got the same fair chance, if that leads to 50/50 fine if not it's also fine to me.

 

But as we are taking about gender, what about droids? I know technically they have no gender but C3PO, K2SO and the one from Kotor have male voices so are there female droids/droids with female voice ? ;)

Edited by Iceeagle85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Iceeagle85 said:

You are right of course this is all fictional and for fun not to comment on real life problems. And as said I personally don't have a problem with a gender split, some of course might have but that probably is just human nature. I think I just got triggered by that 50/50 because I have heard that so many times in real life that we have to achieve it or get as close as possibly to it and as said I think it's a little unrealistic and I would be happy if everyone got the same fair chance, if that leads to 50/50 fine if not it's also fine to me.

 

But as we are taking about gender, what about droids? I know technically they have no gender but C3PO, K2SO and the one from Kotor have male voices so are there female droids/droids with female voice ? ;)

Well I guess K2SO and C-3P0 both had masculine programming. So did HK in Kotor. There were robots in Kotor that had female programming, particularly the protocol droids, though I don't think it ever changed the physical design for them. I don't know tbh. It's true that there haven't been any named ones that I'm aware of. Disney seem to be on top of the representation thing though so if we're lucky we will get some in the movies to come which would be siiiiick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...