Jump to content
demon3o5z

Lady Rebels

Recommended Posts

I know I'm gonna get shouted down as an SJW, but I wanna bring this up anyway. I get that Stormtroopers are helmeted, so anyone can be behind the mask, but I'm kinda bummed we don't have female models for Rebel troopers. It's by no means game breaking, and I know doing more sculpts is more money, it's just kinda disappointing. It's kinda like how in Rogue One, when they were gathering troops for that assault on Scarif, all the soldiers that showed up were dudes. It didn't break the movie for me, but the lack of women (besides Jyn) detracted me, and pulled me out of the film for a moment.

After the "40k is for dudes!" mentality, I was just thinking it would be nice to get out ahead of this sort of thing.

With unbuilt minis, I know we can customize, but it'd be great if we wouldn't have to. This comes a lot from the "Star Wars for all" perspective, and I think the fewer barriers to that, the better.

Anyone else feeling the same way? Not necessarily turning your nose up at the game, just kinda irked by it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, demon3o5z said:

I know I'm gonna get shouted down as an SJW, but I wanna bring this up anyway. I get that Stormtroopers are helmeted, so anyone can be behind the mask, but I'm kinda bummed we don't have female models for Rebel troopers. It's by no means game breaking, and I know doing more sculpts is more money, it's just kinda disappointing. It's kinda like how in Rogue One, when they were gathering troops for that assault on Scarif, all the soldiers that showed up were dudes. It didn't break the movie for me, but the lack of women (besides Jyn) detracted me, and pulled me out of the film for a moment.

After the "40k is for dudes!" mentality, I was just thinking it would be nice to get out ahead of this sort of thing.

With unbuilt minis, I know we can customize, but it'd be great if we wouldn't have to. This comes a lot from the "Star Wars for all" perspective, and I think the fewer barriers to that, the better.

Anyone else feeling the same way? Not necessarily turning your nose up at the game, just kinda irked by it?

Star wars is for all, it really no big issue either way.  If they release females fine, if they dont, big deal.

 

Only sexist people imo harp on about 'oh there isnt enough females/males in this or that'

 

I heard they are remaking lord of the flies with an all female cast....just why.  Absolute nonsense.  Are the going to remake Charlies angels with an all male cast?  

 

No offense to you intended btw.

Edited by VAYASAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not irked by it but I wouldn't mind more female and more alien rebels. 

And about 40K is for dudes, I know quite the number of players who really want some plastic Sister of Battle models for years now. But yes it's a shame that the Cadians, which recruit everyone from a young age on, are only male.

Edited by Iceeagle85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GreatMazinkaiser said:

I was disappointed too, particularly since Battlefront had fixed this (which is one of the few things it did right). You'd think if you're gonna have seven poses per unit you could at make at least *one* of them female...

I was thinking about Battlefront as well, and I'd agree (also hoping BF2 doesn't suck). Now that parts of the franchise have taken steps, I find myself expecting it in other places now. The books, for example, have done a great job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Star Wars a small minority of rebel fighters were women. It doesn't make sense to me to act like they should be over represented in this game. 

Id like some female sculpts, I have no problem with that whatsoever, but I'm not sure they need to be in the core set. 

Besides, ffg is a business, they know we want them and it benefits them to sell them in an expansion to motivate us to buy them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, colinw94 said:

In Star Wars a small minority of rebel fighters were women. It doesn't make sense to me to act like they should be over represented in this game. 

I feel like this is less a reflection of the story and more a commentary on when the original movies were made. In a lot of the recent books the split has been more fifty fifty. I don't have numbers to back this up, but after reading Twilight Company, for example, I felt like there were a lot more women in the Rebel Alliance than we saw in the films.

5 minutes ago, colinw94 said:

Besides, ffg is a business, they know we want them and it benefits them to sell them in an expansion to motivate us to buy them. 

There's always this. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a bunch of female models in a special forces unit or something in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sk3tch said:

Wow that was wierd. I had convinced myself one of the figures was female.

There are two female models for rebel troopers in the coreset... At least that's what someone who saw it at gencon said.  Looking at one of the pictures from FFG there's 4 models that could be a woman in the set.  With the heavy coat and all it's actually hard to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sk3tch said:

Wow that was wierd. I had convinced myself one of the figures was female. Must have misheard something in a demo video.

It's a shame they are great with female named characters but all the grunts are a bunch of dudes. 

Maybe I missed something when looking over the couple demo videos I watched. Could be I missed something.

That's part of why I found it weird. In X-Wing, for example, they seemed to go out of their way to refer to some pilots as women, even if all we have is a call sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, VanorDM said:

There are two female models for rebel troopers in the coreset... At least that's what someone who saw it at gencon said.  Looking at one of the pictures from FFG there's 4 models that could be a woman in the set.  With the heavy coat and all it's actually hard to say.

Oh cool! I tried to look over the pics we got on the site before making this post, but it's hard to tell.

I guess I should go ahead and stick my foot in my mouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, demon3o5z said:

I know I'm gonna get shouted down as an SJW, but I wanna bring this up anyway. I get that Stormtroopers are helmeted, so anyone can be behind the mask, but I'm kinda bummed we don't have female models for Rebel troopers. It's by no means game breaking, and I know doing more sculpts is more money, it's just kinda disappointing. It's kinda like how in Rogue One, when they were gathering troops for that assault on Scarif, all the soldiers that showed up were dudes. It didn't break the movie for me, but the lack of women (besides Jyn) detracted me, and pulled me out of the film for a moment.

After the "40k is for dudes!" mentality, I was just thinking it would be nice to get out ahead of this sort of thing.

With unbuilt minis, I know we can customize, but it'd be great if we wouldn't have to. This comes a lot from the "Star Wars for all" perspective, and I think the fewer barriers to that, the better.

Anyone else feeling the same way? Not necessarily turning your nose up at the game, just kinda irked by it?

Anyone who shouts you down as an SJW for suggesting that it would be cool to have women figures in the game is an idiot.  People like that are the problem.  I've been playing x-wing for a while and I have never seen a single female at a tournament.  I only know a couple who play and they refuse to go to tournaments (and even most casual events) due to sexist assholes and the whole "X is for dudes!" mentality.  

I've been wanting to make a post for a while about this kind of thing.  FFG's games usually have a pretty good ratio of male/female figures, so I'm not too worried about that.  But, I do think we all need to make a point of making sure girls feel welcome at our FLGS and when we see a guy acting like an ***, call them out on it. 

Star Wars is for everyone.  The girl learning to play is not a fake fan because she has not read the Thrawn Trilogy.  But, you are a fake Star Wars fan if Leia didn't teach you how capable women are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, demon3o5z said:

Oh cool! I tried to look over the pics we got on the site before making this post, but it's hard to tell.

Well the two with what look to be like some sort of missile launcher could be women.  They're wearing fairly heavy coats, and have helmets on... So obvious female traits would be hard to see.  There's also two with blaster rifles held up to their eyes but they have their back to the camera so maybe?

All the other human troopers have some sort of facial hair so those are clearly men.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VanorDM said:

Well the two with what look to be like some sort of missile launcher could be women.  They're wearing fairly heavy coats, and have helmets on... So obvious female traits would be hard to see.  There's also two with blaster rifles held up to their eyes but they have their back to the camera so maybe?

All the other human troopers have some sort of facial hair so those are clearly men.  

Mk. Well I guess we won't really know until release then. I hope I'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cade Bulkin said:

Anyone who shouts you down as an SJW for suggesting that it would be cool to have women figures in the game is an idiot.  People like that are the problem.  I've been playing x-wing for a while and I have never seen a single female at a tournament.  I only know a couple who play and they refuse to go to tournaments (and even most casual events) due to sexist assholes and the whole "X is for dudes!" mentality.  

I've been wanting to make a post for a while about this kind of thing.  FFG's games usually have a pretty good ratio of male/female figures, so I'm not too worried about that.  But, I do think we all need to make a point of making sure girls feel welcome at our FLGS and when we see a guy acting like an ***, call them out on it. 

Star Wars is for everyone.  The girl learning to play is not a fake fan because she has not read the Thrawn Trilogy.  But, you are a fake Star Wars fan if Leia didn't teach you how capable women are.

The tournament aspect is the other side of this stuff. I like to hope that more representation on the table leads to more representation in players. Sounds like I might be wrong on that unfortunately. Wish we had a better way of addressing that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, demon3o5z said:

Well I guess we won't really know until release then.

I guess the question is... Is if you can't actually tell one way or another, like say with the ones with facial hair are clearly dudes.  But the others could quite easily be women, is that good enough?

I mean I know that if you look at a US Army soldier in full gear and were to not look at their face, it can be very hard to tell the sex.  So as long as can't tell for sure, then is there something wrong?  Any number of the stormtroopers could be women and we'd honestly have no way of knowing.

While I'm all for there being a mix, because it would make sense... That doesn't mean that it's a good idea to exaggerate things to the point that it's obvious what sex a model is, when in most cases you really couldn't tell.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, K Peterson said:

I'd like female rebel troopers just to have some variety in unit appearance. And if they're in the core set, excellent. (Equal opportunity... for force choking by Vader. ;) )

Variety! Yes! In just about every aspect of media, these days I find myself happy to see a woman on screen, or on the page, just for the sake of something different! On the table, you have the added bonus of a more interesting force to look at, and a better way to tell your troops apart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, demon3o5z said:

The tournament aspect is the other side of this stuff. I like to hope that more representation on the table leads to more representation in players. Sounds like I might be wrong on that unfortunately. Wish we had a better way of addressing that.

I think we have to work on both sides independently.  As they give us more female representation in Star Wars, we get sexist ******* complaining about it.  Remember when Episode 7/Rogue One was announced and people were upset that the main character is a girl?  Or how people complain about Forces of Destiny, Rae Sloan, etc., because of girls?  We need to call them out on that and let them know that they are being idiots.

It doesn't matter if there are 10,000 female characters in the game, if we keep letting sexist people act like jerks, girls will (understandably) stay away.
 

2 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

I guess the question is... Is if you can't actually tell one way or another, like say with the ones with facial hair are clearly dudes.  But the others could quite easily be women, is that good enough?

I mean I know that if you look at a US Army soldier in full gear and were to not look at their face, it can be very hard to tell the sex.  So as long as can't tell for sure, then is there something wrong?  Any number of the stormtroopers could be women and we'd honestly have no way of knowing.

While I'm all for there being a mix, because it would make sense... That doesn't mean that it's a good idea to exaggerate things to the point that it's obvious what sex a model is, when in most cases you really couldn't tell.  

Some of my Male IA figures are painted to look like women.  It's hard to do without them looking like it is makeup, but it works well enough for me and makes it feel a little more realistic.

I also give some of them cool facial scars and/or eyepatches.  I painted an ISB agent with blonde hair and Sunglasses so he would look like Albert-Wesker...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, demon3o5z said:

Wish we had a better way of addressing that.

Don't want to derail this... But you're dealing with a lot of inertia on both sides of this.  I've seen a girl at a number of X-Wing events, so they do show up for them.  I've never seen anyone do anything that I'd think would make them uncomfortable, and quite frankly this 'sexist gamers' is as much a stereotype as is 'girls don't game' and just as harmful.

Because all it really does reinforce the idea that girls aren't welcome at the LGS when they most times are.  Sure you may have the occasional social misfit, but those are normally dealt with and they exist everywhere.  But when people talk about how sexists gamers are it does little more then drive women away because they keep hearing how badly they'll be treated.

But regardless of all that, society still seems to view war gaming as something for boys, so it can be harder for a girl to get into it because of preconceived notions about the hobby.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

I guess the question is... Is if you can't actually tell one way or another, like say with the ones with facial hair are clearly dudes.  But the others could quite easily be women, is that good enough?

I mean I know that if you look at a US Army soldier in full gear and were to not look at their face, it can be very hard to tell the sex.  So as long as can't tell for sure, then is there something wrong?  Any number of the stormtroopers could be women and we'd honestly have no way of knowing.

While I'm all for there being a mix, because it would make sense... That doesn't mean that it's a good idea to exaggerate things to the point that it's obvious what sex a model is, when in most cases you really couldn't tell.  

This is a very good point! The other issue I have with 40k, just as an example, is when they do establish gender, it often becomes cartoonish. I'm hoping FFG will do little things to make minor distinctions, like the facial hair for dudes. If a few models have a slightly different shape or longer hair to imply gender in the same way as a beard, as long as it doesn't become a pinup character, I think that would be great.

I think in addition to those few characters with a little more distinction, you're spot on about not being able to tell when it comes to someone in full combat gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cade Bulkin said:

We need to call them out on that and let them know that they are being idiots.

To be fair, I think that whole thing was vastly over exaggerated and few people actually felt that way.  But those who did were very loud and everyone kept giving them the soapbox to shout from.

Same thing at the LGS, IME I've never seen a girl treated poorly or even differently because she's a girl.  If someone did act that way we'd take him aside and deal with it... We wouldn't make a deal about it and we wouldn't keep referring to the bad behavior.

I mean what's going to be more uncomfortable for someone...

A) Have someone behave badly, then have that person taken to the side and spoken to and then either apologizing or perhaps being asked to leave or...

B) Have someone behave badly and then everyone else keeps repeating "I can't believe you said 'She's got nice boobs!!!' don't you know how rude that is"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VanorDM said:

Don't want to derail this... But you're dealing with a lot of inertia on both sides of this.  I've seen a girl at a number of X-Wing events, so they do show up for them.  I've never seen anyone do anything that I'd think would make them uncomfortable, and quite frankly this 'sexist gamers' is as much a stereotype as is 'girls don't game' and just as harmful.

Because all it really does reinforce the idea that girls aren't welcome at the LGS when they most times are.  Sure you may have the occasional social misfit, but those are normally dealt with and they exist everywhere.  But when people talk about how sexists gamers are it does little more then drive women away because they keep hearing how badly they'll be treated.

But regardless of all that, society still seems to view war gaming as something for boys, so it can be harder for a girl to get into it because of preconceived notions about the hobby.  

That is very true.  I feel like the majority of gamers are not sexist.  It is usually only one or two guys.  However, in my experience, no one ever says anything to that guy and if you do, people will defend him (even if they don't agree, just because he is their friend).

Some of it also may be a regional thing.  Like I said, I've seen issues firsthand, but I live in the south which is usually less socially progressive.

We won't need to keep a stereotype from causing an issue, but we also need to acknowledge that there is an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...