Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, goncardoso said:

What's the difference between this RPG and EoE / AoR / FaD ones ? beside this one being retro ofc. I'm still trying to decide what should i buy

The 30th anniversary edition is a reprint of the West End Games award winning D6 system. It is radically different than FFGs narrative dice system. The D6 system works on skill represented by a dice code of how many 6 sided dice you roll. That number is added together and applied against either a target number or against an opponents roll to put it simply. It makes for fast and cinematic action and easily interpreted rolls with little ambiguity about it. The force powers are based similarly. Three force power control sense and alter and each has corresponding abilities that can be learned using singly or using a combination of the powers to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard mention of various ships which were invented by the WEG RPG. Is that true, or was that the 2nd edition or a sourcebook which naturally aren't part of this release?

I pre ordered this thinking it was just Original Trilogy. So if it did have things from EU it would be a cool little bonus.

Edited by Pilot Tho Makk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Pilot Tho Makk said:

I've heard mention of various ships which were invented by the WEG RPG. Is that true, or was that the 2nd edition or a sourcebook which naturally aren't part of this release?

I pre ordered this think it was just Original Trilogy. So if it did have things from EU it would be a cool little bonus.

If they're just sticking to the 1e version of the rules, then pretty certain that the amount of EU/Legends material is going to be at a minimum, as the bulk of the EU simply didn't exist at the time the the 1e version of the rules were published.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pilot Tho Makk said:

I've heard mention of various ships which were invented by the WEG RPG. Is that true, or was that the 2nd edition or a sourcebook which naturally aren't part of this release?

I pre ordered this thinking it was just Original Trilogy. So if it did have things from EU it would be a cool little bonus.

WEG 1st Edition is where the EU was truly born. Most of the vehicles and ships you see in the Bantam novels are from the WEG books. WEG 2nd Edition certainly continued to innovate, but, I’d say all the famous ones are in the Imperial Sourcebook, the Rebellion Sourcebook, and Tramp Freighters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Falconer2 said:

WEG 1st Edition is where the EU was truly born. Most of the vehicles and ships you see in the Bantam novels are from the WEG books. WEG 2nd Edition certainly continued to innovate, but, I’d say all the famous ones are in the Imperial Sourcebook, the Rebellion Sourcebook, and Tramp Freighters.

WEG continued to impress till the underserved end. It was not the first game I played but certainly was the best. Stock Ship's was another good sourcebook. I'm slowly recreating the collection I had in England. With smart purchases ebay has been very good for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't this release include The Star Wars Sourcebook in addition to the core rules? SWSB was really the first big blast of the EU. It's the book that named tons of alien species, provided details on their homewards, named ships, gave backstories on minor characters, etc. So to ask if there's EU in this release is the wrong question, since this book (with its two volumes) invented the EU alongside the Han Solo novels, the Lando novels, the Droids end Ewoks cartoons, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SavageBob said:

Doesn't this release include The Star Wars Sourcebook in addition to the core rules? SWSB was really the first big blast of the EU. It's the book that named tons of alien species, provided details on their homewards, named ships, gave backstories on minor characters, etc. So to ask if there's EU in this release is the wrong question, since this book (with its two volumes) invented the EU alongside the Han Solo novels, the Lando novels, the Droids end Ewoks cartoons, etc.

Don't forget splinter in the minds eye and the star wars holiday special. The corporate sector authority novels were great and showed the shade of grey Han was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Pilot Tho Makk said:

I've heard mention of various ships which were invented by the WEG RPG. Is that true, or was that the 2nd edition or a sourcebook which naturally aren't part of this release?

I pre ordered this thinking it was just Original Trilogy. So if it did have things from EU it would be a cool little bonus.

The only things in these two books that were not shown in the original trilogy are the Z-95 Headhunter from "Han Solo at Star's End," the Imperial Customs Frigate (created by West End Games?), swoop bikes from "Han Solo's Revenge," vibroblades from Brian Daley's Han Solo book trilogy,  and ... I think that's it.

The Sourcebook also includes a lot of concept artwork that was later transformed into actual stuff for the EU.

Oh, and the Quixotic Jedi template is CLEARLY a tribute to Don Wan-Kihotay, a character from the "Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven" arc from the first year of Marvel's Star Wars comics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Harlock999 said:

The only things in these two books that were not shown in the original trilogy are the Z-95 Headhunter from "Han Solo at Star's End," the Imperial Customs Frigate (created by West End Games?), swoop bikes from "Han Solo's Revenge," vibroblades from Brian Daley's Han Solo book trilogy,  and ... I think that's it.

The Sourcebook also includes a lot of concept artwork that was later transformed into actual stuff for the EU.

Oh, and the Quixotic Jedi template is CLEARLY a tribute to Don Wan-Kihotay, a character from the "Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven" arc from the first year of Marvel's Star Wars comics.

Like I said I'd be happy with just the Original Trilogy stuff. But I'm happy enough with those few extras to call them a bonus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Harlock999 said:

The only things in these two books that were not shown in the original trilogy are the Z-95 Headhunter from "Han Solo at Star's End," the Imperial Customs Frigate (created by West End Games?), swoop bikes from "Han Solo's Revenge," vibroblades from Brian Daley's Han Solo book trilogy,  and ... I think that's it.

The Sourcebook also includes a lot of concept artwork that was later transformed into actual stuff for the EU.

Oh, and the Quixotic Jedi template is CLEARLY a tribute to Don Wan-Kihotay, a character from the "Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven" arc from the first year of Marvel's Star Wars comics.

technically, "Don Wan Kihotay", and the Quixotic Jedi template were based upon Don Quixote. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2017 at 9:24 AM, splad said:

It is radically different than FFGs narrative dice system.

Mechanically, I would agree that the D6 and NarDS systems are lightyears apart (with some similarities). However, one is very much the spiritual successor of the other. NarDS is what D6 wanted to be when it grew up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Desslok said:

Mechanically, I would agree that the D6 and NarDS systems are lightyears apart (with some similarities). However, one is very much the spiritual successor of the other. NarDS is what D6 wanted to be when it grew up. 

The only similarity is the wild die in the D6 system but most systems have crits and crit failure systems but thats where the similarities end. I do not agree that D6 wanted to be anything but what it was and is. It won awards i yet to see FFG parallel that success with the litany of complicated discussion about why the rules done work. So while i enjoy your enthusiasm for it i disagree whole heartedly. D6 has stood the test of 30 years and is still popular, FFG could disappear without a trace and all but a handful of diehards will miss it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah a lot of systems have critical success and failure systems, but D6 was the unique in the four way access success/failure/trouble/happy axis. That, plus valuing Story over Mechanics is why I say NarDS is the spiritual successor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, splad said:

D6 has stood the test of 30 years and is still popular, FFG could disappear without a trace and all but a handful of diehards will miss it.

Hard comparison to make as NarDS has been around far less time. You'd have to compare NarDS 25 years from now to d6 now, especially since it had many years of support and revisions. We've yet to see NarDS's full potential and it came out of the gate swinging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rogue_09 said:

Hard comparison to make as NarDS has been around far less time. You'd have to compare NarDS 25 years from now to d6 now, especially since it had many years of support and revisions. We've yet to see NarDS's full potential and it came out of the gate swinging.

It is a novelty over functionality and many agree. It is a forced narrative with dysfunctional combat system. Bad rules parenting has the system now spread over several supplements. I'm all for a revision that puts it all in one book, especially a complete system rather than the radical fleecing that spread Rebels, Fringe and Jedi needlessly over three rule books. A clear and concise rule book with well planned flow of phase after phase step by step combat and skill check system. I've personally had it where one line to text turned a game decision about combat on its head and my rules jockey player who ended up being wrong had to be pointed out the line of text in the skill section not the combat section. Things like that. D6 was applauded for its cinematic approach from the get go meanwhile FFG has very big shoes to fill. I hope they do it because while i have a problem like many with the system but their source material is great, but I'm not paying for anymore core rules till FFG gets their broken system fixed.

Edited by splad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a forced narrative with dysfunctional combat system.

Okay, I'm curious what you see as problems of the combat system is?

1 hour ago, splad said:

Bad rules parenting has the system now spread over several supplements.

Unfortunately, that's the evils of Marketing raising it's head. The way books are published has changed a great deal in the last 30 years.

 

rather than the radical fleecing that spread Rebels, Fringe and Jedi needlessly over three rule books.

Well, the problem is that if you roll Edge, Age and Force into one volume, you wind up with a book that's up to a thousand pages, costs you 120 bucks and weighs 50 pounds. I don't recall the exact breakdowns, but back when the topic came up on a consistent basis, I did a rough page count of duplicate material vs new material. It was roughly 40% old stuff and 60% new stuff. The color, the assorted mechanics (duty vs obligation, a comprehensive Force powerset and so on), ships and planets, the canned game in the back - that stuff was all new.

So yes, 45 bucks times three (or 60 times three, if you're silly enough to pay MSRP) is kind of steep, but it's better than the alternative.

 I'm not paying for anymore core rules till FFG gets their broken system fixed.

The upside is that you probably wont have to (unless you count genesis - which we shouldn't - or the inevitable second edition, but that's at least another couple of years off). 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The obligation variant is all the same no need for three different types. The main difference is the expanded Jedi rules and source material. It would have been better of doing a standard basic rulebook with a sourcebook for weapons ship's etc. That would have made it more practical and less hefty.

As for the clunky rules. Take space combat the few options that a pilot has takes all the playability and creativity out of a combat scenario.I've heard of pilot characters quitting out of boredom. I saw one past that had the players come across tie fighter patrol and because the group was at medium the pilot just put on speed while the tech just repaired strain so they castrated the while scenario. Space combat in fact in general is slow and cumbersome. The D6 suited the star wars cinematic style perfectly imho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...