Sign in to follow this  
JusticeLizard

24 hours

So on November 4th there is going to be a charity game-a-thon called Extra Life. Participants will play games continuously for 24 hours to raise tax deductible donations for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals.  I figured this would be an excellent opportunity for me to play The Lord of the Rings Saga Campaign in one sitting.  If you would like to support the effort you can donate here http://bndfr.com/6q7q3

Or if any of you can be in the Akron, Ohio area on that day and want to help me get the ring from Bag End to Mount Doom in person, feel free to let me know.

And of course, if any of you have any ideas or advice (especially if you've done something like this before) I would be interested to hear it.

35 minutes ago, Authraw said:

What a great idea! Will you be live streaming / live blogging / live tweeting your progress? I'd love to tune in! :D

My team, Malarkey With Sprinkles, is planing to do some live streaming.  I'm not to savvy with that though so I hope somebody else will do the heavy lifting there.  As for blogging, I don't want to take too much time away from the gaming itself, but I thought (if people are interested) I might post updates of my progress here.

4 hours ago, JusticeLizard said:

Every day I get on hoping to see that it shipped.  I'll start getting anxious in October.

If you haven't got it by then let me know, I'd be happy to let you borrow my copy from Gencon for this cause. :)

Edited by Chris51261

Mountain of Fire has come, and I am set for my marathon play through of the saga campaign.  I want to thank everyone who donated to The Children's Miracle Network of Hospitals.  Plans are coming along, and I am experimenting with live streaming.  The one debate I have not solved is whether to play on easy mode or not.  The challenge is to do all the quests continuously, and having to repeat failures would be a pretty big hurdle.  But there is part of me that sees easy mode as a cop-out.  What do you guys think?

Did you play on solo? With 2 players I would say to play normal but in solo easy mode could be an option. What kind of deck did you plan to play? It can make a biggest difference than easy/normal mode ;).

6 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

If you want a chance at winning 18 consecutive quests (20 if you throw in the two print-on-demand) better do easy mode.  The odds will still be against you.

Definitely going to do the POD quests.

6 hours ago, Rouxxor said:

Did you play on solo? With 2 players I would say to play normal but in solo easy mode could be an option. What kind of deck did you plan to play? It can make a biggest difference than easy/normal mode ;).

There is a fellow LotR lcg fan in the area who has volunteered to join me.  He is bringing a Caldara deck.  To go with it I made a very agresive tactics deck.  In case real word problems keep him from showing day of, I am working on a contingency plan.  I am working on a five color hobbit deck.  I played it today against the Flame of the West scenarios, and got wins on the first try for all three.  It might have been a lucky draw or two though.

Playing with Caldara and a strong tactics deck (aka Boromir and stuff) allow you to go on normal mode. Playing solo mode is harder. And a hobbit deck, even if I like them a lot, is not on the same power level. So I will say to play easy. So prepare to the normal and switch if he doesn't come.

Well the dark lord won this time.  My partner had real life responsibilities, and we had do call it just before the black gate.  Although I was able to fulfill my 24 hours of gaming, but I'll regret not getting to the crack of doom.

GG. I never have played more than 8 or 9 hours straight and even at this point I feel myself diminished because I wasn't able to play as well as usual. I guess that 24 hours is a lot more exhausting and it is hard to focus and keep winning at the end ^^.

Can you finish with him this run later? So you will have play the 24 hours AND finish the campaign :).

For sure, it may seem insane, but as we were deliriously packing up, he was asking me to record our campaign set up so we can finish later.  Also my wife says she wants to play the campaign as a marathon.  There is never too much Lord of the Rings LCG!

Edited by JusticeLizard

Thanks for doing the stream! It was really fun to tune in throughout the day and see that you guys were still going at it. Well done, both of you. :)

Makes me want to run some sort of marathon stream myself--although I don't know that I would have the stamina for it.