Sign in to follow this  
Avi_dreader

How does evading the Dunwich Horror work?

Well...  This hasn't come up for a really long time...  But...  I checked the manuals and I'm uncertain how to handle this (of course, I'll play in the game's favor, but I'm still curious if I'm being overly punitive against myself).

Can you evade the Dunwich Horror after drawing its card to see its stats, but before making the horror check?

Edit: got it with a blessed Jenny at two fight with a flamethrower burst...  And all her three clue tokens.  Those were three *very* suspenseful rolls.  Heh ;'D

The manual says, "...every time an Investigator enters combat...shuffle and draw..."  Once you've entered combat, you have to make a Horror Check before you are given the option to flee.

jgt7771 said:

The manual says, "...every time an Investigator enters combat...shuffle and draw..."  Once you've entered combat, you have to make a Horror Check before you are given the option to flee.

Well...  That's how I played it...  Good thing I got lucky with my flamethrower ;'D

Eeerrrrmm.... How did you use your clue tokens on Combat check against 5-toughness monster? As far as I know from the basic rules, you can only use clues to modify your combat check against monsters with toughness no higher than 1.

Lesseps, I think you could be wrong. As far as I know, you are allowed to spend clues to add extra dice for any check you attempt to do, so why restrict this to monsters with toughness 1? In most cases, it's more likely you'll need an extra die (or more) for beating *tough* monsters (dholes, dunwich horrors, and similar stuff) rather than smashing to the ground a maniac or a cultist!

Julia said:

Lesseps, I think you could be wrong. As far as I know, you are allowed to spend clues to add extra dice for any check you attempt to do, so why restrict this to monsters with toughness 1? In most cases, it's more likely you'll need an extra die (or more) for beating *tough* monsters (dholes, dunwich horrors, and similar stuff) rather than smashing to the ground a maniac or a cultist!

Lady's got it right. Clues tokens are usable for any skill check (including special skill checks).

"A player may
spend Clue tokens, one at a time, after any skill check
(failed or not). Each spent Clue token allows the player
to roll one additional die; if the result is a success, it is
added to the total from the original roll." (p. 13)

Dam said:

Julia said:

Lady's got it right. Clues tokens are usable for any skill check (including special skill checks).

"A player may
spend Clue tokens, one at a time, after any skill check
(failed or not). Each spent Clue token allows the player
to roll one additional die; if the result is a success, it is
added to the total from the original roll." (p. 13)

Lessep's clone is right! ;'D