Sign in to follow this  

On Wattpad I have started to type up my own Journey to The Force Awakens fan fiction. Today I posted the Introduction and Prologue to the first story in The Darkening Expanse series. This series will consist of three main stories, a scattering of short stories and videos of gaming which contribute to the story. These games will be Armada, X-Wing and Star Wars Roleplaying. Each story is being typed up as close to chronological order as possible, meaning I keep the plot running smoothly. It will also help as I create the narrative campaign along the way, sliding in the appropriate game whenever possible.

Naturally, this type of storyline led campaign lends itself well to Roleplaying. Because the first chapter of the first story will happen immediately after Return of the Jedi, the Star Wars 30th Anniversary Roleplaying game will be perfect for the job. Over time I'll start to create First Order and Resistance vehicles and troops. Characters in the story will actually be characters in the RPG, and vice versa. As soon as I receive my copy of the 30th Anniversary, I'll get to know the rules and start turning my characters into RPG characters.

My plan with Armada is to play the game and keep a record of what goes on. Then I'll either play the character's part in an RPG scenario, in which the larger battle is happening but the focus is on the characters, or I'll write what happens if it would be too dull or too suicidal to play. Of course it would be fun to play out several linked games during a truly momentous battle.

X-Wing will mostly be kept to background games, with the characters off the board. At times though I will have characters actually on the table, as part of a special scenario where there's a good chance they won't be killed. In the unfortunate event that a ship they're on is destroyed, I'll try to write a logical reason for them surviving. Much will depend on the surrounding circumstances. Even without personally effecting the characters, X-Wing will provide a lot of background to the whole narrative. There's so many missions, and plenty of possible objectives, that they could be used to aid games of Armada too. All contributing to the overall story.

Here is the link to my Wattpad profile: https://www.wattpad.com/user/user32113709

I'll post each time I've typed up a new part of the story. I'm currently working on chapter one of Freedom's End, and the other two stories are just waiting for the timeline to reach them. Stay tuned for the continuation of this story and the gaming that adds to it.

48 minutes ago, splad said:

Maybe he is tactile and prefers the book or maybe he wants to support a worth while project such as this.

Yes and yes.

Never owned the original. Wanted some Star Wars Roleplaying without the three rulebooks and library of supplements. Was going to use another RPG system and wing it, but then this was announced. Woohoo! Done. I've heard many good things about this game. Partly from other excited folks who have played this and loved it. From what I've heard, it'll fit my fast paced style and not bog me down in a swamp of minutia.

2 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

What makes this project particularly  "worth while"?

Unlike you who is stuck on ffg star wars and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. But each to their own. As for the validity of this release. Their is a legion of D6 fans who adore this version of the game also their is also many members of the rpg community who have yet to be exposed to it and would love it, it is a smart move for ffg imho to tap this well. I think they are going to look at the consumption and response to this game and see if this is a viable extension to their library to that we have to wait and see.

4 hours ago, splad said:

Unlike you who is stuck on ffg star wars and I'm not saying that's a bad thing. But each to their own. As for the validity of this release. Their is a legion of D6 fans who adore this version of the game also their is also many members of the rpg community who have yet to be exposed to it and would love it, it is a smart move for ffg imho to tap this well. I think they are going to look at the consumption and response to this game and see if this is a viable extension to their library to that we have to wait and see.

Unlike me? You really don't know me at all. I love D6, I just don't see why it's worth throwing money to FFG for something that's free in pdf. As for exposing others to D6, I don't think this will really do that. This is just a money grab promotional. I can't fault FFG for trying to grab more cash, nor can I blame others if that's how they want to spend their money. However, I think it's idiotic to not at least read over the pdf before buying FFG's high priced book.

I would like to mention that there's a sizable community dedicated to d6 and d6 Star Wars in particular already, and they have released a bulk of content. Entire conversions of the d20/Saga material, fan-made Galaxy Guides, they even released the Revised, Expanded, Updated version (REUP), which is the the 2.5 edition with a fancy coat of paint on it, I think, and some modern art and newer Star Wars content within.

I'd also like to point out...

Now, forty years after the debut of A New Hope and thirty years after its first printing, Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game makes its return as a limited edition set of two lovingly recreated, hardcover books, Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game and The Star Wars™ Sourcebook!

Notice the bold text there. And also...

West End Games' Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game is a significant part of the wider Star Wars legacy, and Fantasy Flight Games is proud to present this limited, commemorative 30th Anniversary Edition!

So while I believe this announcement rekindled the fires of hope that d6 Star Wars would experience a resurrection, 'tis a hope founded on a shaky pedestal, I'm afraid. I believe this entire thing to be nothing more substantial than a holiday gift, available only for a short while.

Not to say I discourage attempts to develop on a liked system, but there are dedicated forums for such a thing, with a higher volume of like-minded fellows to build ideas off of. You may find better luck stirring up interest yonder, as well as find those who would better appreciate any work put forth.

@Donovan Morningfire I'm not so sure about smelly books, but Giles is right. Computer screens are nothing compared to the touch of a book, the feel of the pages as you turn them or the thrill of the hunt as you know something is in the book but you just cannot remember which page. 

I'm the sort of person who uses phones and emails, but I don't like them. I want to be face to face with people with my friends. To hear their voice, to see their facial expressions. To be with them in person. Technology cannot replace, and often diminishes, the personal closeness of being present with another human. Even Skype cannot replace actually being in the same room as another human. Why else would people with no "real world" social life but millions of social media friends feel lonely and sadly in some cases suicidal.

Do not be too proud of this technological wonder you have created. The ability to instantly communicate across the planet is insignificant compared to the real power of human to human interaction.

Granted owning a book and socializing are too different things. In fact, a book usually makes me anti-social as I sit in a quiet room to read. However the personal connection to an object is just as important to me. Why else do you think someone who hates modelling and painting is into Tabletop Miniature Games and has no interest in video games? See, smell, hear and touch. I still use dice! Pick them up, give them a shake and then let them roll. Often times, I even sing "shake, rattle and roll. Shake, shake, rattle and ro-o-o-oll" while I'm holding the dice between my palms and really shaking them. An app can't replace such fun.

@Blackbird888 I've never owned a special edition, limited edition or any other kind of one-off thing. So that is indeed part of the reason for me wanting to get this. I also never played or owned the original. I love Star Wars, love RPGs, but don't like the price tag of FFG's Star Wars RPG

@HappyDaze Hopefully the above answers the why I wanted to buy this. Other than the: "it's my money, I earned it and I wanted to spend it something that will make me happy" which is in of itself a valid answer. Now this topic has been hijacked enough, please go elsewhere to criticise those who dare to defy your logic and buy this. This is not a "why buy this" topic it is a "I'm writing fiction to combine with Star Wars games for one big narrative campaign". Like it or not, this is one of the games I'm using.

Edited by Pilot Tho Makk

5 hours ago, Blackbird888 said:

So while I believe this announcement rekindled the fires of hope that d6 Star Wars would experience a resurrection, 'tis a hope founded on a shaky pedestal, I'm afraid. I believe this entire thing to be nothing more substantial than a holiday gift, available only for a short while.

Not to say I discourage attempts to develop on a liked system, but there are dedicated forums for such a thing, with a higher volume of like-minded fellows to build ideas off of. You may find better luck stirring up interest yonder, as well as find those who would better appreciate any work put forth.

Yeah, I chose this knowing it wouldn't get further support.

I'm also on a couple of Google+ Communities, and might well join a few more. Last thing I expected upon posting this topic was a discussion about the merits of buying the game in the first place. I genuinely thought there was enough of that going on nobody would bother here.

And don't say it! Yes I am new to the whole forums thing. If I hear "welcome to the Internet" one more time.....

.....ok I'd probably laugh but don't say it anyway.

27 minutes ago, Pilot Tho Makk said:

Hopefully the above answers the why I wanted to buy this. Other than the: "it's my money, I earned it and I wanted to spend it something that will make me happy" which is in of itself a valid answer. Now this topic has been hijacked enough, please go elsewhere to criticise those who dare to defy your logic and buy this. This is not a "why buy this" topic it is a "I'm writing fiction to combine with Star Wars games for one big narrative campaign". Like it or not, this is one of the games I'm using.

I will go and post where I please. The responsibility to ignore posts you don't like is on you.

As for defying logic, you stated you wanted to start making characters for the D6 version as soon as you get it. I told you that--even if you decide to purchase it--you can get it right now, for free. I'm not saying don't use it, I'm saying that there's no need to wait regardless of whether you later purchase a physical copy. Not bothering to preview before plopping down the money is idiotic.

6 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

Not bothering to preview before plopping down the money is idiotic.

The Star Wars fans are many. I read reviews, opinions, whining, nerd rage, love stories, woohoos and boohoos. I then weigh up a decision as to whether or not something is worth my time and money.

To assume a man in his thirties who is on a budget would blindly put down money for something, which counts for double since I'm in the UK, without first weighing up his options is idiotic and to barrage his topic with criticism because of that assumption is both idiotic and rude.

You have the privilege of being my first ignore, because I will waste no further time or attention. Just like my money, I don't like them squandered.

1 hour ago, Pilot Tho Makk said:

The Star Wars fans are many. I read reviews, opinions, whining, nerd rage, love stories, woohoos and boohoos. I then weigh up a decision as to whether or not something is worth my time and money.

To assume a man in his thirties who is on a budget would blindly put down money for something, which counts for double since I'm in the UK, without first weighing up his options is idiotic and to barrage his topic with criticism because of that assumption is both idiotic and rude.

You have the privilege of being my first ignore, because I will waste no further time or attention. Just like my money, I don't like them squandered.

Glad to be of service.:P

EDIT: Also, since you're in the UK, you might want to know that it often takes FFG a long time to get some of its RPG products over that way. If you get tired of waiting, the pdf is always going to be an option.

Edited by HappyDaze
Just because.

8 hours ago, HappyDaze said:

Unlike me? You really don't know me at all. I love D6, I just don't see why it's worth throwing money to FFG for something that's free in pdf. As for exposing others to D6, I don't think this will really do that. This is just a money grab promotional. I can't fault FFG for trying to grab more cash, nor can I blame others if that's how they want to spend their money. However, I think it's idiotic to not at least read over the pdf before buying FFG's high priced book.

I don't know a single gm who runs games from pdf books. It less accessible and you hardly want to pass the laptop around to let other players look. While kindle reader may have the niche with the book market the reference text book will be hard to replace with anything.

2 hours ago, Pilot Tho Makk said:

lol Yea the broadside accusation and assumption while trying to make a point ends up more the insult than the topic lose lose heh. Ya nailed it:)

10 hours ago, splad said:

I don't know a single gm who runs games from pdf books. It less accessible and you hardly want to pass the laptop around to let other players look. While kindle reader may have the niche with the book market the reference text book will be hard to replace with anything.

The only time I've seen that is for GMs at conventions where the GM had to travel by plane and thus needed to pack light and thus bring only the essentials (clothes, toiletries, cables for devices, dice, character sheets for pre-gens).  But many of them, if they've got the option, prefer having an actual physical book on hand, as it's often much faster to flip open to the right page (more so if you've marked it with a sticky note) than scroll through a PDF as well as wait for the page to load if using a tablet.  My like to Giles was more of a tongue-in-cheek thing, though I do agree with the general sentiment he expressed, as I always prefer reading a physical book if the option exists.

There's also the matter of is the PDF available legally or is it a pirated PDF?  Since WEG never published any of their Star Wars books on PDF, having lost the license before PDFs were really a thing, it becomes a question of are sites like d6holocron engaging in digital piracy by offering up scans of all the various d6 sourcebooks as PDFs, even though the publisher has pretty much gone out of business?  Some folks might not care about such matters, while for others it's a big deal or even just a matter of moral choice.  As opposed to HappyDaze's posts, I'm not here to judge the OP for their decision on whether to buy the physical books or not, and in point of fact I wish him good fortune in his planned campaign no matter what system he winds up using for it.