Sign in to follow this  
BrobaFett

Space Rocks

I loved the Space Rocks obstacles since I got started, but initially I decided to drag my feet and buy them later, and then missed out because of the cease and desist. Since they shut down, all the other acrylic obstacles look like utter garbage, so I have been trolling ebay and trade sites looking for a set. Every once and a while one goes up, and I just missed a set because of a last second bid. But seriously, $159.00, plus $20 shipping for rocks...

I'm pretty tired of missing them in the random once every 6 months when a set pops up for an outrageously inflated price. Anyone have a set they are willing to trade?

Sadly not. I feel your pain though. I believe they made a Space Station and I really wanted one. 

I'm hoping FFG will know there are those of us who like such things in 3D as models and will make some. But we can't count on that. If I see any decent ones I'll let you know because I'm on the lookout.

Just now, GhostofNobodyInParticular said:

What?!?!?!!?!? Why?

I'm in the process of "minimising" my footprint and clutter. Over the past few weeks I've sold, donated or given away several dozen boardgames, hundreds of miniatures, hundreds of books, some furniture, loads of sports & outdoor equipment, and about fifteen large bags full of clothes. It feels really good to let go of junk I don't need. Armada... has made it this far. But it still must go - I can't justify keeping it considering I haven't played a single game in over two years.

4 hours ago, DiabloAzul said:

I'm in the process of "minimising" my footprint and clutter. Over the past few weeks I've sold, donated or given away several dozen boardgames, hundreds of miniatures, hundreds of books, some furniture, loads of sports & outdoor equipment, and about fifteen large bags full of clothes. It feels really good to let go of junk I don't need. Armada... has made it this far. But it still must go - I can't justify keeping it considering I haven't played a single game in over two years.

This breaks my heart.

6 hours ago, DiabloAzul said:

I almost bought a set of combat zone stuff a while back, but I just don't particularly like their stuff. I think it's the stuff on the base that throws me off. I like the a little more subdued space rocks design.

Shipping is a non-issue, cause man I would love those rocks if the buyer is willing to opt for using the standard ones :D

My story is the same and yeah I was bidding on that as well. When it jumped to 150 I bailed. Although I'm not sure why/how they sued. One is a 2d image one is 3d. The thing is Disney is so big it doesn't have to be right to win. It just has to threaten the little guy and that's that.

17 minutes ago, Shieldwolf said:

My story is the same and yeah I was bidding on that as well. When it jumped to 150 I bailed. Although I'm not sure why/how they sued. One is a 2d image one is 3d. The thing is Disney is so big it doesn't have to be right to win. It just has to threaten the little guy and that's that.

The problem for Space Rocks was 2 fold:

1) On the Armada side of things, the Debris Field 3D models utilised recasts of the FFG models in their production.  This was unauthorised and illegal.  (As in order to recast for derivative works you need permission from the copyright holder).  

It was nothing to do with the shape of the bases or anything like that - it was specifically, the debris field components.

2) On the X-Wing side of things, they produced (for profit) a very large Nebulon-B Frigate, that again, was unauthorised and illegal.

The moment they sold them for profit, they were directly infringing on the copyright holder, in this case, LFL and Disney.  The onus was on Disney to do something, and basically, as far as copyright law goes, they had to, because essentially if you fail to defend yourself when these little things come up, then basically, it erodes your legal ability to defend your rights when something big turns up, because you obviously didn't care about it back then, did you?

Space Rocks was in the wrong, legally speaking...  And then they got big and successful enough to get noticed.

Edited by Drasnighta