Wraithist

New Unit Predictions

Based on input from others on here, especially @Contrapulator and @Curlycross I've come up with some predictions for upcoming releases based on the model we've seen so far.

Each Faction will most likely have by next year:

Predictions will be in BOLDTALLICS

3 Heroes

• One Warrior hero
    • Waiqar - Ardus
    • Daqan - Hawthorne
    • Latari - Aliana
    • Uthuk - Ravos
    • they usually have a deployment special ability
  • One Hybrid Ranged hero
    • Waiqar - Maro
    • Daqan - Kari
    • Latari - Maegan Cyndewin
    • Uthuk - Malaana
    • they usually have an army composition special ability
  • One Special Hero
    • Waiqar - Kyndrithul the Vampire Lord (i'm 100% on this one)
    • Daqan - Leoric of the Book (wizard hero)
    • Latari - Lindel (Elf Scout/Archer Hero)
    • Uthuk - Q'aro Fenn (Bonewitch Hero)

Infantry

• Light Infantry
    • Waiqar - Reanimates
    • Daqan - Spearmans
    • Latari - Darnati Warriors
    • Uthuk - Berserkers
  • Archers
    • Waiqar - Reanimate Archers
    • Daqan - Crossbowmen
    • Latari - Deepwood Archers
    • Uthuk - Viper Legion
  • Heavy Infantry
    • Waiqar - Vampires
    • Daqan - Ironbound (100% sure)
    • Latari - Elf Knights/Swordmasters
    • Uthuk - Grotesques

Cavalry

• Heavy Cavalry
    • Waiqar - Death Knights
    • Daqan - Oathsworn
    • Latari - Yeron Riders
    • Uthuk - Scorpion Riders?
  • Light Cavalry
    • Waiqar - Wights
    • Daqan - Mounted Crossbowmen
    • Latari - Battlecats
    • Uthuk - Fleshrippers

Siege

• Siege 1
    • Waiqar - Carrion Lancers
    • Daqan - Rune Golem
    • Latari - Aymhelin Scion
    • Uthuk - Spined Thresher
  • Siege 2
    • Waiqar - Shambling Colossus
    • Daqan - Roc Warrior
    • Latari -  No idea, any suggestions?
    • Uthuk - Obscenes or Ynfernael Hulks

Extras I want to See

• Daqan - Greyhaven Battlemages

I'm probably doing to be surprised, but what do you all think?? Anything else you want to see?

I like how you categorize units. Supposing that this is really the way FFG categorize units, I'm not sure that all factions will/should have the same distribution of units among those categories. For example, I'm not sure elves should have any heavy infantry, if they want to emphasize the nimble nature of this faction. Factions asymmetry contributes to making each unique.

Not sure i'd call the leonx riders light cavalry. They are comparable to the DK/Oaths, with only slight changes much like they are to make them not carbon copies.

I hope that Daqan wizard hero is someone that buffs runegolems. Thats what i want for a third hero is some kind of Runeshaper or whatever they call the guys that builds those things.
Make them more durable (+1 armor or +1W), heal them, or even build them would be amazing.

2 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Not sure i'd call the leonx riders light cavalry. They are comparable to the DK/Oaths, with only slight changes much like they are to make them not carbon copies.

I hope that Daqan wizard hero is someone that buffs runegolems. Thats what i want for a third hero is some kind of Runeshaper or whatever they call the guys that builds those things.
Make them more durable (+1 armor or +1W), heal them, or even build them would be amazing.

Biggest problem with Rune Golems I see is their red armor modifier is difficult to use unless you want to give up an attack. Also it'd be interesting if their stun could be made ranged...

Edited by Glucose98

2 minutes ago, Vineheart01 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure that light vs. heavy is the correct paradigm. But it seems that some cavalry are hard-charging bruisers (Death Knights and Oathsworn), while others are a mobile assassin type unit (Wraiths and Battlecats).

17 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

Are elf knights / swordmasters that different from Darnati warriors?

See that's what I was wondering as in the lore they've mentioned heavily armored Elven swordmasters, but they seem too similar to Darnati Warriors... Maybe armored knights with shields like Syndrael?:

Image result for syndrael

Another possibility for Daqan light cavalry: the Riverwatch Riders. Lore Guide, page 12: "...acting as couriers and generally outpacing everyone..."   "When gathered in formation, the cavalry's deft and swift maneuvers terrify even the staunchest pikeman."

Edited by Xargonaut

2 minutes ago, Contrapulator said:

Yeah, I'm not sure that light vs. heavy is the correct paradigm. But it seems that some cavalry are hard-charging bruisers (Death Knights and Oathsworn), while others are a mobile assassin type unit (Wraiths and Battlecats).

And when the Yeron riders come out we'll have mobile assassin hard chargers. I'd say comparing the two the Yeron are more "heavy cav" than the battlecats.

10 minutes ago, Glucose98 said:

Biggest problem with Rune Golems I see is their red armor modifier is difficult to use unless you want to give up an attack. Also it'd be interesting if their stun could be made ranged...

One Golem used as a sand pit, not to attack an enemy unit, but just to use their special ability every turn to stack stun tokens combined with the armor modifier has worked out well for me in the past. 17 pts for a unit that takes 2-3 turns to kill and stops their bigger unit from doing much at all.

1 minute ago, Wraithist said:

One Golem used as a sand pit, not to attack an enemy unit, but just to use their special ability every turn to stack stun tokens combined with the armor modifier has worked out well for me in the past. 17 pts for a unit that takes 2-3 turns to kill and stops their bigger unit from doing much at all.

Yeah that's what I've used them for so far.. Though I've only had 3 games played! (need more)

I think it's great sign for the game's balance that the lines are blurry between different cavalry options.

Are elf knights / swordmasters that different from Darnati warriors?

I hope the Darnati Warriors are the heavy option, and the elves get a baby Groot looking dryad infantry unit. That would be just the best.

It would be great if we get more female soldiers in the future (not just female characters and heroes).

• Why not having the next Waiqar infantry unit as female vampires, or succubus.
  • I don't remember where it was in the world, but in ancient times existed a group of screaming female soldiers; could be appropriate for Uthuk (but I think they already got some kind of screamer character?).
  • For Daqan, why not having the Riverwatch Riders be female?
  • @Contrapulator idea of dryads for the elves is interesting, and they are female.
Edited by Xargonaut

1 hour ago, Drakthal said:

A Runewars quality version of the Broodwalkers from Descent would be awesome for the Waiqar forces! 

I was about to suggest these.
http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/Broodwalker

I'd also love to see some Barghest seeing as I won't be playing Uthuk after all and I miss out on my beautiful Fleshrippers.

230?cb=20160512200350

Edited by Muz333

1 hour ago, Xargonaut said:

Whatever the next cavalry unit the Elves get, I hope they have a ranged attack. It just makes sense for that kind of nimble and harassing army.

I think a Ranged Cavalry, mentioned above and below, is too much. Simply because they would just kite everything. run and shoot, run and shoot... They would probably equip a wind rune, run away shift and reform. Shoot. Reform, run away, etc.

1 hour ago, Wraithist said:
  • One Special Hero
    • Waiqar - Kyndrithul the Vampire Lord (i'm 100% on this one)
    • Daqan - Leoric of the Book (wizard hero)
    • Latari - Lindel (Elf Scout/Archer Hero)
    • Uthuk - Q'aro Fenn (Bonewitch Hero)
  • Heavy Infantry
    • Waiqar - Vampires
    • Daqan - Ironbound (100% sure)
    • Latari - Elf Knights/Swordmasters
    • Uthuk - Grotesques 
  • Light Cavalry
    • Waiqar - Wights
    • Daqan - Mounted Crossbowmen
    • Latari - Battlecats
    • Uthuk - Fleshrippers

How are you 100% sure of anything that hasn't been announced? :P I know you don't work for FFG...

Also I'd be doubtful Grotesques come out, only because they're a army command expansion unit.

17 minutes ago, Curlycross said:

I think a Ranged Cavalry, mentioned above and below, is too much. Simply because they would just kite everything. run and shoot, run and shoot... They would probably equip a wind rune, run away shift and reform. Shoot. Reform, run away, etc.

There are many handles to counter-balance this: they could shoot with a single blue dice, their shooting range could be shorter than 5, they could be expensive in terms of army points, etc.

3 minutes ago, Xargonaut said:

There are many handles to counter-balance this: they could shoot with a single blue dice, their shooting range could be shorter than 5, they could be expensive in terms of army points, etc.

They could also shoot only in their front arc, unless they equipped a really expensive Unique upgrade that allowed them to ignore firing arc when performing a ranged attack. I agree with you - there are a bunch of ways they could balance it, drawing on their many lessons from X-wing.

2 hours ago, Xargonaut said:

Another possibility for Daqan light cavalry: the Riverwatch Riders. Lore Guide, page 12: "...acting as couriers and generally outpacing everyone..."   "When gathered in formation, the cavalry's deft and swift maneuvers terrify even the staunchest pikeman."

In the little bit of lore written in the Oathsworn Cavalry expansion, they mention that they already include the Riverwatch Riders, it's just that they wear heavier armor and weapons in that role.  Not to say that they couldn't put out light cavalry and name them that anyway :)  In Battlelore the Daqan have both Riverwatch Riders (fast cavalry that don't hit that hard but have a powerful supporting ability) and Citadel Lancers (slower, heavy cavalry without the support ability but harder hitting).  The Oathsworn Cavalry seem to be a compromise between the two.

2 hours ago, Curlycross said:

How are you 100% sure of anything that hasn't been announced? :P I know you don't work for FFG...

See if you guess their next releases right, then you battle FFG itself in a game of your choice, loser dies, winner becomes the new FFG.