tpm1ca

How many tokens?

Hi all:

This may be heretical, but I'm drowning in tokens - focus, evade, shield, stress, etc. - and I'm looking to pare down the piles. In addition to having both basic sets - red and blue - I also have a number of expansion ships, each of which came with tokens. Obviously, some ships have tokens for unique abilities - so I'll keep all of those. But it's the general purpose tokens that are taking up space.

So the question is, how many tokens is enough?

Has anybody else pared down their token supply? Any suggestions for doing so?

I typically play games with 100 points per side - so I'm thinking maybe I keep enough to equip ships in a 150 point game (in case that ever happens).

Thanks in advance for any guidance other than "keep them all, what are you thinking?!?" ;-)

Cheers!

- Trevor

I don't know that there is a perfect number for things like focus, evade, stress, ion, shield, etc.

I simply keep a bunch on hand, more than I think I'll ever need, but easily more than 60% or more of the tokens that have come in all the expansions just sit in a box in the closet.

If you're looking to have enough tokens for a 150pt game, then the following would be needed:

12 Focus ->  12 Z-95s or TIE/lns

12 Evade -> 12 TIE/lns

12 Target Lock Pairs ->  12 Z-95s (You could take 24 to ensure no duplicates, but the base ones are double sided so not needed)

32 Shields -> 6 B wings @ 5 shields + A Wing @ 2 shields

And stress based on what you want.  I would recommend 150% of the number of ships (aka, 18 for your point)

The rest you can grab 10 or so for each since they're all specific to special activities.

Khyros is giving the 'worst case secnario' of course.  Realistically, for a 100 point game 5 of each token and 10 shields should be plenty.  If you tend to play low PS ships you might go 10 of each any 15-20 shields.  

I have one of my wife's shoe boxes from a pair of boots completely filled with tokens, bases plates, posts, doubles of unique cards, and such.  I only carry about 10 of each token and 20 shields (I like to have enough for a 2 player game) in my case.  

I keep everything. Imagine a scenario where you decide to start selling off your collection. You'll want to have the appropriate number / type of tokens for each ship, right? So yeah, for your portable gaming kit, grab a handful and go with those. I have a plastic case with various different tokens for portability. But I have a box at home with every token from every ship.

Just in case. :)

I throw nothing away. I have a medium-sized storage box that holds token overflow as well as limited use things like epic ship debris, extra mine and bombs and tracking tokens. You never know when an opponent will show up short of needed tokens. 

Here I thought I wouldn't be an outlier. I got to the point where I was finding shield tokens and focus tokens under the couch, stuck to walls, everywhere really. I started throwing away everything just so I wouldn't find the confounded things everywhere I went. Now I only punch out the dials and any unique tokens from the new ships I buy and throw the rest of the shield, focus/evade, TL, crit tokens away. In my case I have probably 15 of each token type (not counting acrylics), and I've never found a situation where I was needing more. In our playgroup we've even adopted two d10 dice to count stress whenever someone's playing Tycho.