Sign in to follow this  
DiabloAzul

A side effect of Wave Heaven?

Is it just me, or is there an unusually high number of new posters active in the forums since GenCon and the Wave VII announcements?

If true, that is fantastic news!

Also: in the past, wave announcements have invariably led to rage-quits, sky-is-falling rants, and especially heated confrontations on rules interpretation. Not so this time - everything has been so... civil.

Is this the Golden Age of Armada?

Wait, as a newish poster I would like to think many have been lurking for a while. Waiting, watching, for the right time to strike. I like the think of it like Jaws. Ominous music playing, suddenly from the depths as a new wave is released a new form poster springs forth to unleash an unspeakable torrent of civility and interest!!!! Then decends back to the depths to wait for it's next victim. Mods are helpless in this new tide of terror striking their boards, knowing it could destroy the troll season if the boards become too civilized. In a last attempt they find Admiral Nelson and contract him to slay the beast!! But his Internet is too slow, and is devoured! Finally the beast it's slain by the ultimate weapon.... A new wave! All returns to normal in the Armada boards with the beast slain. But all live in fear of that fatefull summer.....THE END?

52 minutes ago, ovinomanc3r said:

There was already one big debate with the Matryoshka issue but it run quite peacefully.

The Raddus Russian Doll tactic isn't really a legitimate issue, as it's basically impossible to happen in anything other than hypothetical circumstances. The only real question that might come up in real gameplay is whether you can use Raddus and Profundity in the same turn. Which DiabloAzul largely and theatrically explained as you can do.

34 minutes ago, Mward1984 said:

The Raddus Russian Doll tactic isn't really a legitimate issue, as it's basically impossible to happen in anything other than hypothetical circumstances. The only real question that might come up in real gameplay is whether you can use Raddus and Profundity in the same turn. Which DiabloAzul largely and theatrically explained as you can do.

It is really the same issue. Just with one doll less.

4 minutes ago, ovinomanc3r said:

It is really the same issue. Just with one doll less.

No, the issue with the RRD is what happens if you start the game with no models on the board, but none of them destroyed as per the rules.

2 hours ago, DiabloAzul said:

Is it just me, or is there an unusually high number of new posters active in the forums since GenCon and the Wave VII announcements?

If true, that is fantastic news!

Also: in the past, wave announcements have invariably led to rage-quits, sky-is-falling rants, and especially heated confrontations on rules interpretation. Not so this time - everything has been so... civil.

Is this the Golden Age of Armada?

This is the Tibanna Age for armada indeed!

40 minutes ago, Mward1984 said:

No, the issue with the RRD is what happens if you start the game with no models on the board, but none of them destroyed as per the rules.

That is another issue, related though, but what I was talking about is the debate about if is possible to trigger several effects with the same time when you need to resolve one of them first in order to "uncover" the others. That is the Matryoshka debate I pointed.

The full-blown Raddus Bomb relies on both of the following to be possible:

• Hyperspace Assault allowing zero ships to be deployed on round 1
  • Two upgrade cards with the same timing both resolving even when the second card is only brought into play by resolving the first.

Both of these points have been extensively debated. In both cases, the discussion has been unusually constructive and polite.

6 minutes ago, DiabloAzul said:

The full-blown Raddus Bomb relies on both of the following to be possible:

• Hyperspace Assault allowing zero ships to be deployed on round 1
  • Two upgrade cards with the same timing both resolving even when the second card is only brought into play by resolving the first.

Both of these points have been extensively debated. In both cases, the discussion has been unusually constructive and polite.

I have to say, I can't wait for an official "Yes, you may perform the Raddus bomb" from FFG, it would be awesome if they allowed and recognized the name. @Drasnighta needs to be taken into playtest for all waves, he always has an idea out of the box that fiddles with the procedures of the rules.

I'm just getting into Armada now. Trying to finalize a list of things to purchase, and my experience on these boards has been pretty great. Combine that with the plethora of ships I can choose from. I'm really excited for this. I think I picked a good time to jump from X-Wing dog fights to fleet vs fleet action. 

I noticed a lot of new faces here, as well as on Vassal and it has been huge for injecting some new excitement into the game.

I got in wave 1, and considered wave 2 my favorite time to play armada, mostly because I felt like there were SO many options at my disposal. Now I look around and see how far the game has come since then and am super happy that I still feel like it is my favorite time to play Armada.

Not that there aren't flaws, aren't things broken, aren't things that frustrate the **** out of me.... but I can play Armada almost every day of the week and have fun, which is just great.

I prefere this forum to x wing even though i post more on the x wing forum . It seems far more relaxed . Iam a big x wing player and just (last 2 months) bought loads of armada stuff and really enjoying it  . 

Ive just bought a load of the lcg too and really enjoying that too . Next in line is destiny . 

Its a problem ive had around this time of year for the last few years (since episode 7?) 

16 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

archer-i-am-literally-wet-with-jealousy.

Mad jealous, I'd play every day if I could, even when I lose Armada gives me an outlet to relax.

Don't get me wrong, I get table games once every couple of months, so I get crazy withdrawals there. But thanks to Vassal I get to play Armada constantly against some of the best and nicest players in the world and it keeps me sharp. I enjoy Vassal 96.5% as much as I enjoy playing on an actual table.

21 minutes ago, BrobaFett said:

Don't get me wrong, I get table games once every couple of months, so I get crazy withdrawals there. But thanks to Vassal I get to play Armada constantly against some of the best and nicest players in the world and it keeps me sharp. I enjoy Vassal 96.5% as much as I enjoy playing on an actual table.

I wish I could use vassal. Not being able to see in 3D space cripples me, which sounds dumb for a game played on a 2D surface but for some reason it's a huge adjustment for me.

It will stay civil until someone that has some kind of outside authority will attempt to make a ruling that can have a global effect without FFG ruling. For example say someone ruled that Thwarn simply puts the new commad over your stack (makes about as much sense as both third party ruling for Sloane, especially the one where defender would get the defense token bonus lol). Then you can bet your *** it wont stay civil. Because when someone takes it upon himself to make a ruling thats not needed, it hurts everyone, smaller community tournament looks online for clarifications on rules, will use what bigger organizer use. You want forum to stay civil, FFG just needs to be on the balls with rulings and we need people involved in the bigger community to follow rules as printed unless it puts the game itself in peril, something Sloane wasent even close to doing in her RAW. Just learn from the mistakes of the past and shitstorm wont happen agan.

If the Raddus bomb is legal, the implications are troubling. 

Now when after you execute a maneuver on an asteroid and if you pull a crit that says "when/after you execute a maneuver", it resolves. And what does it mean for Boarding Engineers?

FFG will make a decision at some point. I just want everything to follow the same logic. 

14 minutes ago, mintek917 said:

It will stay civil until someone that has some kind of outside authority will attempt to make a ruling that can have a global effect without FFG ruling. For example say someone ruled that Thwarn simply puts the new commad over your stack (makes about as much sense as both third party ruling for Sloane, especially the one where defender would get the defense token bonus lol). Then you can bet your *** it wont stay civil. Because when someone takes it upon himself to make a ruling thats not needed, it hurts everyone, smaller community tournament looks online for clarifications on rules, will use what bigger organizer use. You want forum to stay civil, FFG just needs to be on the balls with rulings and we need people involved in the bigger community to follow rules as printed unless it puts the game itself in peril, something Sloane wasent even close to doing in her RAW. Just learn from the mistakes of the past and shitstorm wont happen agan.

I'm just waiting for someone to rule that if you use Thrawn and they Cham your ship it effects the Thrawn dial too, because "it effects all the dials".

Or someone else to say you can discard the Thrawn dial to get a token from it on each ship. Which I'm 99% sure you cant because the rules say you have to discard a dial after you reveal it to get a token, and you don't "reveal" the Thrawn dial on each ship. Still, I'm sure someone will try it somewhere.